Go Back   Cosplay.com > International Forums > Japan

Unread 11-09-2006, 05:18 PM   #1
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Japan Events

Depending on if I get accepted and when I can do it regarding money, I may be staying in Japan for study during the months of September through December or March through June depending on when I attend. I would really love to experience an anime/cosplay event while there, specifically ones that actually allow cosplaying but anything is fine.

I'd be near the Tokyo area so that would be my best bet for location. I'm looking for anything that occurs from September til mid December (I'd likely be going home before the end of December, and since Comiket tends to be then I dunno if I could make it unless I find other lodging after classes end!), or from March to June.

I know about and am interested in both the Tokyo Anime Faire and Tokyo Game Show, but do these allow cosplay? Not like I wouldn't want to go if they didn't, but it'd be good to know. I also learned about these: http://www.comicon.co.jp/cosjoy/ and was wondering if anyone had any information on them. The English site for TGS doesn't give much info on rules from what I can see, for example.

Not to mention, does anyone have any advice on how to actually get to these or any tips in general? My Japanese is pretty much at the intermediate level, and by the time I actually go to Japan to study it should hopefully be at least an advanced intermediate level, so I'm not entirely worried about getting around/arriving at the event themselves at this point.

Is there anything else I'm missing?

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: Anime Los Angeles (January 9-11)

Last edited by Michi : 11-09-2006 at 05:23 PM.
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-10-2006, 03:43 AM   #2
ArsenalFierce13
Resident Goddess

As far as the TGS is concerned, yes they allow cosplay. This year the cosplay area was in between two of the buildings at the convention center. I don't know if there was a designated changing room since I didn't cosplay myself, but I saw some cosplayers walking around the convention, so I guess it's not as strict as Comiket where they're restricted to specific areas.

Costumes, costumes, la la la! http://www.chicagocostume.com

Cosplay wish list: Faye Valentine masquerade gown (Cowboy Bebop), Lehas (Magna Carta), Gaara (Naruto), Yohko Mano (Devil Hunter Yohko),Setsuka (Soul Calibur III), Zhen Ji (Dynasty Warriors 5)
ArsenalFierce13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2006, 07:43 AM   #3
Cora
Shine Forever

Most of the events in the site you listed look like they're going to be in Osaka...which is pretty far from Tokyo. I'm not sure if the site is just for Osaka events or if there's only Osaka events coming up soon...

As far as TGS, I went this year and cosplayed a little bit (like...30 minutes?? x.x;; ) They did have a designated changing area, but it was pretty far away from the cosplay area, so I cheated and changed in a bathroom....I had a simple costume so it wasn't a huge deal. They weren't super strict about where cosplayers went, but I think the general idea was that you couldn't take cosplay pictures outside of the designated cosplay area. Basically the way you cosplay in Japan...you find a spot in the designated area (which can be hard finding a nice one without infringing on someone else @_@) and people will approach you to take a picture...and that's basically how it works. If you're taking pictures, you kind of gather with other people and snap a few photos. The only thing is that sometimes the Japanese cosplayers will like...outright ignore you if they're just sort of hanging with friends...it's a little frustrating sometimes, but eh. They also do their own photoshoots there as well.

Tokyo Game Show was held at the Makuhari Messe in Chiba this year (which was nice because it was so close to the university I'm attending), and I'm assuming that's where it is every year. It's really easy to get to on the JR (Japan Rail) line...I think the Keiyo line. The station is called Kaihin Makuhari, and the messe is right nearby...there'll be lots of people there, so you won't get lost XD

As far as other events like Comiket, I'm not sure..I've heard of their strict rules, so just be careful. Unfortunately I haven't heard of many other cosplay events while being here, but I'm sure there's been something going on.

Jump Festa is also going to be at the Makuhari Messe in a few weeks...but I don't know if they allow cosplay ^^;
Cora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2006, 02:25 PM   #4
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

I'm more interested in any events in general near Tokyo (when I go, I'll be staying about 30-60 minutes outside the city) than ones you can cosplay at. Attending them is more important to me, since I wanna be able to experience new stuff, but it'd be awesome to make some costumes specifically for wear in Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cora
Most of the events in the site you listed look like they're going to be in Osaka...which is pretty far from Tokyo. I'm not sure if the site is just for Osaka events or if there's only Osaka events coming up soon...
Yeah, I saw that. That's why I was hoping maybe somebody had more info, like if they have events outside of Osaka. XD; Though I do think I'll have the chance to spend some time there, I dunno if it'd coincide with those events and the events are definitely not the reason I wanna visit the area!

Unread 12-25-2006, 02:50 PM   #5
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Kicking back up my own thread...

Anyone know how early Comiket announces their dates? If I manage to be in Japan for the fall semester in 2007, I need to know how late I'll need to stay in the year to make it to the Winter Comiket. Is it always that last weekend of December? Anyone? :x

Unread 01-02-2007, 09:17 AM   #6
Tsumanne
History Nerd

It might be a month or two untill they get the dates up for Summer Comiket. Although it's always in August. Usually the first half of the month. Winter comiket is always in the very end of December. Just came back from that today actually. Good way to end the year. Of course then there's the Tokyo Game Show which is in the Fall if I remember correctly (haven't been to that one yet).

*Warning* The Tokyo International Anime Fair in the spring does NOT allow cosplay of any form or kind.

Also worth mentioning is the Tokyo Dome City. On certain Sundays there are informal cosplay gatherings there. I live very far away from Tokyo so I don't have any more details on that, but I've heard about it and seen some pictures. Looked like fun. And Tokyo Dome City actually has a mall and small Amuesment park. If you are into the EGL / Visual Kei type scenes then Harajuku would be a decent stop.

Not too much else coming to mind. Sadly there is absolutely no cosplay up in Aomori where I live so I'm a little out of the loop on these things.

Event Calendar:
Comic Market 87 - Tokyo, Japan: December
Tsumanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2007, 01:22 PM   #7
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

I don't think I'll be able to make summer Comiket for a very very long time. Winter Comiket is most likely.

Would it be a good idea to just plan to stay in Japan until after New Year's in order to make Comiket? ..Obviously these plans are being decided a whole year in advance, haha, and I won't know until like late March if I can even go.

I'm not so big into cosplay that I absolutely need a bunch of different places to do it in while I'm in Japan, but thank you for the tips. XD I'll stick to the events that allow it, and check out the ones that don't anyway.

Unread 01-03-2007, 02:25 AM   #8
Tsumanne
History Nerd

yep sticking around till after the new year would be a good idea. The dates vary every year and this year winter comiket was the 29th-31st. Could be a little earlyer next year, but we won't know untill September sometime (The winter dates aren't released till after the summer event is finished).

Also that means you can do New Year's in Tokyo. That's what I did after comiket last weekend. Went to Meji-Jingu which is a huuuge shrine in Harajuku where millions of people start the new year. And if you don't want to stand around all night that's ok, you can just go anytime on the January first and the event is still going on. New Year's is an all day thing in Japan.

FYI: The weather was actually pretty good at comiket. Important since it's an outdoor event for the most part. Friday was a little windy (and cosplay was limited do to other events, quite skipable), chilly but still wasn't too cold. The rest of the event was very comfortable as long as you dressed reasonably. Although there were plenty of cosplayers showing skin and they didn't appear to be all that un-comfortable. And if you do get cold just wander around inside a bit.

TGP and Winter Comiket sounds like your best options. One or two events should be plenty, besides you'll be busy with other stuff. Good luck

Event Calendar:
Comic Market 87 - Tokyo, Japan: December
Tsumanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2007, 09:23 AM   #9
rednecko

You could also come early and participate in the Science Fiction Worldcon being held in Yokohama. They have one of the best Masquerades out there. http://www.nippon2007.us is the website for the event. It will happen August 30th-September 3rd at the Pacifico Yokohama. That seems to be close to the start part of your studies in Japan.
rednecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2007, 12:47 PM   #10
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Tsumanne ~ Yeah, I'll be there to study so that's my top priority, but I want to be able to run out to Tokyo on the weekends for some events and concerts through the year. I intend to try and pack at least a costume or two among my things. XD

rednecko ~ Hmm, I have stepfamily in Yokohama... I might be able to catch the end of that. If I go this year, I'd arrive August 29 but can't really do anything until after September 1st I think.

Unread 04-21-2007, 10:35 PM   #11
heki-chan
SMA-Cosplay
Board Moderator

Does anyone know what the dates are for Wonder Festival Summer 2007? I can only find the past dates >o<;;
heki-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2007, 12:49 PM   #12
YUKI-SNOW
Cos name is YURAN!!

heki-chan>
Wonder Festival Summer 2007 is due to be held on August 12. (^^)
YUKI-SNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2007, 01:28 PM   #13
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

Oh lame, two weeks before I arrive. XD (I forgot to follow up here that I did get accepted for this fall, so I'll be in Japan from late August until the end of the year.)

I'm aiming for Jump Festa, Tokyo Game Show, and Comiket right now. I'd like to find out what other small cosplay events I can find during September, October, November, and December.

Unread 04-24-2007, 07:44 PM   #14
heki-chan
SMA-Cosplay
Board Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUKI-SNOW View Post
heki-chan>
Wonder Festival Summer 2007 is due to be held on August 12. (^^)
Thank you! ^o^ Cosplay is okay at Wonder Festival, right? Yay! I can go to Wonder and Comiket! ^o^ ^o^
heki-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2007, 09:31 AM   #15
YUKI-SNOW
Cos name is YURAN!!

heki-chan>
Cosplay is permitted in the Won Fes.
Enjoy Japan(^^)
YUKI-SNOW is offline   Reply With Quote