Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Detour

Unread 10-25-2006, 10:05 AM   #1
XanaTenshi
Looking for Magic

Talking Tell me what to expect at Anime Detour!

I'm a native of Minneapolis but have been away in Virginia and Japan for years! I'm finally back on my home turf and am going to attend my first Anime Detour. Can anyone tell me how many people attend? What to expect? How is the dealers room? Etc?

I met some of you at CONvergence this year because we were on the same manga/anime panels. I hope to see some familiar faces in March!

Unread 10-26-2006, 08:54 PM   #2
Singe
Out of the Cosplay Loop

Well, this year they're limiting registration to 3000 people, which is probably a good thing, since the Thunderbird Ramada) isn't the biggest hotel, though it is laid out pretty well for this sort of thing. Most of the people are pretty friendly, especially the older/more experienced cosplayers. A few of the newer cosplayers last year were kinda bratty (no offense meant...but there were times when I felt like I was back home and at my high school with some of the snobbery) but I suppose every con has some of those.

Dealer's room is a a little on the samll side, but much bigger than it was the first year, and always has a wide range of things to sell. Most of the booths carry different items/series/brands so not every booth is an explosion of say...Naruto gear.

Consuite: Always entertaining. My room was actually right next to is last year. XD I remember going in at some god forsaken hour in the morning for a huge bowl of instant ramen. Plus the plastic floor covering makes amusing noises when walked on in Jrock-ish boots. ^.^ Oh, and I have yet to see an eating contest (unlike AI a few years ago when on he last day of the con they realized they had a closet full of cheesy poof things because no one had put them out during the rest of the con, and therefore people started random contests to get rid of them)

Artist Alley: Good variety, some recurring groups/artists. Always worht a look. ^.^ Last year someone had a booth selling these awesome hats that looked like various animals.

Can't think of anything else to type...so hope that helps. ^.^

Last edited by Singe : 10-26-2006 at 08:59 PM.
Singe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 07:46 AM   #3
XanaTenshi
Looking for Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singe
Well, this year they're limiting registration to 3000 people, which is probably a good thing, since the Thunderbird Ramada) isn't the biggest hotel, though it is laid out pretty well for this sort of thing. Most of the people are pretty friendly, especially the older/more experienced cosplayers. A few of the newer cosplayers last year were kinda bratty (no offense meant...but there were times when I felt like I was back home and at my high school with some of the snobbery) but I suppose every con has some of those.

Dealer's room is a a little on the samll side, but much bigger than it was the first year, and always has a wide range of things to sell. Most of the booths carry different items/series/brands so not every booth is an explosion of say...Naruto gear.

Consuite: Always entertaining. My room was actually right next to is last year. XD I remember going in at some god forsaken hour in the morning for a huge bowl of instant ramen. Plus the plastic floor covering makes amusing noises when walked on in Jrock-ish boots. ^.^ Oh, and I have yet to see an eating contest (unlike AI a few years ago when on he last day of the con they realized they had a closet full of cheesy poof things because no one had put them out during the rest of the con, and therefore people started random contests to get rid of them)

Artist Alley: Good variety, some recurring groups/artists. Always worht a look. ^.^ Last year someone had a booth selling these awesome hats that looked like various animals.

Can't think of anything else to type...so hope that helps. ^.^
Thanks for the run down! I'm hoping to get some friends to go with me, but they don't cosplay. So I'm going to be a little lonely I think. I'm used to going to big East Coast cons with a group of friends (about 6-8) who are really into cosplay. Alas, I don't live in Virginia anymore so back home in Minneapolis I'm trying to make some new friends who cosplay.

How goes the Kirin costume? My friends are trying to get me to make Sohryu's for a con next year. We had a Byakko, Touda, and Suzaku, so they want me to be another shikigami. XD
Unread 10-27-2006, 09:56 AM   #4
Singe
Out of the Cosplay Loop

I've done the alone at a con thng too...can get kind of boring. Don't know how many of my usual group will be there this year since most started college this fall, but unless she moves for work, I should have my sister there to harass. Trying to get her to do a Tenko costume...but I'd probably be the one who'd have to make it all. >.<

It's going okay, but slowly since I only have time to work on it when I'm not in class, not working, have no homework, and am not working on college applications. Right now I'm focusing more on the apps. than anything, so that newer pic I posted is pretty much what's done right now. ^.^;

That sounds like fun, having most of the group.I don't think I've ever seen a full group of the 12 at one time, but I suppose that's a big group to coordinate.
Unread 10-27-2006, 11:44 AM   #5
aka_spooky
total noob here ; )

It's Da Coolest

Last year was my first year at AD and I had no idea what to expect. I actually went with my parents (I'm 23 so it's not a chaperone thing) who are big anime fans too. (my dads been bringing home anime since I was a tot Project A-ko was my favorite as a kid).

we were surprised at how young the crowd was. Like tons of jr high kids and young high school kids. fair amount of college age though. very few "adults". I am guessing that this is pretty normal for anime conventions considering the target audience of so much of anime. But hey that just means there's a lot of energy and excitement in the air. I'd rather that then a bunch of poops sittin around.

I loved the dealers room. they even had tasty mochi snacks (we bought tons and made ourselves sick on them). Like it's been said there was a decent variety of products. but yeah there was quite a bit of naruto stuff : )

Don't have a strong opinion about artist alley. must admit I didn't spend much time there.

The panels were generally very fun and had good energy. I especially enjoyed the amv viewings. Karaoke was lots of fun too and quite crowded most of the time. Masquerade was very hard to see (if you were like me and were way stuffed in the middle) and packed to the gills. crazy.

Consuite was very nice and generally had lots of friendly peeps to talk too. (the girl in the princess tutu outfit was the CUTEST).

I knew NOBODY but my parents and managed to find quite a few nice friendly people to talk to so I wasn't too lonely. This year I've talked a friend into coming with me so that'll be nice. The cosplayers ranged quite a bit as far as costume quality but everyone seemed to be having fun and some of them were Really Cool (in my inexperienced opinion).

Overall I thought it was an AWSOMELY FUN TIME. My parents agreed and we all pre-registered for this year at the con.

That's all I can think of to say. Hopefully it helps!

p.s. I was at Convergence too and went to some of the anime panels so maybe I've already met you. either way hopefully I'll see you there in one of your supa cool costumes. .... i love the howl coat.

Last edited by aka_spooky : 10-27-2006 at 11:47 AM.
aka_spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2006, 04:10 PM   #6
XanaTenshi
Looking for Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_spooky
The panels were generally very fun and had good energy. I especially enjoyed the amv viewings. Karaoke was lots of fun too and quite crowded most of the time. Masquerade was very hard to see (if you were like me and were way stuffed in the middle) and packed to the gills. crazy.

I knew NOBODY but my parents and managed to find quite a few nice friendly people to talk to so I wasn't too lonely. This year I've talked a friend into coming with me so that'll be nice. The cosplayers ranged quite a bit as far as costume quality but everyone seemed to be having fun and some of them were Really Cool (in my inexperienced opinion).

p.s. I was at Convergence too and went to some of the anime panels so maybe I've already met you. either way hopefully I'll see you there in one of your supa cool costumes. .... i love the howl coat.
Oh! If you were at the panels then I was the brunette with long, curly hair. I wore my yukata to one panel. Maybe we can meet up and won't be by ourselves!

Karaoke! Did they have Japanese songs? Like SMAP or Gackt? I am dying for Japanese karaoke since leaving Japan!
Unread 10-27-2006, 09:27 PM   #7
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

XanaTenshi - if you get a KKM costume done, be on the lookout for others. I'll likely wear Wolfram again, and GreenFire will wear Yuuri. Whether we have upgrades or spoilerific versions depends on whether we feel like doing any over the winter, but... Hooking up with folks based on them having costumes from the same series is a great way to meet the other super-into-cosplay people so you won't have to worry about being alone.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2006, 12:06 AM   #8
aka_spooky
total noob here ; )

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanaTenshi
Oh! If you were at the panels then I was the brunette with long, curly hair. I wore my yukata to one panel. Maybe we can meet up and won't be by ourselves!

Karaoke! Did they have Japanese songs? Like SMAP or Gackt? I am dying for Japanese karaoke since leaving Japan!
I think I actually do remember you. I was dressed as Kaylee (from Firefly) but wasn't particularly memorable in any other way so I wouldn't expect you to remember me from the mass of con goers. It would be supa cool to try to meet up. I wanna grill you about living in Japan. I, like most anime geeks, would LOVE to go but it's too SPENDY. It'd be extra cool too cause we both go to Convergence too...

Yeah people kinda sung whatever they wanted. It wasn't super HI-tech karaoke it was mainly a stereo hooked up to a computer and they'd look if they had the song and try to download it if they didn't then they'd print the words and give em to you and you'd sing along. I'm guessing that because of the immense popularity of Gackt and SMAP that they'd have some of that on the computer already.

It wasn't high tech but it was definitely fun. Especially after a couple drinks
Unread 11-10-2006, 11:31 AM   #9
hibekisensai
Habitual User

Anime Detour is one of my favorite Cons! The atmosphere at the Ramada was very warm and the con staff do an excellent job! I thought the security staff's shameless plug was a bit much last year, but all in all a most excellent Con! If you're a big gamer, the gaming rooms really weren't all that at all....the guests are usually very very good....and Anime Detour gets high marks from me cuz it was the first con i have ever seen that held a Kpop panel!!!

Being in my twenties, my fiance' and i last year felt kinda old, but it was all good cuz our primary reasons for attending conventions is more so about the industry guests, panels, and of course cosplayers...where many of the younger folk use the Con as a big social event amongst friends...
Unread 11-15-2006, 10:08 PM   #10
sylus
its a conspiricy

i've been to anime detour every year and it is definatly one of my favoret cons. i agree with alot of things people said. consuit is great (though 2 years ago, my room was right outside it and consuit smelt realy funky after awhile) but they actualy have real food. rice and other things. not jsut candy and junk like some cons i have gone too. not to mention you can realy get to know people while in there.
AD has a realy friendly atmosphere that i love, you dont come across many rude people.
artist ally is definatly worth looking at, there are some amasing artist in there, and they are some of the nicest people i have ever meet.
now here are my few gripes.
hallways - this isnt the cons fault, its just they way the building was built. but they are narrow and you have to keep moving. it only realy bugs me when i need to hunt down a friend and it takes me forever becosue of how crapmed they are, but yet again, not cons fault, its just the way the building is.
my other grip is the cosplay contest. i've participated in it twice now and both times it seems a little to hectic, and your saturday gets realy tyed up. but it has been improving. and the contests are fun to watch.

i dont know what else to say but i hope you enjoy detour.

(i was at convergence too, i didnt stay in the anime panles long but i was dressed up as reo (ff7) and river (firefly) )
sylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2006, 09:28 AM   #11
rainbow_dancer
cute :3 kawaii !!!

this is my first post here. ^_^ this is my first cosplay/AD. i've looked at the program thing. and theres a dance!!! i think that'll be cool. whats that like?? and the game room. is it like other conventions with the actual arcade games?? or just a TV with a counsil and controlers?? and whats the mascarade like???
rainbow_dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2006, 09:25 PM   #12
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

I always thought the dance was kinda lame, but I'm not a teenager for whom a series of random j-pop and anime theme songs is a great dance. I'd prefer a better DJ. But that's me.

The game rooms afaik are just consoles and tvs. They don't have room to bring in arcade cabinets.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2006, 12:01 PM   #13
Singe
Out of the Cosplay Loop

Yea, the dances have never been all that great, but maybe that's just because I'm more used to people you know..actually dancing and not generally standing around talking. Or at least that's what always seems to be going on when I'm in there. ^.^;
Unread 11-24-2006, 08:51 AM   #14
aka_spooky
total noob here ; )

yuppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singe
Yea, the dances have never been all that great, but maybe that's just because I'm more used to people you know..actually dancing and not generally standing around talking. Or at least that's what always seems to be going on when I'm in there. ^.^;

Yeah I poked my head into the dance for like 2 minutes and that's exactly what it was. People standing around talking.... but unlike the rest of the con when they were standing around talking in the halls ...they were standing around talking in a dark room with J-pop music. dark room + standing + music = dance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibekisensai
Being in my twenties, my fiance' and i last year felt kinda old, but it was all good cuz our primary reasons for attending conventions is more so about the industry guests, panels, and of course cosplayers...where many of the younger folk use the Con as a big social event amongst friends...
TOTALLY AGREE!! But this year I'm bringing a couple friends so that'll make it slightly more social groupy for us but still.... I think it's more about panels and cosplay and the anime viewing rooms.... I feel old at 23. My parents felt it even more accutely being 50+ but they LOVED the panels and anime viewing and mostly thought the young kids were cute.

Oh and of course I appreciate that I can drink and not have to worry about getting home.... squeeling 12 year olds are more palatable after a couple drinks...even amusing!
Unread 11-25-2006, 12:50 AM   #15
rainbow_dancer
cute :3 kawaii !!!

whats the best thing at AD ???

that sucks....that that totally brought me down. but i'm only 15. so maybe in some wierd way i might find it ammusing...probly better off watching some anime movies or whatever. what do you think its the best things to do at the con??? and....12 year olds drinking ?!? isn't that illegal?!? --is alittle scared-- lol.

Last edited by rainbow_dancer : 11-25-2006 at 12:54 AM. Reason: i re-read . and saw something "strangly odd"
rainbow_dancer is offline   Reply With Quote