Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.
Unread 03-23-2003, 10:58 AM   #1
Setsuna22
Angel in disguise

Proper wig care^^

Okay, I have a couple questions about wigs, so if you don't know the answers to all of them, feel free to tell me what you do know, I would really appreciate it.

1. How do you keep makeup from getting on your wigs? I am doing a costume where I wear a lot of makeup, and the wig has long bangs and hair that touches my cheeks. I just don't want it to get messy.

2. In the case it does get messy, how do I go about cleaning it?

3. What is the best way to store LONG wigs?

4. How do you "de-ratify" a wig? My Theater teacher got rid of a bunch of wigs, and let me have one. I got to pick which one I wanted, but they were all pretty ratty.... So I picked the least ratiest one, and have been trying to improve it. Its just tangled, and there are lots of hairs sticking out in random directions, giving it a fuzzy look to it. It's about shoulder length.

I think that's it! Thanks^_^
Setsuna22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-23-2003, 11:09 AM   #2
Miaka No Baka
All Haro belong to me!

1) umm you dont but usually I haven't had a problem of makeup rubbing off on my wigs umm what kind are u using? if it's normal everyday wear make up you should be fine.

2)clean your wigs by using a special wig conditioner wash you can get it at stores that sell wigs, more specially at stores that sell wigs for everyday wear.

3) twist the length of hair up tight then curve the hair up into the place where you put your head then store in the baggie you get it in. or a zip loc baggie.

4)to de-ratify you'll need any spray detangler. You can go to the grocery store and pick up one. You can get the suave kids one that comes in a green bottle it'll leave your wig smelling of apples ^_^ but start working at the bottom working the tangles out there then work your way up little by little spraying the detangler on the tangled and frizzy areas. I would detangle the wig before you wash it because if it is already tangled washing it might make it a lot worse.

Miaka no Baka
Miaka No Baka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2003, 12:36 PM   #3
Setsuna22
Angel in disguise

Hahaha! I'm not that unsanitary. I sprayed it with some disinfectant before I put it near my head :P
Setsuna22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2003, 01:40 PM   #4
Juliechan27

the best way to store a long wig is to keep it on a stand with the hair hanging down, and pulled together. as for de-ratifying... lots of conditioner, or use a firm bistle brush (one without the little balls on the ends/ hard pastic teeth on the end of the brushing part- the hair can get caught and pulled out by them).
Juliechan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2003, 11:18 AM   #5
yayahan
YayaHan.com

I would always put wigs away in plastic or boxes because dust will destroy the plastic after time.
Unread 03-24-2003, 01:19 PM   #6
Ginny
Bad Wolf
Special Agent

Yes, all my wigs are in ziploc type plastic bags. For long ones I twist up length into kinda like a ball and place it in the wig.

You can use very mild soap and water to get out any dirt in them.

And if you're detangling a long wig, get wig conditioner, and start combing from the BOTTOM first. If you start at the top, it makes more knots. Detangle from the bottom up. And use lots of conditioner.

^___^
Unread 03-25-2003, 12:55 AM   #7
Catatonic_Van

If one of my long wigs aren't styled or aren't heavily styled I'll store them in pantyhose. It seems kind of weird, I know, but it's a good way to recycle that damn hose with runs, and once the wigs are in there they don't tangle. You can coil 'em up and store 'em in a box or whatever.
Catatonic_Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2003, 01:27 AM   #8
Ukayoru no Chou
Visually Oriented Culture

No tips, but just the bitter sadness that, If I had only known when I bought my Lime wig ,It would be in a much.. ..much happier state..@_@
Ukayoru no Chou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2003, 01:37 AM   #9
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

I second that regarding my Kuja wig.

Poor, poor Kuja wig...

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2003, 03:41 PM   #10
HuongStar

Re: Proper wig care^^

Quote:
Originally posted by Setsuna22
1. How do you keep makeup from getting on your wigs? I am doing a costume where I wear a lot of makeup, and the wig has long bangs and hair that touches my cheeks. I just don't want it to get messy.
If you can't style the hair away from your face, there isn't much you can do as far as preventing make-up from getting on your wig. The only precaution I can recommend is to set your makeup with some sort of powder so there will be minimal transfer to the wig fibers.

Quote:
2. In the case it does get messy, how do I go about cleaning it?
Use your best judgement about when to wash your wig, but remember that the more you wash it, the faster it will wear out. Just like the hair on your head, there is a certain amount of hair lost each time you wash it, and some wigs are worse than others. When the time comes to wash your wig, you can buy certain wig shampoos, but the cheapest and easiest way to is to use liquid laundry detergent.

1) Draw enough cool to lukewarm water in a large pan or bowl to immerse hairpiece well. Don't use hot water or it will remove body and may damage fiber.

2) Dissolve approximately one tablespoon of wig cleaner or shampoo, along with one tablespoon of baking soda. Swish hairpiece around in solution. If front of cap and/or hair area has makeup on it, make a paste of baking soda and shampoo and gently scrub with an old toothbrush until clean. Baking soda acts as a cleaning booster and will usually cut though the heaviest makeup or styling product residue in the hair or on the cap.

3) Rinse well in plenty of cool water.

4) Draw a pan or tubful of fresh water. Dissolve one or two tablespoons of conditioner in water. Swish and work mixture throughout piece. Do not rinse. Lay piece on towel and pat to remove excess moisture.

5) Pin piece on wig form and pick or comb out gently, starting from ends and working up strand to root area. DO NOT BRUSH THE WIG WHILE WET. Use a synthetic wig conditioner hairpiece lightly after each washing as well (for longer hairpieces, use each time your hairpiece is worn.) Conditioner build up is good and provides a longer life for synthetic hair, eliminates static electricity (which can also damage fiber) and makes fiber look healthy. Arrange hair to resemble desired style. If time is an issue, a blowdryer may be used but don't get the dryer too close to the fiber. It could remove the curl. If necessary, a curling iron may be used on WARM or LOW setting.

If your wig picks up environmental smells (smoke, food, perfume, etc.) between washings, you can lightly mist it with Lysol and let it air-dry on a hanger of some sort.

Quote:
3. What is the best way to store LONG wigs?
Once the wig is combed out, I usually wrap the ends loosely with a hairband and pull a hair net over it. The best way to store your wig is on a wire wig Stand or wig "perch" stand. This will keep your wig fresher and maintain its style between wearings. Keep your wig in a clean place, away from dust, sources of high heat, and excessive humidity. Several websites recommend that you never enclose (except while traveling) in a box or plastic bag but I'm not sure what/how else you could store your wig! O_o

Quote:
4. How do you "de-ratify" a wig? I picked the least ratiest one, and have been trying to improve it. Its just tangled, and there are lots of hairs sticking out in random directions, giving it a fuzzy look to it.
You should use a soft padded vent brush, pick, or wide tooth comb to style synthetic wigs so that they don't frizz or tear. Some wigs may be beyond repair but if this one doesn't look too bad, I would try cleaning it and gently combing it out with a wide-tooth comb and silicone-based wig spray. Use the product sparingly as silicone will make the fibers fairly slick.
Unread 03-27-2003, 01:34 AM   #11
KaraokeKate
The Wig Lady

I gotta agree with Yaya and G-Chan on the storage options. All of my wigs (and the wigs for my customers) are stored in large ziplock bags. It's also important to keep them away from heat and direct sunlight. (To avoid fading.)

Keeping it on the wig form is best for pre-con situations, just to keep the shape, but you shouldn't leave it out for long periods of time, as it'll get dusty. (And it's not so easy to get dust out from between thousands of plastic fibers!) o_0'

www.katiebair.com
KaraokeKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 02:46 AM   #12
MsBee81

Any good recommendations for wig sprays?

also I have this one long straight hot pink wig and its about 41 inches, pretty...but! it always tangles and barely behaves. The ends have gotten frizzed due to me fussing with it. Is there anyway to repair the ends? and Control my pink nightmare? :[
MsBee81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2009, 08:02 AM   #13
allizarnara
cosplay Lover.

As for the make up issue, use a finisher on your make up so your make up won't come off on anything. I forget what brand mine was. Long wigs, I braid mine and put them on foam heads. if you don't want to make the investment for foam heads, a bag or box will do just fine. For detangling A. make sure your brush is good for wigs. B. START FROM THE BOTTOM otherwise you will make the situation worse instead of better. C. Be very VERY patient, work with the wig (They have minds of their own) Good luck!
allizarnara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2009, 05:50 AM   #14
white_rabbit
rabid fangirl

My knee length wig has gone all knotted up X.X What I have done with the help of mum, is put it into the bath tub filled with cool water. We added fabric softener to it, so make it easier to comb. It is a long process, but it looks much, much, better already.

After reading this I am going to buy dome detangler spray to ease it more, and mum is gonna work on more tomorrow.
white_rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2011, 01:33 PM   #15
peppermeek
YO MAMMY >:3

I'm so glad I checked here for help, I was about to be in trouble with my crappily-made-out-of-hair-cat-eared-long-wig~

anyways, to untangle it, I got some olive oil sheen (conditioning hair spray) and started combing from the bottom to the top.

•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•
::: (\_(\ ...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*
*: (=' w') :::::::: Peppermeek :::::::::::
•.. (,('')('')¤...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*...*... *...*
¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸
peppermeek is offline   Reply With Quote