Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Detour

Unread 10-31-2006, 04:04 PM   #1
Akahime
Red Princess

Need Opinions

I'm the President of the Hamline University Anime and Manga Club and we were interested in coming AD '07 (can even have the money to go), but I have one questions for people's opinion. Should we stay overnight or not? If we didn't, then wouldn't it be troublesome if we all had to leave and then come back the VERY next day. What would be much easier to work with? Since this is a group thing, I don't want everyone to leave and then comeback. It probably will be very tiring and all for the members and me. >.>

Next cons: Anime LA, Anime Detour, Fanime, Anime Expo
Cosplayer and photographer. Follow me at my DA, twitter, or my tumblr!

Last edited by Akahime : 10-31-2006 at 06:54 PM.
Akahime is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-31-2006, 11:57 PM   #2
aka_spooky
total noob here ; )

of course you should stay : )

I thought that a big part of the fun of my first Anime Detour (last years actually) was staying at the con. Why? Because you could stay up until you couldn't hold your eyes open watching anime and drink (if of age of course) without fear of driving and get up whenever you want and just stroll down the hall to fun!

I was there with a few other people and we all had wildly different schedules so it was nice that we could all do things when we wanted (5:00 am wake up and watch anime for some, 2:00 am stay up and watch anime for others).

Basically it let everyone do exactly what they wanted at the con without worrying about scheduling rides or whatever.

If you have the money I'd say it's a good time to stay at the con. If you don't you'll certainly have fun even if you don't stay at the hotel.

Thats my two cents. (or twelve cents....whatever).

aka_spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2006, 10:40 AM   #3
Akahime
Red Princess

XD Okay then, now I have to see if how many rooms we will need XD LOL And I also have to figure out the costs. >.>

Thank you very much. XD

Unread 11-01-2006, 09:37 PM   #4
Singe
Out of the Cosplay Loop

Having attempted to organize some group con trips in the past, I have to say that staying overnight is pretty much a must. As it was mentioned, everyone will have different places, events, panels, etc. that they'll want to go to, so it's very difficult to work out a departure/arrival time that will make everyone happy.

Also, having a room or two (or like...4+ which we always seemed to have) is a good way to get some space away from the crowds, allow for putting on cosplay outfits and doing touchups without taking over the public bathrooms, napping.

Also, bathing regularily makes everyone happy....just gonna throw that one out there.

^.^
Singe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2006, 07:46 AM   #5
Akahime
Red Princess

Yeah, I rather just stay over there for many reasons including yours. My big sister was making a real fuss about that, but I was like, it'll be easier on us. She's not even going. V_V I'll talk to my members about that. XD

Unread 11-02-2006, 08:06 AM   #6
Akahime
Red Princess

I'm back again and have another question... um... wait, what was it... oh yeah. You know the rooms? How many beds are there in the 'single room' that could fit up to four people? >.>

Unread 11-02-2006, 01:14 PM   #7
Gothic_Catboy
Bring down ze Kitty Bomb

Usually there are 2 queen-sized beds in a normal room that can sleep 4 comfortably... and 10 partially-comfortably. It just depends on how many you want to cram in your room... though you'll have to say that only 2-4 will be staying in your room those nights.
Unread 11-04-2006, 05:58 PM   #8
Serria
tea-drinker

If you live nearby, getting a hotel room isn't really that necessary, I think personally. Yes, it's always BETTER to have one, but you do save a lot of money if you don't bother. Though the only thing you have to worry about then is parking, dragging stuff inside the hotel and back out again, etc.

But my first Anime Detour I didn't get a room, and still had a great time.

Also, if you're thinking about only going one day, make it Saturday!!
Serria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2006, 09:13 AM   #9
Akahime
Red Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serria
If you live nearby, getting a hotel room isn't really that necessary, I think personally. Yes, it's always BETTER to have one, but you do save a lot of money if you don't bother. Though the only thing you have to worry about then is parking, dragging stuff inside the hotel and back out again, etc.

But my first Anime Detour I didn't get a room, and still had a great time.

Also, if you're thinking about only going one day, make it Saturday!!
LOL I want to go all three days because I want to be there all three days. If were to only go for one day, I'll make sure it's a Saturday. Just for you. XD

Unread 11-10-2006, 11:52 AM   #10
hibekisensai
Habitual User

last year i stayed at the marriott, the overflow hotel (walking distance to the con)...the ramada was booked...since the con is in winter, i highly recommend booking early and staying at the ramada! As others have mentioned, staying at the con hotel isn't life or death, but i think it can enhance the overall con experience...especially at anime detour- this is one con definitely planned and set up for overnight stay...it is a very very personable atmosphere in the hotel!