Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-22-2008, 10:47 AM   #331
Meiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifilafoo View Post
thanks this thread helped me a lot I don't want to start lolita (because in all honesty I haven't the guts to wear stuff on the streets (not ashamed more don't like being stared at) and the fact where I live I'd get bricked) but i do want to show my love for the fashion and wear this for a con which I don't want to get frowned upon by especially by elitists and whatnot, do you think this is ok? don't flame me or anything I just want thoughts and opinions =x thankies
It's not a big deal to me, a lot of people host tea parties or fashion shows at cons so wearing lolita's not a big no-no. As long as you do your research and it looks good, you should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBunnyPirate View Post
Since we're on the top of accessories.......What kind of bag goes well with Kodona? I carry too much crap around with me on a regular basis to go without a purse, but all my purses and bags look really stupid with my kodona outfits. I was thinking a messenger bag man purse type thing would work just because it's the only masculine bag I can think of, but idk........
I think a messenger bag would be fine, or even like a briefcase style bag? That is an interesting question though, I never really thought about it.
Meiki is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-10-2008, 05:11 PM   #332
solofthedrgn

okay so i was thinking of doing lolita, but will it still look alirght if im carrying a backpack? D:
and i have lace gloves. is it really that big of a deal, or should i sacrifice the lace gloves?
>.<
okay, and also....what about wearing fishnet tights???
would that make the outfit look cheap?
Unread 12-10-2008, 05:46 PM   #333
TheLadySummoner
LaLiLuLeLo?

I'd suggest not wearing the lace gloves or the fishnet tights. Especially together. And as for the backpack, I'm not sure. I'd have to see it.
~Operetta - Monster High

Planned Costumes:
~Princess Zelda - Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
~Madoka Kaname school uniform - Puella Magi Madoka Magica
TheLadySummoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2008, 06:08 PM   #334
secretmirror180
From Planet Korin

Quote:
Originally Posted by solofthedrgn View Post
okay so i was thinking of doing lolita, but will it still look alirght if im carrying a backpack? D:
and i have lace gloves. is it really that big of a deal, or should i sacrifice the lace gloves?
>.<
okay, and also....what about wearing fishnet tights???
would that make the outfit look cheap?
Some lace gloves, like the one made by Victorian Maiden a whiles back, look really nice. Most of the time, they do not. I suggest not wearing the fishnets either. It's very hard to come up with a nice coordinate with fishnets in lolita. Backpack should be fine. Most of the time people don't care about the bag, but it really helps to tie an outfit together.

Zelda (30%), Shampoo Neko-hanten(90%), Akihabara maid outfit
Plus a kajillion outfits & wigs for friends & family...-_-

---
One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other. - Jane Austen
secretmirror180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2008, 11:11 PM   #335
Kirotighta
Lolita Apologist

You should post your outfit in the "is this lolita" before you go out in it so the experienced lolitas can examine you. ^_^
Kirotighta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2009, 12:01 AM   #336
Fireheart Storm
Tommyknockers

There was a thread recently about combinding Lolita with other fashions, and I was wondering is doing a Steam punk or diesel punk lolita would be posible?
Unread 01-10-2009, 12:20 AM   #337
Meiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireheart Storm View Post
There was a thread recently about combinding Lolita with other fashions, and I was wondering is doing a Steam punk or diesel punk lolita would be posible?
Steampunk and lolita go really well together, considering the time periods match up well. Here's some awesome examples:
http://community.livejournal.com/egl/10956256.html
http://community.livejournal.com/egl/11351159.html
http://community.livejournal.com/egl/12023269.html

And I did a polyvore set a while back:
http://www.polyvore.com/steampunk_lolita/set?id=612906

There's apparently a lj community for it as well: http://community.livejournal.com/steampunklolita/
Unread 01-16-2009, 03:33 PM   #338
double00beaver
Disco Toast

I'm interested in lolita but I have a few questions that I'd like to get an opinion on before I decide whether or not I want to actually embrace this style, the outfits look lovely but it's not just about the outfits and if I become a lolita, I'd like to gain some friends as well.

1. I'm a cosplayer and yet I know lolita isn't cosplay, but I'd only be able to wear lolita at conventions. Should I just give up right now?

2. I have limited funds and I'm not about to spend $400 on a dress and another $150 on necessary accessories, is it really that important to buy brand name items when off brand items sometimes look just as good, maybe even better?

3. I've always heard that being lolita is more than just dressing up, you have to behave like one as well. You have to act with diginity, grace, and be polite and yet lurking around this forum I've seen some very down right nasty people. Cursing, belittling new lolitas, and I have to be honest and say that it really has made me think twice. I'd be a new lolita and I'm still learning and wanting advice from more senior members but not at the risk of being treated like a lower life form that has no intelligence. So can lolitas call themselves that just because of the clothes they wear or does the personality of a true lolita have to be included?
double00beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2009, 03:47 PM   #339
Meiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by double00beaver View Post
I'm interested in lolita but I have a few questions that I'd like to get an opinion on before I decide whether or not I want to actually embrace this style, the outfits look lovely but it's not just about the outfits and if I become a lolita, I'd like to gain some friends as well.

1. I'm a cosplayer and yet I know lolita isn't cosplay, but I'd only be able to wear lolita at conventions. Should I just give up right now?

2. I have limited funds and I'm not about to spend $400 on a dress and another $150 on necessary accessories, is it really that important to buy brand name items when off brand items sometimes look just as good, maybe even better?

3. I've always heard that being lolita is more than just dressing up, you have to behave like one as well. You have to act with diginity, grace, and be polite and yet lurking around this forum I've seen some very down right nasty people. Cursing, belittling new lolitas, and I have to be honest and say that it really has made me think twice. I'd be a new lolita and I'm still learning and wanting advice from more senior members but not at the risk of being treated like a lower life form that has no intelligence. So can lolitas call themselves that just because of the clothes they wear or does the personality of a true lolita have to be included?
1. Nope! I've seen your name around the Animazement forum, and I'll be in lolita quite a bit, so you're not alone! We also have meet-ups in the area, our lj community is here: http://community.livejournal.com/northcarolitas/ if you'd be interested! We're getting to be a pretty big group, and we have a lot of fun!

2. Some people really care about brands, I will admit. I'm not one of them, I don't own a lick of brand myself, being a poor college student. On top of that, sewing is what I really love to do, so I'd rather sew than buy brand. It's not absolutely necessary, nice, but not necessary.

3. Some people do live the "lolita lifestyle" (or claim to) and are polite and sweet to everyone, have good manners, etc. etc. But it totally isn't a rule. I swear like a sailor, like to eat greasy tacos, and wear glasses (gasp!). I feel as though some people are too harsh on new people, it's my view that the more people join the fashion (and do it well!) the better! However, that doesn't mean if someone asks an obvious question (i.e. HOW CAN I BE LIEK MANA-SAMA LOLZ? WHITE FACE GOOD?) I'm going to hold their hand. Research is important! Do some and ask questions if you need help.
Unread 01-16-2009, 03:55 PM   #340
double00beaver
Disco Toast

Well I was wondering why your avatar looked familiar!

Okay, for the third one I won't exactly be a little princess. I'm polite to people, outgoing and friendly but I have a short temper towards... well, people in your example. I've been researching and I really love the sailor lolita style because it's not common. Mostly all I see are lolitas in black and white dresses with this bizarre frill fabric thing going on. They look all the same and I don't want to be one of them, plus I look dead in all black. xD

But yeah, sailor lolita and possibly sweet lolita for me, but I really want at least one wa-lolita outfit and I have some picked out from this really cool website, Cosmates Japan. I don't like most of their lolita clothes, but they have a whole wa-lolita section.
Unread 01-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #341
Meiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by double00beaver View Post
Well I was wondering why your avatar looked familiar!

Okay, for the third one I won't exactly be a little princess. I'm polite to people, outgoing and friendly but I have a short temper towards... well, people in your example. I've been researching and I really love the sailor lolita style because it's not common. Mostly all I see are lolitas in black and white dresses with this bizarre frill fabric thing going on. They look all the same and I don't want to be one of them, plus I look dead in all black. xD

But yeah, sailor lolita and possibly sweet lolita for me, but I really want at least one wa-lolita outfit and I have some picked out from this really cool website, Cosmates Japan. I don't like most of their lolita clothes, but they have a whole wa-lolita section.
Sailor is cute! Meta puts out a line just about every summer with sailor stuff. Sweet actually seems to be the most popular recently, I'm not big on gothic myself.

I wouldn't order from Cosmates! Ordering directly from Bodyline (the brand that makes those wa-loli dresses) : https://www.bodyline.co.jp/bodyline/ tends to be much cheaper.
Unread 01-16-2009, 04:06 PM   #342
double00beaver
Disco Toast

Oh, is it? I never thought to look for the original brands, I found out about Cosmates when I bought some stuff on sale for a school uniform...which has now become a rave outfit.

I'm checking out the NC lolita LJ and it looks like everyone is really having fun, if I actually start going down the path of no return...I mean...Lolita... I'll probably end up joining. I'm actually trying to get an outfit comissioned for Animazement's fashion show. If you've seen the fourth issue of the Gothic & Lolita Bible, the mnaga that is in the back "Looks Like a Teaspoon", I'm having Alistair's Alice outfit made.
Unread 01-16-2009, 04:31 PM   #343
Meiki

Yeah, Cosmates used to be the only place to get Bodyline shipped outside of Japan, but recently they started shipping for themselves Be careful about Bodyline though, some of their stuff is okay quality (wa-loli included) but some is really cheap.

We do have a lot of fun! There are about...20-some of us, and we've got a pretty good mix of ages and styles. I haven't actually seen it, but I'm excited to get your submission anyway! I've only gotten 1 thus far haha.
Unread 01-17-2009, 05:16 PM   #344
Keiosu
Plastic Voyager

I was wondering if it was better to have a skirt be an inch or two below the knee or right at it. Any opinions on what you think is proper length?

Nothin'

Last edited by Keiosu : 01-17-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Keiosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #345
celticfreefall

Do you mean skirt? As long as your skirt length is in that one to two inch range above or below, you're fine and it's up to your personal taste. I personally like a longer skirt because I feel more comfortable with that length, but others prefer the look of a skirt one inch above the knee, others directly at the knee. For a lot of people their minds are made up due to the length of the dress they are buying. Brand dresses come in one size and they just go with the flow of whatever the length is. But if you're getting a dress commissioned or making one yourself, just go with whatever you think looks best or what makes you feel comfortable.
celticfreefall is offline   Reply With Quote