Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 08-13-2002, 10:03 PM   #1
Quies
Insanity's Realm

the J-rock look

yellow there.
this developed from my showing a pic of Gackt's Mizerable outfit to a friend of mine over AIM. once i assuderd her that he was a guy (yes, it did take two times) her oppinion was "ick".
this got me to woundering just what other people though of what the J-rock members' looks. i know that there are most deffiatly some fans here, but what's the general consensis?
too girly looking? hot? ...? or anything else?

oh..feel free to ignor any randomness of mine..such as this post. i'm trying to keep my mind of the fact that i go back to school this thursday.

Unread 08-14-2002, 02:35 AM   #2
ReiChan
Death Incarnate

I think it's cool. I like all that kind of stuff, even non-Japanese stuff like David Bowie in his Ziggy Stardust days. I wouldn't say I'm physically attracted to J-rockers though. I guess I never really thought about it. I'm not a hardcore J-rock fan.
Unread 08-14-2002, 10:08 AM   #3
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Love it. Love. It.

At my age, I really can't pull off much of the little girl/teenager-types that are the backbone of so much of anime without looking ridiculous, and in real life I've been a goth long enough that I'm very comfortable and very happy in goofy pseudo-industrial clothes (goofy pseudo-New Romantic clothes, like Gackt's Mizerable outfit, I do find silly). I find I'm focusing more on j-rock as time goes on.

Unfortunately, I can't reconcile this with my general lack of interest in the actual music. I've tried, and I haven't found a j-rock band I actually like, which probably makes me a poseur. I don't lose too much sleep over it, though.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2002, 10:25 AM   #4
Yggdrasil Pie
WRYYYYYYY

I guess they're okay, I only seen some pics of J-rock people when my friend sends them to me... ^^;;

Acually, It didn't freak me out that I found out they were really guys... ^^;;;;;
Unread 08-14-2002, 10:25 AM   #5
KuroBara
dog of the military

I haven't really been exposed to the music, but I love j-rock cosplayers. The detailed outfits are just great, and I really like the whole goth / industrial / lolita look. I'm a fan of "Angel Sanctuary", and the costume designs for that are kind of similar to some j-rock outfits.

I'm not physically attracted to the crossdressing j-rockers, but a little eyeliner on a guy can be sexy. To each their own.
Unread 08-14-2002, 10:53 AM   #6
Tenshi
Needs more sparkles

Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't. The only Jrock band I'm at all familiar with is Malice Mizer, and that's because someone on a Final Fantasy list told me that Gackt looked just like Squall ^^;;. I just kinda get the vibe that Jrock bands are more show than substance, which turns me off (I'm somewhat of a music snob :P).

But as for the looks. . .I do admire the detailed outfits and wacky makeup. The guys ARE a bit too femme for my tastes. I'm sorry, but Gackt looks like he'd shatter into a million pieces if he fell over, he's so skinny.

(But I HAVE considered doing Jrock cosplay before. . .to scare my friends XD)

Next Up:Mad Hatter Tamaki (Ouran Host Club), Tuxedo Mask (Sera Myu) and Kaitou Sinbad (Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne)
I declare this The Year of Making Epic Jackets
Tenshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2002, 11:29 AM   #7
shiroi_yukiko
has helmet hair

<p>I'm a huge j-rock fan, but I'll admit that the first time I saw a really visual band I was a little intimidated. It wasn't exactly because they were men, but more that some of the outfits were a little freaky...heh. At the time I was wondering what would make anyone want to look like that! So I went in the back door and started with the music... Of course, two years later I couldn't care less what they look like or are wearing. Some of those boys are quite attractive though makeup or no...*cough* And I've been known to be quite a fangirl...*cough*
<P>As for convincing others that they're all men... that is a task that takes time in many cases and lots of patience... he he he.
Etsy Shop
shiroi_yukiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2002, 11:54 AM   #8
nagagutsu

This goddess definitely has the j-rock look down!

http://www.angelicstar.net/cos-images/kyomu/kyomu7.JPG

http://www.angelicstar.net/cos-images/kyomu/kyomu6.JPG
nagagutsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2002, 12:08 PM   #9
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

I do, however, think Gackt is absolutely dreamy. YMMV of course.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Unread 08-14-2002, 12:46 PM   #10
Kurenai

I'm still not used to the j-rock look in its entirety, but I've been a huge fan of X-Japan for a couple years now, and I always liked their visual-kei style ^^
Kurenai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2002, 09:13 AM   #11
Camui Gackt
-=~*Mistah Butabara*~=-

Umm..... Well as you can see, I've made it painfully obvious that I am a J-Rock fan... particularly of Malice Mizer and Gackt. My first cosplay was Gackt's Au Revoir PV costume, I wore it during the saturday of Anime North 2002. I can upload a picture if anyone wants to see it... ^^
Unread 08-16-2002, 09:36 AM   #12
Lovelyangel_81
Eternal awaits...

I think it takes a real man to wear make-up, but that just me. I like Gackt and Malice Mizer. Remember in the 70's and 80's. We have big hair bands like" Poison, Kiss, and Motley Cue (sp?) who wears make-up and all the groupie they had been with. So maybe they were not extreme as some of the Jrockers. Oh well. I guess whatever rocks your boat.
Unread 08-16-2002, 07:55 PM   #13
Quies
Insanity's Realm

hehee. it's interesting to here what everyone else has to say. sorry i took so long to come back here. darn school! I want to MAIME who ever came up with highschool, Ap calsses, and...ya, marching band too.
anywho. i have to agress with what most people said. at first i was kinda like "..." about the costumes and such but now i absolutly love some of them. and some of the singers/members arn't that bad themselves.

Quote:
Originally posted by warumono
Some of those boys are quite attractive though makeup or no...*cough* And I've been known to be quite a fangirl...*cough*
<P>As for convincing others that they're all men... that is a task that takes time in many cases and lots of patience... he he he.
lol. i have to agrree with you on both points there.

Camui Gackt- please do post your pics!

(arrgg..i took me 3 tries to get this up..darn internet failures...)
Unread 08-17-2002, 12:00 AM   #14
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

But then I always harbored a secret wish to grow up to be Boy George. In fact I still do.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Unread 08-17-2002, 08:09 PM   #15
kyuuketsuki

It's all my nee~chan's fault that I even know what J-rock is much less listen to it, own their cds, and love it to death....
I love their costumes and would die if I could manage one that looked that great, plus my nee~chan is good friends with our neighborhood J-rock man (who's done some fabulous Mana costumes ^^) So yeah, I'm a fan ^^

Quote:
Originally posted by Quies
I want to MAIME who ever came up with highschool, Ap calsses, and...ya, marching band too.
OMG, I know exactly what you mean Quies, I'm in the exact same boat as you....but I've got IB classes too ^^;;;

"Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to continually be part of unanimity."
-Christopher Morley
kyuuketsuki is offline   Reply With Quote