Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > San Diego Comic Con

Unread 11-11-2006, 12:56 AM   #1
Lyris
TwirlZ

Looking at hotels for SDCC '07

Dang....you know the Omni, like literally right next to the convention center....sold out already. Someone told me that a couple months in advance would be good enough, but the con isn't for another 7-8 months or so. Am I like the only one who hasn't gotten a hotel yet? Should I start immediately now? Any good suggestions please? I'm gonna die soon...I feel like its already too late. I mean man, should I start reserving my hotel for the next year while I'm at the con??? ....Help.....
Lyris is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-24-2006, 12:28 AM   #2
Mandy Mitchell
Mars Fire Ignite!

Check the SDCC website in January 2007. They will have their list of SDCC sanctioned hotels soon. It's best to book your room through SDCC as soon as the hotels are available. The hotels sell out really fast. Plus you'll get SDCC the room discount.
Mandy Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2006, 01:27 AM   #3
Chibi Plush Toy
KTBSPA24-7

WTF How can Omni be sold out already? The date is like...hella far from today!
♥◌°
Chibi Plush Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2006, 02:35 AM   #4
Lisa Honeychan
Lovely Warrior

I work in the hotel business here in Las Vegas..Granted San Diego -might- be a bit different than here, but i'm SURE the Omni isn't sold-out officially.

Hotels will tell potential customers they are sold out or unavailable for dates they are trying to protect for a big group or convention. SDCC probably takes 50-75% of the available rooms for that time, and my guess is that right now, they haven't signed the contract with the convention for the amount of rooms they want yet.

January is the magic time that the con sends out a mailer/update on guests for the coming year's event, plus hotel information. Did you attend in 2006? If so, you'll get the update telling you to book your hotel ASAP.

Don't forget, San Diego has many, many other good hotels in the city. If you have your own car for use, the Hotel Circle area is about 4-5 miles away, and i've been able to book one month before the con with no problems. But, if you want to stay at the Omni for the free transportation to the con...Book in January.

Hope this helps,

Lisa Honeychan
Lisa Honeychan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2006, 11:15 AM   #5
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

The hotels for SDCC 2007 are available at the special con-rates starting on:

February 6th, 2007 at 9:00am PST

At that time you can reserve a room at comic-con.org, or by calling 1-877-55-COMIC (1-877-552-6642) but don't call until that date arrives.

I'm going to try again for the Manchester Grand Hyatt again, if not, then I'll try for the Marriott. Usually the first one to sell out is the Gaslamp Hilton which is across the street from the middle-section of the convention center.
Eurobeat King is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2006, 10:49 PM   #6
A J
sets ovens on fire

It's not sold out per se. SDCC always holds a huge block of rooms in all the nearby hotels. Any rooms not held for SDCC can be booked but I bet those are all booked already by people trying to bypass the con hotel registration.

There will be rooms available when sdcc opens up hotel booking but u have to move fast as they're usually sold out within the day. And by sold out, I mean ALL the hotels. o_O

Housing is always such an adventure for SDCC. =P
Unread 01-05-2007, 08:00 AM   #7
rednecko

The hotels for the SDCC block sell out within hours. I would suggest booking now for further away hotels to guarantee a hotel room. I just booked a room for $110 a night at the Holiday Inn-National City (two blocks from a trolley stop and free breakfast). If you get a room in the official room block, you can cancel the other room. Make sure you avoid using Orbitz, expedia, Hotels.com for this. Those sites require pre-payment for those rooms at time of booking. Go to the official hotel websites and do book there.
rednecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2007, 08:08 PM   #8
linkluver6
Zelda fan for life!!!

woah I got scared there for a moment

geez I need to plan who is going for this as well

february?

and I keep checking about ax

FF7
Gintama
linkluver6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2007, 12:06 PM   #9
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

I'm going to be ready on that Tuesday, Feb. 6th, to book my SDCC hotel that morning.

Last year (at my old job) I used the office computer to reserve my room, and my managers were cool about it. This year it's not so easy, so I have to be home to reserve it. If I have to work that morning, I'll call work and tell them I'll be a little late. hehe

Good luck everyone in getting your SDCC room!

Last edited by Eurobeat King : 01-13-2007 at 12:09 PM.
Unread 01-14-2007, 02:04 AM   #10
Kanira
Non-Playable Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkluver6 View Post
woah I got scared there for a moment

geez I need to plan who is going for this as well

february?

and I keep checking about ax
AX already has their hotels out :> The Renaissance is the big one second to the Hyatt, with the rate of $133 through the convention. Am already booked myself, and I wouldn't recommend waiting; it doesn't cost you anything to book, and you can always cancel. Better too soon than too late.
Kanira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2007, 01:07 PM   #11
SeleneLA
Underworld Death Dealer

Sounds crazy but the hotels sell out a year in advance, so get their hotels for the following year during the comic con.
But like the other posters have said there should be a few available still.

Costumes

Selene Underworld- Done
Jean Gray/ Dark Pheonix- Done
Supergirl- Done
Batgirl Dark Knight Done

Future Costume
Princess Leia Hoth

Comic Con2010- Be there or Be Square
[b]

www.myspace.com/batgirl_hero
SeleneLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2007, 07:59 PM   #12
Lyris
TwirlZ

Does anyone have suggestion of what hotel to stay at. Is the omni any good. Any hotels within a walking distance or CCshuttle line would be great. And anyone have a hotel suggestion NOT to stay in?
Lyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2007, 08:03 PM   #13
Illone

There's a bunch of hotels in Hotel Circle (Mission Valley) area which is a good alternative since there's a trolly line pretty close by that can take you to the convention center. If there's a problem with the hotels near the Comic Con I would consider that a good alternative.

If I recall, there also were some busses that were taking people to and from Comic Con so I'm sure there will be some viable alternatives out there.
Illone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2007, 10:42 PM   #14
Eurobeat King
Justified Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyris View Post
Does anyone have suggestion of what hotel to stay at. Is the omni any good. Any hotels within a walking distance or CCshuttle line would be great. And anyone have a hotel suggestion NOT to stay in?
Although the Marriott is the closest hotel to the convention center, when you reach the con you'll be at the beginning of Hall A. Which is why the Hilton Gaslamp and the Omni are better, even though across the street (other side of the street-car tracks), when you get to the convention center, you'll be around Hall D or E, which is where the big, more popular booths are: Star Wars, Hasbro, New Line, etc. So it depends on which part of the con you want to start your morning at.

One hotel I wouldn't reccomend (unless you had no choice) would be the Horton Grand hotel. I stayed there in 2004, and it's an old-style Victorian-theme hotel, and the rooms are nice. Butttt.. there's no public-parking so you have to do valet everytime you want to go in-and-out, and they're very strict on keys: if you ask for more keys than you have people on the list (you ask for 3 keys when you say you have only two people) they will charge you for a 3rd person. Anddd.. because it's an older-hotel, there's no internet (maybe they have wi-fi) but you can use dial-up which is 75 cents a call. That was good since I made a 250 minute call to upload pics one night, and it only cost me 75 cents but it was reallllly sloooow to upload pictures. Overall, after that year my bro and i decided to go back to the Hyatt and we've stayed there since 2005.

I personally would wait until the Feb. 6th date to book your hotel room, as the con-rate would most likely be cheaper than booking it beforehand. I've used the system since 2003, and it's quite reliable and I was able to look & choose the hotel I wanted (and got it) each year.
Unread 01-23-2007, 03:38 PM   #15
linkluver6
Zelda fan for life!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanira View Post
AX already has their hotels out :> The Renaissance is the big one second to the Hyatt, with the rate of $133 through the convention. Am already booked myself, and I wouldn't recommend waiting; it doesn't cost you anything to book, and you can always cancel. Better too soon than too late.
yah I booked ax last week (hyatt!)

but I suppose I need to do comic con a sap

FF7
Gintama
linkluver6 is offline   Reply With Quote