Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > EGL

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-03-2007, 12:00 PM   #31
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

I see your point, Meiki, and it's a valid one. Someone in an authentic lolita blouse and a pair of jeans or a ruffled skirt, tee shirt, and striped socks shouldn't be calling herself a lolita. There are certain criteria you have to fit.

Conversely, I'm leery of letting people believe there is one way, and one way only, to do lolita fashion. Fashion is something that isn't static and is highly personal, so it should be played around with. And you should by all means be allowed to wear a lolita skirt with a tee shirt-- just as long as you're not calling it something it's not. As far as I'm concerned, the only people giving lolitas bad names are the ones with major attitude problems-- and this type exists on both sides of the lolita divide.

--Penny
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-03-2007, 12:28 PM   #32
Meiki

I totally agree that smaller changes are totally alright. And good for the fashion. I myself wear puffy-sleeved t-shirts with my outfits all the time. I totally agree on the attitude point as well, but I do think it's important to have things like guidelines posted places so that people who are really new to the fashion can get an idea of the basic lolita style.
Meiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2007, 02:53 PM   #33
TsukikoAiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiki View Post
I totally agree that smaller changes are totally alright. And good for the fashion. I myself wear puffy-sleeved t-shirts with my outfits all the time. I totally agree on the attitude point as well, but I do think it's important to have things like guidelines posted places so that people who are really new to the fashion can get an idea of the basic lolita style.
I agree. I am new to lolita myself even though most of my friends wear the fashion from day to day. If anyone thought I was trying to start an argument I apologize^-^ I'm really glad some basic guidelines are here because I guess I just want to make my friends proud. If they don't like it, yeah it's too bad, but I'm not going to cry over it.

Anise - Tales of the Abyss
Professor Nebilim - Tales of the Abyss
S-ko - Guilty Gear XX
Sailor Uranus - Sailor Moon ~In Progress~
Sophitia - Soul Calibur 3 (Remaking)
TsukikoAiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2007, 03:00 PM   #34
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

No, you're right, Meiki-- and like I said before, if you're going to make changes, you have to know what you're supposed to be changing in the first place.

--Penny
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2007, 03:11 PM   #35
TsukikoAiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
No, you're right, Meiki-- and like I said before, if you're going to make changes, you have to know what you're supposed to be changing in the first place.

--Penny
Thanks! I really appreciate the positivity of this thread. Some of the others I'm scared of ^_^()

Anise - Tales of the Abyss
Professor Nebilim - Tales of the Abyss
S-ko - Guilty Gear XX
Sailor Uranus - Sailor Moon ~In Progress~
Sophitia - Soul Calibur 3 (Remaking)
TsukikoAiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2007, 06:11 PM   #36
DigitalDeviance
Fakir: Jedi Knight

Ľ Question--how should males who wear Lolita fashion wear their hair? (I'm not talking about those who crossdress, those who wear male fashion.) Is there any unnacceptable way to wear your hair?
DigitalDeviance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2007, 06:21 PM   #37
Meiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDeviance View Post
Ľ Question--how should males who wear Lolita fashion wear their hair? (I'm not talking about those who crossdress, those who wear male fashion.) Is there any unnacceptable way to wear your hair?
That's a really good question. Typically if you're doing boystyle most girls will have short, choppy hair or a wig on. But there are other ways of doing it. I've seen quite a few girls with bangs just stuff the rest of their hair in a hat. I myself braid my hair when wearing anything boy-ish. But really, it's hard to say. There aren't too many long hairstyles that work when trying to look like a boy.
Unread 01-08-2007, 06:25 PM   #38
DigitalDeviance
Fakir: Jedi Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiki View Post
That's a really good question. Typically if you're doing boystyle most girls will have short, choppy hair or a wig on. But there are other ways of doing it. I've seen quite a few girls with bangs just stuff the rest of their hair in a hat. I myself braid my hair when wearing anything boy-ish. But really, it's hard to say. There aren't too many long hairstyles that work when trying to look like a boy.
» Okay, thank you. I'm assuming the same thing applies for those who are actually male?

Edit: Oh, and what about boys who wear their hair short and curly? I haven't ever seen a male lolita/male lolita-styled female with their hair like that.

Last edited by DigitalDeviance : 01-08-2007 at 06:29 PM.
DigitalDeviance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2007, 07:09 PM   #39
Meiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalDeviance View Post
Ľ Okay, thank you. I'm assuming the same thing applies for those who are actually male?

Edit: Oh, and what about boys who wear their hair short and curly? I haven't ever seen a male lolita/male lolita-styled female with their hair like that.
For guys pretty much any hair will do really, for girls it's trying to look more manly with shorter hair and hair up.

I'd love to see a curly-haired person in boystyle! Aaaah so cute. It would remind me of Harpo Marx. Which would be too cute in my opinion. Most of the time you won't see it just because Japanese people have pretty straight hair.
Unread 01-08-2007, 09:48 PM   #40
PeachyPotpies
Not just a potpie, its...

Hmm. I've been thinking about doing a Sweet Lolita cosplay sometime, I haven't had time off from work enough to do anything and next month I'm off to another country -_-; But when I DO get around to it, one major problem I have is my hair. Its really short and black, I really don't think it would work. What do y'all think I should do? Wig?
PeachyPotpies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2007, 09:55 PM   #41
Meiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachyPotpies View Post
Hmm. I've been thinking about doing a Sweet Lolita cosplay sometime, I haven't had time off from work enough to do anything and next month I'm off to another country -_-; But when I DO get around to it, one major problem I have is my hair. Its really short and black, I really don't think it would work. What do y'all think I should do? Wig?
http://lolita-handbook.livejournal.com/2051.html#cutid1 If you scroll down a bit, there's quite a few examples of using short hair for loli! I really think it looks very cute. But if you feel more comfortable with a wig, by all means get one.
Unread 01-08-2007, 10:10 PM   #42
PeachyPotpies

Aye, I think a wig would work better for me. I don't think I really know where to get one though...
Unread 01-08-2007, 10:14 PM   #43
Meiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachyPotpies View Post
Aye, I think a wig would work better for me. I don't think I really know where to get one though...
Cosworx and Amphigory are two places that sell wigs that I've heard good things about! Cosworx has a wider selection of more natural-looking colors I think.
Unread 01-08-2007, 10:33 PM   #44
PeachyPotpies

I don't know much about wigs, but would I need a 'wig cap'?
Unread 01-08-2007, 10:51 PM   #45
Meiki

Yup, it just keeps all your hair up and away so it doesn't show when you're wearing your wig.