Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-03-2006, 03:40 PM   #1
Meiki

A Quick Lolita Handbook

I noticed that a lot of people are just starting into the lolita fashion so I thought I'd make up a little tutorial of sorts as to what is lolita and what is not.

I'm not an elitist, this is nothing personal or directed to anyone in particular. I just want the information to be out there and directly stated on this forum.

What to Wear:
-KNEE LENGTH skirts or dresses.
(Ero-lolis exist, but I wouldn't suggest trying it if you're new. This is a very hard style to get right. So a little below or above the knee is your best bet.)

-Tights or knee socks.
(Prints are acceptable, as long as they go with the outfit.)

-BLOUSE or Cutsew
(Wear a blouse. Unless your dress is a one-piece, meaning it has sleeves. Even then, it's a good idea to wear a blouse. Lolita focuses quite a bit on modesty. This means no cleavage. Cutsews are basically the lolita equivalent to a tee-shirt, it's made of knit material and is typically a little more casual.)

-Girly shoes
(Mary janes, tea party shoes, etc.)

-Hair accessories
(Alice bows, which are large hair bows, pairs of smaller hairbows, headbands, floral pieces, round headdresses, bonnets, etc. Wear mini hats and rectangle headdresses with caution, they're considered pretty old school and there's a lot of crappy ones out there. Wearing something on your head is pretty much standard, it balances things out.)

-PETTICOAT
(Wearing a petticoat is pretty much mandatory in lolita fashion. Classic lolitas will want something a little more a-line and most other styles will want something more cupcake-shaped.)

-Stuff to carry
(Most lolis don't carry much except for their purse, so make sure it matches your outfit well. Parasols are good, but avoid the ones that are entirely lace, they tend to look cheap.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Dont's:
-Fishnets
-Lacy gloves are looked down upon
-Very strange color combinations, no neon colors
-Cheap lace (a good tutorial about what is and isn't is here: http://community.livejournal.com/egl/4214467.html)
-Armwarmers/Legwarmers.
-Too MUCH lace
-A flat skirt, or one that's too short.
-Cheap fabrics, especially satin.
-CAT EARS. Please no cat ears. Lolita is not a costume, it is clothing.
-Aprons are rarely worn, as it makes us look like maids :C

Makeup:
-No white face or black lipstick.
-You want to look natural, glossy lips, light eyeshadow and a little blush is fine.

Hair:
-Natural hair is fine as well as nice quality wigs.
-There's a pretty big range of hair styles you can wear. Curls are pretty common, cute bobs, hime-style hair, pigtails, braids, etc.
-Bangs or no bangs, both look fine with loli.
-Crazy hair colors are fine but avoid things like cyber dreads, yarn, etc. and make sure it doesn't clash with your outfit!

Recomended reading:
-Anything in the EGL LJ community memories: http://www.livejournal.com/tools/memories.bml?user=egl
-This is an excellent resource as well: http://lolita-handbook.livejournal.com/
Lolita Fashion .org

I think that's about it. Things change over time and a lot of these are just guidelines. The most important things to keep in mind are the quality of the things you're wearing (that includes wigs!), the general silhouette, and modesty.

Last edited by Meiki : 01-07-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Meiki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-06-2006, 07:16 PM   #2
Nina Star 9
Amano Tsukiko Addict

i'm glad that someone finally posted something like this. i was debating doing so for a while now but have not found the time.

this is a great guide for beginners, but i would just like to point out (not to you, of course, as you probably have realized this, and it is debatable, but to any new person) that these rules are not perfectly strict if you know what you are doing and have studied the fashion quite a bit. but it is a beginner's guide, so it is good how it is.

the only thing i see that you should change is to put in diffrences between gosurori and amarori instead of calling it all "EGL" (which typically refers to mana's brand and his style of clothing), as not all lolita is "EGL", which can be mistake for many new to the fashion.

but otherwise, great.
Nina Star 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2006, 12:11 AM   #3
Meiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina Star 9
the only thing i see that you should change is to put in diffrences between gosurori and amarori instead of calling it all "EGL" (which typically refers to mana's brand and his style of clothing), as not all lolita is "EGL", which can be mistake for many new to the fashion.
I mean, yes it's a term coined by Mana, but it's really a broad term. Besides, regardless of the style the general rules are still the same. I was considering doing another post that separated the different kinds, but the LJ lolita handbook is really a better resource. Thanks for the praise, I was really afraid I would get called elitist.
Unread 11-07-2006, 12:18 AM   #4
Nina Star 9
Amano Tsukiko Addict

yes, but not all lolita is elegant or gothic, so you need to put it in the general term of "lolita" if you wish to do something encompassing all of it.
Nina Star 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2006, 12:30 AM   #5
Meiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nina Star 9
yes, but not all lolita is elegant or gothic, so you need to put it in the general term of "lolita" if you wish to do something encompassing all of it.
I suppose. But one could argue that the name Lolita doesn't make any sense either. Either way, I will change it because it would make more sense to those who are new to the fashion.
Unread 11-07-2006, 02:51 AM   #6
natsukoarts
wanker? yes, please...

i think this would be interesting to also do the EGA, male point of view - i will take a crack at it, per what you have listed above, and feel free to copy-paste all the text...

it's only fair to have input from both male & female EGA/EGL perspectives, and then you can elect to include...

what do you think... (and it would provide a guide for men, since there does not seem to be a whole lot in english for the EGA set)
aUSA sanzo. trowa. jessie (poke-crack). ghetto-suzu. yuki.
natsukoarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2006, 06:34 AM   #7
angellsnz

Thank you so much for this. I have been looking at trying this fashion style, although I am a bit long in the tooth. ^_^; So I am reluctant to try...but I think it is a fascinating style, and I would like to try it for my own personal reasons. Would I be laughed at or looked down upon in trying it?? Or should it be only done by really young people?? I would not be splashing my photo round the internet although if I tried I would put a photo in my gallery.
Unread 11-07-2006, 10:58 AM   #8
Meiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by natsukoarts
i think this would be interesting to also do the EGA, male point of view - i will take a crack at it, per what you have listed above, and feel free to copy-paste all the text...

it's only fair to have input from both male & female EGA/EGL perspectives, and then you can elect to include...

what do you think... (and it would provide a guide for men, since there does not seem to be a whole lot in english for the EGA set)
I think that would be really awesome! I occasionally dress in kodona, but it's not exactly my area of expertise, so I didn't want to try to explain things and mess it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angellsnz
Thank you so much for this. I have been looking at trying this fashion style, although I am a bit long in the tooth. ^_^; So I am reluctant to try...but I think it is a fascinating style, and I would like to try it for my own personal reasons. Would I be laughed at or looked down upon in trying it?? Or should it be only done by really young people?? I would not be splashing my photo round the internet although if I tried I would put a photo in my gallery.
I'd say do your research, look at scans from the G&L Bibles, check out the EGL livejournal community. It's really the best place on the net to see people's opinions of what should and should not be worn. As far as age goes, there isn't really a problem with that, but if you feel uncomfortable there's always more aristocratic styles, sort of a more mature lolita like this: http://community.livejournal.com/egl/2962680.html
Unread 11-25-2006, 12:44 PM   #9
Hyper_Phantom

This was very helpful, thank you. I've been interested in the Lolita fashion for a while, and pondered if I should really get into it, but it doesn't seem to have enough creative/original freedom since so many things are looked down upon. Or am I wrong? o_o;;
Unread 11-26-2006, 03:57 PM   #10
Meiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper_Phantom
This was very helpful, thank you. I've been interested in the Lolita fashion for a while, and pondered if I should really get into it, but it doesn't seem to have enough creative/original freedom since so many things are looked down upon. Or am I wrong? o_o;;
I would love to say that you can have complete freedom inside the fashion. But really, the guidelines are pretty strict. If any major part isn't really your cup of tea (haha loli pun...) i.e.: skirt length, color schemes, modesty, you're not going to find much friendliness in the fashion.

Certain liberties can be taken, themed lolita and the like, but I'd do a ton of research, and post about it on the EGL livejournal community before doing anything. They'll be the toughest critics you can find, and if they see something crazy wrong with it, they'll tell you.

I don't want to discourage anyone from trying it, as it is a really interesting fashion to be involved in. But it's also pretty strict.
Unread 11-26-2006, 09:03 PM   #11
Hikaruhime
I'm jusaiyan

I am working on a themed EGL project right now: EGL Malik from Yuugiou. His normal clothes are black, lavender, and gold. The dress is black with a much smaller amount of lavender and gold lace and ribbon. In order to add more lavender and gold to the outfit, I wanted to make the petticoat either lavender or gold. Would that be too weird though? I'm not really sure, and I don't want it to look poseur-ish...
Tokyo in Tulsa // Tulsa, OK

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS:
Isis from SMITE
Capitol Citizen from Hunger Games

Mythos Creations Cosplay Group
Hikaruhime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2006, 03:06 PM   #12
CienDragon

I don't think a colored petticoat in lavender or gold would look very good(not to mention, you usually don't don't really see the petticoat since it is an undergarmet). I think the best way to work in more gold and lavender would be to add a cute headpiece in either or both of those colors.
Unread 11-28-2006, 06:35 PM   #13
Hikaruhime
I'm jusaiyan

Okay, I'll keep that in mind. Thank you. ^^
Tokyo in Tulsa // Tulsa, OK

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS:
Isis from SMITE
Capitol Citizen from Hunger Games

Mythos Creations Cosplay Group
Hikaruhime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2006, 07:10 PM   #14
lady_artemis
Awesome and PINK!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaruhime
I am working on a themed EGL project right now: EGL Malik from Yuugiou. His normal clothes are black, lavender, and gold. The dress is black with a much smaller amount of lavender and gold lace and ribbon. In order to add more lavender and gold to the outfit, I wanted to make the petticoat either lavender or gold. Would that be too weird though? I'm not really sure, and I don't want it to look poseur-ish...
Personally, I think that colored petticoats are quite cute. If I were making it, I would probably go with lavender unless you find a really pretty gold tulle/netting. Though if the dress was really gothic then I'd go with a black petticoat or something darker since a lavender petticoat would be more in the sweet lolita category. Or you could make a petty coat with a layer of lavender/gold tulle/netting and then the rest of it be black... Just a suggestion. *shrugs*
lady_artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2006, 08:34 PM   #15
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Listen, if you're gonna indulge in a petticoat, you might as well make it match. It's the equivalent of having a gorgeous lining on your winter coat or wearing fancy underpants-- maybe nobody but you knows it's there, but it sure does make you feel good.

Of course tulle is translucent so if you mix tulle colors it's sort of like blending shades-- i.e. green plus purple is not advised-- so I think it'd be better to stick to one color at a time. If you only use one or two layers of a light color over a dark color, as well, it's likely the lighter shade won't show up very much. One color would be nicer, I think.

This may not be very "lolita" but themed lolitas get sneered at, too, so I say add a colored petticoat and be fabulous. You do tend to get a peek at the petticoat when you sit down, things like that, and to me it's always delightful to have that little flash of unexpected color. Then again, black petticoats are readily available pre-made, so that might be easier for you.

--Penny
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote