Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga

Unread 11-09-2006, 01:57 PM   #1
AbbytehAWESOME
your local stoner Allen

Question Manga vs. Anime cosplay?

I'm doing a flashback version of Chrno from Chrno Crusade, but there are a few things that are different between the anime and the manga versions... I can't decide what to do, even though the differences are so small!

Manga: http://chrno3.angeltowns.net/img_02.11.jpg

Anywho, you can see that in the manga he has belts wrapped around his arms and legs, and in the anime they're just grey bands. Also, in the anime he has boots on and in the manga they're kinda just like foot straps (or something... >>)
I think the one thing that would really matter is shoe-wearing rules at cons....I guess if I did the manga version I could put sandal soles at the bottom, but what do you guys think?
Gah, it's been driving me crazy....>>

I'll post a reference for the anime later, I can't find it right now and I'm at school...XD
Nan Desu Kan: Denver

Currently Working on...
D. Gray-man: Allen, third uniform plus Crown Clown Omega and sword! (for Anime Wasabi)
uniform - 75%
sword - 50%
mask - 80%

ARG PROGRESSSSSS
AbbytehAWESOME is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-09-2006, 02:09 PM   #2
lawliet
m e r o - i x

I guess you just go with what you prefer or think you can pull off better. It's your cosplay after all, you're allowed to take liberties. ;3
lawliet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2006, 02:26 PM   #3
80 Dominoes
Premium Dancer

I agree with lawliet, it's a matter of preference and the cosplayer should decide.
I always go with the manga version though since it's the author's actual design for their character (The anime version usually changes things for easier animation purposes or something).

But you should pick which ever one you like more and are more comfortable with :3
80 Dominoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2006, 05:33 PM   #4
Curucar

If they're fairly similar and you can't decide, just do a hybrid of the two. Take bits from the manga that you like and combine it with the anime pieces that you perfer over the manga.
Unread 11-11-2006, 12:11 AM   #5
the bookworm
Muahahaha hic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curucar
If they're fairly similar and you can't decide, just do a hybrid of the two. Take bits from the manga that you like and combine it with the anime pieces that you perfer over the manga.
I have to agree. I'm encountering/have encountered a similar problem with my Yaone (Saiyuki) costume. Just go with whatever you feel is better. As for your shoe issue, I believe most cons are inside and the centers have a "shoes must be worn" policy. Although I did see an Inuyasha wandering around with bare feet... *shrug* So the shoes just boil down to: would you feel comfortable walking around all day in your bare feet or do you want some support?
the bookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2006, 10:02 AM   #6
Hiro_01
"haha moo"-Kakashi

well i love Chrno i saw up to dvd three because something happend to the dvd. it really love the Anime because it's funny and kewii at the same time. Sometimes it's a little emo, but that's just like fma. Any who. I only cosplay from anime and now i'm venturing into gameing cosplay because i only watch anime. If i read manga then i'd probly do that too, but it all depends on what your prefrence is. I don't think many people will know who you are by first glance, but it may take them a while to understand.

Even for the world of anime cosplayers. When i was the battery at con con(ct con) people didn't know who i was at first for those of them who never watched the show, but a vast mijoirty loved me. And i got my wallet back that way. i think you should play something that stands out more because people can find you easier.
L100%
Jessy:100%
Ed-100%
Adding a new con to the list! Bakuraketsu, Anime Boston, CT con (hopefully they'll be more in the summer if i can pay for them all)
Hiro_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2006, 05:14 PM   #7
Gwydion
Cardboard is Love

Finally found the picture I was looking for!

http://chrno2.angeltowns.net/img_mag33.jpg

As you can see, the anime and manga versions are actually quite a bit different. The colors are the biggest thing, but also he doesn't have sleeves on the shirt, only the arm bands, the pants are more structured on the side, and of course what you mentioned about the belts and lack of shoes/boots. Since you've already started with the anime colors, I would suggest continuing that route, not to mention it makes the barefoot problem non-existant, but you could also do as others suggested and do sort of a mixture of both since, yes, I think the changes were made to make animating him easier (and more colorful).

Felt I'd offer that up. ^_^
Prince Alexander, King's Quest VI - 75% done
Gwydion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2006, 11:03 PM   #8
AbbytehAWESOME
your local stoner Allen

Ack, thanks! (by the way, that picture is too cute. And no, I don't think you're a stalker XDDD)

But yeah, I think that since the shoes rule is "toes must be covered", I'd be better off just doing the anime version. Though I think having like, 500 belts all around my arms and legs, hah. But yeah, I guess I'll just do the anime version. Though those grey bands are so hard to sew on! ARG!

And did you notice his neck armor is red in that picture...? WTF.
Nan Desu Kan: Denver

Currently Working on...
D. Gray-man: Allen, third uniform plus Crown Clown Omega and sword! (for Anime Wasabi)
uniform - 75%
sword - 50%
mask - 80%

ARG PROGRESSSSSS
AbbytehAWESOME is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2006, 10:25 AM   #9
Sonsko-chan
Rude and Ginger

You could always combine the two. For example, Miss Tea combined Yoruichi from both the manga and anime of Bleach and it turned out well.