Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-17-2007, 05:58 PM   #166
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

I think with some outfits tights just look nicer-- not to mention that if you have thick legs at all, whether because you're muscular or just overweight-- knee socks that don't give you sausage legs can be hard to find and are generally unflattering.

--Penny
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2007, 06:30 PM   #167
Ringo_Tan
It Came From Outer Space!

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
I think with some outfits tights just look nicer-- not to mention that if you have thick legs at all, whether because you're muscular or just overweight-- knee socks that don't give you sausage legs can be hard to find and are generally unflattering.

--Penny
I hate knee socks. They look bad on me as well D=. And they don't stay up (even with duct tape..).

Also, tights are much more comfortable. Its strange how tights where concidered non-loli, when there is a handful of them in the bibles and such.

I thought that they where "bad", since I've seen pictures of girls with tights on and people criticize and make fun of them. And, that makes 2 choices to make, wear knee highs, be freezing cold and uncomfortable all day, or wear tights, feel happy, and be criticized heavily.

Tights out of the way, I've looked on all hair articles. I have 2 problems.

Most girls with no bangs, have generally, really short hair, and put their hair in little pig tails. On me, I look like a mutant

I see that most lolitas have either shortish. medium hair, and bangs. I have hair to my waist, really frizzy, and no bangs.

What hairstyle could I POSSIBLY do? D=
Unread 12-17-2007, 09:41 PM   #168
LGS

Curls! Put your hair wet into some curlers the night before, and take them out in the morning so you have nice, cascading curls. Hold your hair off your face with an alice bow headband and you're set ^_^
Unread 12-17-2007, 10:32 PM   #169
YukiPhnx
You sir, deserve a win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo_Tan View Post
I hate knee socks. They look bad on me as well D=. And they don't stay up (even with duct tape..).

Also, tights are much more comfortable. Its strange how tights where concidered non-loli, when there is a handful of them in the bibles and such.

I thought that they where "bad", since I've seen pictures of girls with tights on and people criticize and make fun of them. And, that makes 2 choices to make, wear knee highs, be freezing cold and uncomfortable all day, or wear tights, feel happy, and be criticized heavily.

Tights out of the way, I've looked on all hair articles. I have 2 problems.

Most girls with no bangs, have generally, really short hair, and put their hair in little pig tails. On me, I look like a mutant

I see that most lolitas have either shortish. medium hair, and bangs. I have hair to my waist, really frizzy, and no bangs.

What hairstyle could I POSSIBLY do? D=
i think long frizzy hair is charming for lolita. like LGS said, curls would be really good. or maybe high pigtails. no bangs, no problem. headdresses like small hats work really well with that look
YukiPhnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 12:02 AM   #170
souzousei_kaish

@Meiki: That's what I had thought of doing. Anyone know a good style shirt that's easy to make to go with it? My internet acts up, either that or Google is down for some odd reason.

@Everyone: I have a curly, long, blond wig. Is that ok? I'd think so, but I'm not sure if there are any elitists in here....
Unread 12-18-2007, 12:44 AM   #171
Kawaii Pocky
I a shower, not a grower!

I've been wanting to get into lolita fashion, but it just confuses the crap out of me. I'm a girly girl and I love skirts and frilly things. It's just from all the different things I've read about lolita there seems to be a lot of catagories of it. I mean, I just got into it, I really haven't tried wearing it. I'd like to, but I'm going to wait until it's summer here where I live cause I'd rather not freeze during the winter. From all the different types of lolita I've read and seen, I liked all of them. It's just I don't know what to start with. I'm going to a con next year and I wanted my friends to make me a "goth" lolita dress. Just because I liked how the goth style went with lolita from what I've seen, I can't really say if it was really lolita or if rather it just claimed to be. I would like advice on what I should start out with, I did read the beginner's guidelines. I want to try it. But what if I'd also like to try another style of lolita as well? What would be good to start with? Any good input on this would be appreciated.
Kawaii Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 01:05 AM   #172
souzousei_kaish

Basic Loli would be best. You won't freeze if you wear the right stuff. There ARE winter Loli outfits you can buy or make, which I love. There should be a link somewhere in the forums to the LJ Lolita Handbook. I'd just search for it. That's the best on out there currently. Oh, but beware of Lolita Fucks and Elitists! The fucks, well, the word sums it up, and I've never met a nice elitist, though I'm sure there are a few out there. ^-^ Glad to see another newer Loli!
Unread 12-18-2007, 09:52 AM   #173
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Curling the hair takes a while, but it makes such a big difference. Just do something, please. My hair is wavy, to my shoulder blades, and very fine without bangs. I make sure I do something with it, whether it's curling, putting into pigtails, wearing a wig, whatever. Last time I was wearing casual loli I put my hair into a ponytail on the side of my head, swept some shorter pieces across my forehead and pinned them into place with some cute bobby pins, curled the ponytail and pinned it into a messy bun with some curls peeking out, then hairsprayed the whole thing. It looked nice and took about twenty minutes to finish with the curling iron.

There are just so, so many things you can do with your hair and so many of them are so easy, it just irks me when I see girls wearing beautiful outfits but all they've done is brush their hair out and leave it down. If you invested the money in a nice outfit, you might as well invest some time in making yourself look great in it!

--Penny
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 10:07 AM   #174
LCDextrose
nyu~

@Kawaii Pocky: if you're leaning towards the Gothic Lolita side, the best advice I could give is to avoid that cute look that is from the goth side (ie. Alot of the Hot Topic stuff, PVC and so on) because majority of the time their selection is overly shiney or too short and scratchy lace. Always keep in mind that simplicity the best since I've seen many beginners put so much detail in corset and ribbons and it really takes it away in the end.

There is no difficulty level differences between the different lolita styles, which ever one takes your fancy, go for it!
LCDextrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 10:52 AM   #175
Kawaii Pocky
I a shower, not a grower!

Yay! That's great. I didn't really know you could wear it during the winter. I'd love to...but I think people where I live would think I looked stupid if I wore dresses during the winter. >_> I designed my own goth style lolita dress and my friends are gonna make for me. When I went to youmacon this year I went to the Japanese Fashion discussion which was of course lolita. They said some thing about hot topic having itchy lace and not go there. lol It kinda made me laugh cause a costume I was wearing was from hot topic but I didn't say any thing, it was my secret cause I didn't know better till then. lol My hair curls so easily...I just suck at curling...so I like spiraling cause for some reason I can do that good. ^_^ Thanks. I think the con next year I'm gonna have my dress made and wear it for maid cafe if they have it again.
Planned Cosplays 2013:
C.C. - Code Geass (100%)
Akihiko Sanada - Persona 3 (100%)
Lolita - (100%)
Yukiko Alt Color - Persona 3/Persona 4 Arena (planned)
Catherine - Catherine (planned)
Sebastian - Black Butler (planned)
Shiro Lolita - (planned)
Kawaii Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-18-2007, 05:22 PM   #176
Ringo_Tan

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
Curling the hair takes a while, but it makes such a big difference. Just do something, please. My hair is wavy, to my shoulder blades, and very fine without bangs. I make sure I do something with it, whether it's curling, putting into pigtails, wearing a wig, whatever. Last time I was wearing casual loli I put my hair into a ponytail on the side of my head, swept some shorter pieces across my forehead and pinned them into place with some cute bobby pins, curled the ponytail and pinned it into a messy bun with some curls peeking out, then hairsprayed the whole thing. It looked nice and took about twenty minutes to finish with the curling iron.

There are just so, so many things you can do with your hair and so many of them are so easy, it just irks me when I see girls wearing beautiful outfits but all they've done is brush their hair out and leave it down. If you invested the money in a nice outfit, you might as well invest some time in making yourself look great in it!

--Penny
Its really hard for me to do curls D=. 1, the bug me, then I comb them out, and then POOF hair is 5 feet wide D=. I really hate putting my hair up, since it makes me head look small and my hair huge D=

When i straighten my hair, it looks much neater, and easier to contain (and harder to tangle), its probobly to plain for loli, right?

Pigtails would be the next best thing for me....only that...I look REALLY wide, and my head looks tiny again.

example- http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...st92007xx2.jpg

See? Giant monster poof D= Scary, amarite?

I really would prefer to keep my hair down, and straight, but all the loli's i've seen all have curled hair...and it really, really scares me.
Unread 12-18-2007, 10:31 PM   #177
StrawberryNinja
Happy Sunshine Evil

Quote:
Its really hard for me to do curls D=. 1, the bug me, then I comb them out, and then POOF hair is 5 feet wide D=. I really hate putting my hair up, since it makes me head look small and my hair huge D=

When i straighten my hair, it looks much neater, and easier to contain (and harder to tangle), its probobly to plain for loli, right?

Pigtails would be the next best thing for me....only that...I look REALLY wide, and my head looks tiny again.

example- http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j2...st92007xx2.jpg

See? Giant monster poof D= Scary, amarite?

I really would prefer to keep my hair down, and straight, but all the loli's i've seen all have curled hair...and it really, really scares me.
I think the poofiness of your hair is cute. If styled right, it could look really nice with lolita. I've seen pictures of loli with fluffy hair like that having it pulled up and back with one of those comb things and the rest hangs down in the back. Sometimes, a few strands hang down to frame their faces but it all looks really nice. If you wouldn't mind pulling it back like that then I think ya got it. Also, your hair in ponytails dun look that bad. Poofy hair ftw! *plays with own fluff*

Cosplays I'm Working On:
Bianchi - Katekyo Hitman Reborn (Naka-kon 2014 and ACen 2014)
Halloween 2011 Turkey - Hetalia (Naka-kon 2014)
Wooper gijinka and/or kigurumi- Pokemon (ACen 2014 maybe)
Bouffalant gijinka - Pokemon (ACen 2014 maybe)
Chocolove - Shaman King (ACen 2014 or Anime Midwest 2014 maybe)
StrawberryNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2007, 01:30 AM   #178
souzousei_kaish

XD I wish I HAD hair right now! DX
Unread 12-19-2007, 08:12 PM   #179
Ringo_Tan

Are bells with Lolita a no-no? I have this necklace, and I've had it ever since I was a child. It was a chain, and on it a silver bell was placed. I always thought it was a bell from Santa or somthing. Anyway, it broke, and I recently gotten it fixed. I wear this with every outfit, but I'm afraid it may be concidered kitty-cosplay if it wear it. D= The necklace is really, really special to me! I <3 it.
Unread 12-21-2007, 10:00 AM   #180
Petiteprincess1
More Frills then a Couch

Quote:
Are bells with Lolita a no-no? I have this necklace, and I've had it ever since I was a child. It was a chain, and on it a silver bell was placed. I always thought it was a bell from Santa or somthing. Anyway, it broke, and I recently gotten it fixed. I wear this with every outfit, but I'm afraid it may be concidered kitty-cosplay if it wear it. D= The necklace is really, really special to me! I <3 it.
I think it's fine if it's special to you wear it. As long as it's not like a giant digi charat bell. lol I also have something non lolita that I always wear with lolita that is special to me. It's chain with a symbol of my religion on it. I always just tuk it in my op or blouse.