Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Unread 06-17-2007, 01:13 AM   #61
Lady_Choy
Like, ohemgee!

Just curious... but how would I know if a corset I'm getting will eventually get my waist smaller?

Unread 06-17-2007, 01:25 AM   #62
Lady_Choy
Like, ohemgee!

Ok, that's good to know! Thank you!! ^_^
By the way, on this website: http://www.versatilefashions.com/pro...roducts_id=679
It shows a picture of a model wearing the corset and it says the corset comes with PVC. What's that? And it says that the corset is shown with a VF petticoat or something. So basically, if I got the petticoat and corset, the outfit would look like it does in the picture (w/ diff. colors of course).
Sorry about the double post... SOmeone posted, but then deleted their post... o_o

Last edited by Lady_Choy : 06-17-2007 at 01:29 AM.
Lady_Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2007, 02:32 AM   #63
KittyCanuck
Ph.D. in Horribleness

PVC is a type of plastic polymer. It's what is known as vinyl. In clothing, it's like a plastic fabric, but it can be hard and used for things like siding for houses.

In that item, it would be the dark pink shiny bits on the corset. ^_^

<---- I'm the dinosaur, not the dude.
KittyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2007, 04:00 PM   #64
Natalie21

Another Question

Since we have been talking about corsets, I'm trying to find this one but have had no luck. I emailed to model in this pic and she said she got it from Charlotte Russe probably 2-3 years ago. Anyone know where to find it or what exactly its called and what not? Thanks!

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...en-US:official
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 02:13 AM   #65
Ludger03
Corpse Shell Wielder

I was wondering where can i find this type of corset?
Im looking around like crazy and no results. however its looks simple to create so im willing to learn from tutorial or websites.

its small and has laces in front
Fire Emblem Fates-Felicia & Jakob )
Ludger03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 03:08 AM   #66
Mangochutney
probably a frackpants

That's not a corset, that's a halter top with a laced-up front.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Your Mother [Debbie Does Dallas XXIII] (8%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 03:48 AM   #67
Punkbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Choy View Post
Just curious... but how would I know if a corset I'm getting will eventually get my waist smaller?
You would have to purchase a steel boned corset that's 4 inches smaller than your natural waist size. A plastic boned corset won't do anything except warp after a few wears. To further decrease the waist size, you can 'waist train'.

Something to consider: Your waist will only be smaller inside the corset, and the only way to permanently decrease your waist is to loose weight. Some people have bought corsets thinking that the corset will make their waist smaller permanently, which it doesn't.
Punkbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 07:16 AM   #68
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

If you're really thinking about 'training', see a pro who makes tailor-made corsets. If you just want your waist to look smaller in a costume, a less expensive, store-bought (or self-made), steel-boned corset will probably do. As Punkbuster said, measured on the outside, your waist will still be pretty much the same because there's boning and several layers of fabric on top - but it will look smaller compared to your hips and bust.

Tight-lacing, however, can be dangerous (and painful) if the corset isn't tailor-made. Actually, if you 'train' your waist, you'll have to get a new, smaller corset from time to time - you can't just start off with a 20" waist^^
Kukkii-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 01:37 PM   #69
Ludger03
Corpse Shell Wielder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
That's not a corset, that's a halter top with a laced-up front.
oh thank you. You see she is known to wear some, but yeah i wasn't sure if it was or not that why i ask. ^^ thank you

EDIT: Turns out it is a black corset. I check the yugioh Biography book i have and it clearly says it is. So any website would be helpful ^^

Last edited by Ludger03 : 11-29-2007 at 04:45 PM. Reason: edit
Unread 11-29-2007, 03:19 PM   #70
Punkbuster

Live journal has some GREAT corset and tightlacing groups. I myself have had some perfectly made corsets, and you forget you're even wearing them since they're so comfy. I had another one just to wear under clothing (not for looks at all), and it was so uncomfortable, even with a liner.

If anyone is to wear a corset, always wear a liner. It prevents the corset from comming in contact with your bare skin, which will lengthen the life of the corset and prevent sore/rub spots. They make a world of difference!
Punkbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 04:46 PM   #71
Ludger03
Corpse Shell Wielder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkbuster View Post
Live journal has some GREAT corset and tightlacing groups. I myself have had some perfectly made corsets, and you forget you're even wearing them since they're so comfy. I had another one just to wear under clothing (not for looks at all), and it was so uncomfortable, even with a liner.

If anyone is to wear a corset, always wear a liner. It prevents the corset from comming in contact with your bare skin, which will lengthen the life of the corset and prevent sore/rub spots. They make a world of difference!
does it have any tutorials?
Unread 11-29-2007, 08:49 PM   #72
Kukkii-san
Wig Mage

yamibakura03, well, then that's a too generous use of the term 'corset' and they don't know what they're talking about^^ It is, at best, a corsage, with or without lightweight plastic boning. You should be able to get a Simplicity pattern for this sort of thing - or any other brand.

A corset, by definition, extends over the waist, it is always boned, and the lacing is there not just for decorative purposes or as a closure, but it actually changes the shape of the wearer's body.
Kukkii-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 09:18 PM   #73
Blasphemy Blue
Robot Unicorn

The thing Mai is wearing could slightly more accurately be described as a bodice with a choker. I'd check out Renaissance clothing sites, I've seen some at the Faire I work at with and without straps.

+Planned Conventions for 2010 +

Nan Desu Kan - Denver

+Planned Conventions for 2011 +

Sakuracon - Seattle
Anime Expo - Los Angeles [ AND/OR ] Anime Evolution - Vancouver
Nan Desu Kan - Denver

Planned costumes listed in profile
Blasphemy Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2007, 10:04 PM   #74
Ludger03
Corpse Shell Wielder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kukkii-san View Post
yamibakura03, well, then that's a too generous use of the term 'corset' and they don't know what they're talking about^^ It is, at best, a corsage, with or without lightweight plastic boning. You should be able to get a Simplicity pattern for this sort of thing - or any other brand.

A corset, by definition, extends over the waist, it is always boned, and the lacing is there not just for decorative purposes or as a closure, but it actually changes the shape of the wearer's body.
yup from what i read and look around about corsets, that basically what there meant for.

and books can be misleading. they dont know much about clothing since Anime can alternate something and easily confused of what it is.

Thanks guys ^^.

Last edited by Ludger03 : 11-29-2007 at 10:09 PM.
Unread 11-30-2007, 12:20 PM   #75
Goddess Iduna

Yep, that would be a bodice. This McCall's pattern would be great for that top. http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M4...ostumes&page=3 You can probably go to Jo Ann fabrics, or some other fabric store, and find it a lot cheaper.
Goddess Iduna is offline   Reply With Quote