Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Music Chat

Unread 03-24-2003, 11:36 AM   #1
DarkFlame
I'm SUPER!!!

Question J-Rock

J-Rock is basically rock music... so, what's so special about it being Japanese?
DarkFlame is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-24-2003, 01:15 PM   #2
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

...Eh? What do you mean? J-rock just stands for Japanese rock. That's all it is. What's so special? A lot of them are visual bands and make the genre stand apart from the American version of rock. @_@; But your question was VERY vague so I don't know if that was the answer you wanted. o.o;

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: J-Pop Summit Festival in San Francisco, CA (July 19-20)
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2003, 01:57 PM   #3
DarkFlame
I'm SUPER!!!

so J-rockers tend to be very OTT with their appearance
Unread 03-24-2003, 02:22 PM   #4
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Only visual rockers are, like Malice Mizer or Dir en grey or Psycho le Cemu. They're reminiscient of the 80s hairbands, only mixed in with anime-ish themes sometimes. ^_^ Not all J-rock bands have such extreme looks, like Glay for example, who are usually in pretty normal clothes for their videos and etc.

I attached an image of Dir en grey in one of their "images" to give an example.. This isn't as over the top as some of the looks can be. ^_^

The visual aspect is only part of the attraction, though, and adds to their music and feel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mitsu_to_tsuba.jpg (139.5 KB, 11 views)

Unread 03-24-2003, 02:44 PM   #5
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Er. ^^; Not many Jrock bands are as dark looking as Marilyn Manson. Look at Psycho le Cemu's really bright and happy images. o_o

I heard Malice Mizer's music before seeing what they looked like.. and loved them already.

Unread 03-24-2003, 08:44 PM   #6
sacha
astro earthling

Ok, I'm not saying they're aren't some visual bands that are all look and no substance, but you might want to actually listen to some of the music, or look up some translations. I listen to a really wide variety of music, some of it is just bubbly cute fluff and some of it is deep and meaningful, it just depends on what you listen to.

I mean, look at X Japan, they're considered the band that started visual kei. I wouldn't call them all look and no substance o_o
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2003, 02:00 PM   #7
bANgZ
instrument of your death!

i guess it all depends on what your taste on music is.

everyone appreciates music differently. the reason why i listen to japanese music is because first of all there are sooo many great musical composers in japan. for example yoshiki from x japan, he can write music ranging from a single piano instrumental to rock (meaning guitar drum n bass) to full orchestrated symphonies, and all are very complicated yet beautiful composures. they usually start off very visual so people can notice them and differentiate them from so many other bands trying to get a label. but dont get me wrong, i am all for bands using image to gain popularity. along with music, image is just one aspect of their overall artistic presence.

listening to music in just english closes you off from so much beautiful music the world can offer. if you're a fan of anime, its so unfortunate to see when fans stop right there, just anime. there's just so much other cool things aside from japan culture from that, and japanese rock is one of them.
Unread 03-25-2003, 02:05 PM   #8
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Flexei, J-rock is incredibly varied. From the more American rock sounding bands to the visual Gothic bands to the screaming metalish bands... You can't have judged them all by listening to "some of it". ~_~ I'm sorry you don't like your music in any other language, because some pieces, even if you don't understand the words, can be beautiful.

Unread 03-25-2003, 04:13 PM   #9
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Glay isn't a visual band, though. They're just a rock/pop band. @_x; They never dress up in lavish outfits like, say, Malice Mizer. But okay.

Music that isn't English in languages you don't know is sorta like listening to instrumental pieces, but the voice is another instrument.. which is true about all music, really, but you can't understand it so it's even more so. ^_^; But I understand enough Japanese that I like the lyrics sometimes too...

Bah I'm not really making any points. ^_^; I'm just rambling now..

Unread 03-25-2003, 06:11 PM   #10
Ichiban Crush
Drunken Pirate God

I've always had the theory that there's a J-rock band for everyone. For those of you that just can't get into the foriegn lyrics and/or costumes that look like it's designer modeled them after a peacock wearing a French whore's entire make-up collection, I highly recommend Oblivion Dust or FAKE?. OD's long broken up, but the lead singer went on to form FAKE? with a few other well known J-Rockers. Both bands sing almost all of their songs in English, both bands are NOT image obsessed, and both bands could easily be mistaken for American bands by sound alone.
Ichiban Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2003, 01:46 AM   #11
bANgZ

i have friends from japan that go to the same college as i do and a lot of them listen to luna sea, mr children, and before a lot of x-japan. so its not necessarily for little girls. i think bands like malice mizer and dir en grey (the very visual bands) usually tend towards the young crowd yes. it seems that a lot of people think of jrock and immediately they think of extreme visual kei.

whats my point now hm,,
i believe that if you love rock music then you should look around and you may find a japanese rock band that will interest you
bANgZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2003, 01:52 PM   #12
DarkFlame
I'm SUPER!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by bANgZ
i have friends from japan that go to the same college as i do and a lot of them listen to luna sea, mr children, and before a lot of x-japan. so its not necessarily for little girls. i think bands like malice mizer and dir en grey (the very visual bands) usually tend towards the young crowd yes. it seems that a lot of people think of jrock and immediately they think of extreme visual kei.

whats my point now hm,,
i believe that if you love rock music then you should look around and you may find a japanese rock band that will interest you
I like the Mad Capsule Markets. Schnazzy
Unread 03-27-2003, 02:39 AM   #13
bANgZ

MCM yea i used to listen to them too , last i heard they were touring the U.S. *shrug* if you like punk rock thats a band to check out
bANgZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2003, 05:39 PM   #14
KANEDA
Civilization Virus

Quote:
Originally posted by bANgZ
MCM yea i used to listen to them too , last i heard they were touring the U.S. *shrug* if you like punk rock thats a band to check out
it's funny... ever since Alec Empire remixed them..
Now they -- all of the sudden -- are trying to sound like that on all of their tracks.

Guitar Wolf is waaaay better.