Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > MegaCon

Unread 11-03-2006, 12:57 PM   #1
Kaido Kaoru
Andromeda Co-Founder

Is Mega-Con worth going?

Mello Everyone!

I'm Krisitn and I'm from Canada...I've NEVER attended a con outside of ONTARIO[damn I'm so lame]....

I was interested in going to a con in the states...and I gotta ask "Is Mega-con worth going to?"

Now, My fave things at a con are:
1) Masqurade
2) J-Pop Dance
3) Busy-ness
4) Great Artist Alley

Also, I cannot drive....is there easy access to the con if you cannot drive?

Can anyone tell me if Mega-Con has these and if they are any good?

Thanks in advance! ^_^

~*~kaido~*~
Sunday: Akito/Agito [Air Gear]

Awaiting cosplay!!:
KAT-TUN's Ueda [Gold Ballad version Live]
Must love the hat+coat!!!]

Complete and Cosplayed!!!:
Eiji Kaiba Raito
Chouji Kaidoh Ishida[level 3]

Last edited by Kaido Kaoru : 11-03-2006 at 01:00 PM.
Kaido Kaoru is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-03-2006, 02:19 PM   #2
Dashren Nolan

Yikes, MegaCon doesn't really have very good focus on any of those four things since it's a dual-con, both anime and sci-fi/fantasy.

If you're looking for a caon in Florida, MetroCon has all of the things you described, but the next Metro isn't for a while.
Dashren Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2006, 09:38 PM   #3
tsuoi_kaze
PERSONA! *bang*

I couldn't agree more with dashren. megacon is fun, but it's a scifi/fantasy and anime con, so there isn't really any of what your looking for.

But if you're set on going to a con in FL, next metrocon would be a good con for you based on what you described. But it's not untill july, so you have a while.
tsuoi_kaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2006, 12:23 PM   #4
Tia

Actually, Megacon does have a good artist's alley. It's just hard to know exactly where it is, because it's part of the dealer's room. There are also places that are halfway in-between dealer's room and artist's alley, such as associte press, which contain people who make their own items but don't do "traditional" art.

It is a very large convention, but it is also multi-genre. I really don't think any of the conventions in florida would be worth making the trip from Ontario. If I were you I'd consider hitting Otakon, which is sometime in early August, I believe. It's a con almost as large as Megacon, but it's purely an anime con. Since it's in Baltimore, MD, it'd also be closer to you.
Unread 11-04-2006, 03:15 PM   #5
SecretGeisha
bets he showers naked!

every con is worth experiencing atleast once. megacon has the biggest dealers room ive ever seen. they have a very good artist alley, they have a dance on saturday night, and usually have jrock/jpop performances. the last two years ive been they did.

and as for busy-ness, ive never seen a con that busy besides metrocon. megacon is crawling with people all the time. theres usually always somethinig going on. the somethings going on might not be your thing, and usually they wont be, but still.

it is a shared convention between anime/comics/etc. and remember, if you do come down for megacon, end up not liking it, disney/sea world/universal studios is right around the corner.
+ + +
the list: tinkerbell; kh2 riku; orig.halloweentown riku; count d; sumomo; inuyasha; human inuyasha; riku pjs; chrno; romanhikou aya
SecretGeisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2006, 08:38 PM   #6
kiarou

actually i was wondering the same thing, which should i go to?
mega-con(orlando) or metro-con(tampa)
im not so sure how the other geek cultures work in one con, but cosplay.com doesnt really have lot of metro-con. I would like some opionons too!
i mainly look for:
-good dealers room
-good cosplays
-FREE video game tourneys
-good sized game room

any help would be geat thanks ^0^
kiarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2006, 06:01 AM   #7
Lucifer

Basically, Megacon is a fantasy/scifi con with some anime related events.

The dealer room has -some- anime but is mostly scifi/comic/fantasy items. They have an artist alley but very few japanese oriented artists (anime/manga). Finding a hotel within walking distance is a bit difficult as most close hotels are expensive (though you can take the trolly to the convention center).

Since you are travelling so far, I'd say pass on Megacon. If you're bent on an anime convention in Florida, all of which offering what you want, you have more choices.

Jacon - May (hotel based on)
Metrocon - July (convention center)
Anime Festival Orlando - August (hotel based con)

As for what you want in a convention, I'd hate to say this but busy-ness shouldn't be that big a quality. I've been to fabulous cons that don't appear 'busy'. When you have a large space, it always appears less busy than it really is. Personally I'd go for a con that's not super cramped.

Anyway, all the above have lovely dealer rooms (good depends on what you want, or are looking for), masquerades (assuming you mean costume contest), and dances (though none seem to do j-pop dances, they do have balls/raves/etc style dances, usually with themes).

I don't bite. Ok, that's a lie. I totally bite.
Lucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2006, 01:03 PM   #8
Hime no Toki
NiGHTmaren
Modoka Magica

If you want a really good Florida con, I'd say go to JACON or MetroCon, personally. I've been to all the main Florida cons, Mega included, at least twice, and JACON and Metro never fail to please. They not only have the regular events, but tons of other activities. That makes those cons worth the money spent.

2014 - Upcoming Conventions :
Anime Weekend Atlanta (GA) - FandomCon (FL)

Upcoming costumes : Suzie Q from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Edea Lee (various versions) from Bravely Default, and more!

http://www.facebook.com/NiGHTmarenCosplay
Hime no Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2006, 07:07 PM   #9
CosplayerGabi
Shotgun Badass

If I were coming from Canada I would go to Otakon. I think it has what you are looking for.

If you are willing to wait till late August by far the best con to cut your teeth on would be Dragoncon. It is also a various genre con. You'll never be the same after going.

If you must come to FL though. Heed the advice of those above.
Unread 01-02-2007, 08:14 PM   #10
KaoruKamiya
May all your bacon burn

I've drove or flew from Ohio to Megacon every year, Its a good con to experiance once, since you really don't always know what is going to happen.
  4. Hinata
  5. Gothic Lolita
KaoruKamiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2007, 01:20 PM   #11
Aleera
Master Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiarou View Post
actually i was wondering the same thing, which should i go to?
mega-con(orlando) or metro-con(tampa)
im not so sure how the other geek cultures work in one con, but cosplay.com doesnt really have lot of metro-con. I would like some opionons too!
i mainly look for:
-good dealers room
-good cosplays
-FREE video game tourneys
-good sized game room

any help would be geat thanks ^0^
Free game room and tourneys, I played a few minutes of DOA4 on widescreen @ Metrocon last year. Metrocon would catter more to the gamer aspect, imho. Megacon is both sci-fi/anime orientated, so it does have things you might not see elsewhere like stormtroopers. But Metrocon has more anime/video game focus and is a bigger convention with more cosplays, if that is what you value. Megacon also has lulls on Sundays, every year, just so you know.
Unread 01-04-2007, 09:08 PM   #12
kiarou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleera View Post
Free game room and tourneys, I played a few minutes of DOA4 on widescreen @ Metrocon last year. Metrocon would catter more to the gamer aspect, imho. Megacon is both sci-fi/anime orientated, so it does have things you might not see elsewhere like stormtroopers. But Metrocon has more anime/video game focus and is a bigger convention with more cosplays, if that is what you value. Megacon also has lulls on Sundays, every year, just so you know.
ah, i think i'll probly go to metro-con, idk
Offtopic: why doesnt cosplay.com have a section for metro-con
kiarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2007, 09:47 PM   #13
Solo
Mou

Actually Megacon only recently became its own section. I think Cosplay.com is trying to be careful in how many cons they give their own thread since they're so many of them. Florida has about 15 (?) anime cons and have less on discussion on cosplay.com when compared with other cons. If more people start using the Florida con threads (ie Metro, Jacon, AFO, ect) on cosplay.com then maybe they will give these cons their own section.

If you're looking for postings about Florida cons try the "Others" section, they usually have them there. It's also possible that since Metrocon is several months away someone hasn't started one yet, just be sure to check before posting your own.

Last edited by Solo : 01-04-2007 at 09:54 PM.
Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2007, 05:55 AM   #14
Lucifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiarou View Post
ah, i think i'll probly go to metro-con, idk
Offtopic: why doesnt cosplay.com have a section for metro-con
Just going to point this out that Aleera said, but Metrocon is not 'larger' than Megacon.

Megacon has roughly 25,000 attendees. Metrocon has 3000-4000. Your best bet is to look at the websites for all cons in Florida, and deside from there what you may want. Also, most have forum boards simular to cosplay.com, where you can find extra information there.

I don't bite. Ok, that's a lie. I totally bite.
Lucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2007, 02:41 PM   #15
Taisa_Azudragon
Roleplaying Geek

Metrocon is the largest Anime Con in FL though :P

But yea, Megacon is large but more orientated towards sci-fi/fantasy then Anime.
Taisa_Azudragon is offline   Reply With Quote