Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-01-2006, 04:49 PM   #1
Bahzi
Hi gaiz!

Haku and Chihiro of Spirited Away, please help!

For Ohayocon this coming year, my boyfriend's niece has decided she'd like to be Chihiro form Spirited Away, and since I'd already be making her that costume, I decided I'd also like to make myself a Haku costume so we'd match. ^^

However, I'm having problems with the shirts. From what I can tell Chihiro's bathhouse shirt and Haku's shirt are the same save for a flap in the front of Haku's shirt. My question is this though, are there any commerical patterns available that could be modified for these shirts, or am I going to have to make my own pattern (which I'm really not good at).

I found a folkwear pattern for the pants, but if anyone has any information on how to make the tops, I'd be very appreciative! ^^
Bahzi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-01-2006, 11:31 PM   #2
Gwydion
Cardboard is Love

Haha, just suggested this on the Ohayocon forums. ^_^;; Guess I'll put it here too.

I once wrote up a brief tutorial for a shirt very similiar to theirs (Sai from Hikaru no Go) - the sleeves are smaller and it's shorter, but it's the same idea. I tried to adjust it for Haku's shirt instead of Sai's. Don't know if it will help, but I hope so.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...saicosplay.jpg

I don't have the measurements I used as my sis has the costume, but I can give you an idea (remember to add room for hemming!):

BACK - The width should be about width of your chest area. The length should be from the top of your shoulders to the your thighs. The cut out for the neck should probably be about 7-8 inches, I'd say (adjust as necessary).

FRONT: OVER - The width is a bit trickier on this one. I added the mini model for this reason, so let me know if you still need an explanation. It should be at full width a little below the waist (as it poofs out a bit) to the bottom.

FRONT: UNDER - The width should be the back's width minus the number of inches of one of the shoulder "straps" (the pieces of material on either side of the cut out for the neck). The length should be from your shoulders to a little below your waist.

COLLAR - You see the red dotted line on the front and back pieces? Add up the length of that and that is the length of your collar. As for width, I'd say about 2 inches as you want enough to be able to fold it over on the dotted line and run a cord through it.

What are the dash marks on the back and sleeves for? That is how the sleeves are attached to the main portion. I'd say give about 5-6 inches for that and put them around your shoulder blades. And as for the clasp mechanism around the neck, eh, well, I'm not sure if I could explain it really well... I may have to tackle that later. Just know it consists of one knobby end (on the FRONT:OVER piece) and a cord that twists and hooks on to it (from the middle of the BACK).

There may be an actual pattern for this out there somewhere - I just winged it myself - and if so go with that (obviously), but if not, I found this works pretty well.
Prince Alexander, King's Quest VI - 75% done

Last edited by Gwydion : 11-01-2006 at 11:50 PM.
Gwydion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2006, 11:43 PM   #3
Bahzi
Hi gaiz!

Wow, I wasn't expecting a full on tutorial, but thanks so much! You rock! This should be enough to get me going, and I'll let you know if I need any further explanation, but this looks great! Thanks again!
Unread 11-01-2006, 11:47 PM   #4
Gwydion
Cardboard is Love

Well, it was already written up, lol. Hope it helps, and good luck! Can't wait to see you and your bf's niece. ^_^
Prince Alexander, King's Quest VI - 75% done
Gwydion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2007, 12:13 AM   #5
distantarray

to get rid of the bagginess use preparation H, will smith uses it on a regular basis, and it really works. for the color it's pretty much genetic. they have special concelers out there, jus call a special effects make up company like joe blasco if they can't help you, no one can.

http://www.joeblasco.com/
It is strange to think, I haven't seen you since a month. I have seen the new moon, but not you. I have seen sunsets and sunrises, but nothing of your beautiful face. The pieces of my broken heart are so small that they could be passed through the eye of a needle. I miss you like the sun misses the flower; like the sun misses the flower in the depths of winter. Instead of beauty to direct its light to, the heart hardens like the frozen world your absence has banished me to.
distantarray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2007, 12:22 AM   #6
Bahzi
Hi gaiz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by distantarray View Post
to get rid of the bagginess use preparation H, will smith uses it on a regular basis, and it really works. for the color it's pretty much genetic. they have special concelers out there, jus call a special effects make up company like joe blasco if they can't help you, no one can.

http://www.joeblasco.com/
What the heck are you talking about? O_o
Unread 04-09-2007, 06:28 AM   #7
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

I lol'd!
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
KantaKoji

Gwydion, the link for the tutorial no longer works- if possible could you repost it? I am looking to make a Chihiro cosplay and am hoping it would help some Thanks!
KantaKoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 11:21 PM   #9
PuyoDa
killer of tofu

KantaKoji - These might be helpful too :3
http://merry-xmas.deviantart.com/art...art-1-42755253
http://merry-xmas.deviantart.com/art...art-2-42755330

I've made Haku's and have a lot of progress photos if that helps any, since their outfits are similar:
http://cosplay.silent-white.com/cate...ted-away/haku/
PuyoDa is offline   Reply With Quote