Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 11-22-2006, 07:59 PM   #1
anduin
Sunk the Boat

Starting camera?

I'm looking for cameras for Cosplay photography. I need a camera that's not too expensive, but not too cheap (you know, a good camera that's in a 200-500$ price range) that would be good for a new photographer. I've taken a few lessons, and I've got enough knowledge to get started, but I have no idea what kind of cameras would be good. It would be for both indoor and out, but mainly outdoors. Good long battery power, easily transported, and durable (I'm not the most graceful of humans. :])

If you have any suggestions, or if you have any stores in mind that might be able to help me, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Unread 11-22-2006, 08:01 PM   #2
shiro_hikaru

depends highly what you're looking at doing? digital? film? slr? automatic?
shiro_hikaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2006, 08:09 PM   #3
anduin
Sunk the Boat

Suppose that would be a big part of it. Digital, perferably. I've heard from various people that digital is not the best type, but I do know that alot of the best photographers use digital cameras. I know that I wouldn't use film, though.
Unread 11-22-2006, 08:46 PM   #4
sting57
Photographer

You may also want to consider if you want a point and shoot or an entry level SLR. With the introduction of the Nikon D40, you can get really good deals on the Nikon D50 at the moment, though a SLR will be pushing your budget. One area in which SLRs particularly excel over point and shoot is high ISO/low light photography, but since you said you would be doing mostly outdoor shooting, it might not be as important to you.

We would really need more information on the kind of photography you plan to do, and what functions and/or requirements you seek. For example, do you want an ultra compact camera that you can take anywhere with you, or would you want a larger camera with a 12x zoom?

Let us know so we can help you better!

Abb
sting57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2006, 09:39 PM   #5
Usachan
cosplay dreams come true

Another idea for starting camera is to a disposible camera. Of course,
if you want to take digital pictures that's fine too. I just noticed that
nowadays when you get a disposible camera, it comes with a disc and
you can make modifications and correct red-eye and make banners etc.

It was the starting camera I used for my cons and I continue to keep
using, although one day I will probably switch to digital camera or get
a camcorder. I hope that whatever you use or try it works well for you.
Usachan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2006, 10:08 PM   #6
Spetsnaz
Praying Mantis Solution

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7.

GREAT Camera for the price.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/pa...ew/index.shtml
Ohayocon 2011
  • Ghost: Modern Warfare 2.
  • Random riot gear crap for the hell of it.
  • Snowtrooper, Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back.
Spetsnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2006, 11:24 AM   #7
jtnishi
CREEPY PHOTOGRAPHER #1146

Quote:
Originally Posted by anduin
I'm looking for cameras for Cosplay photography. I need a camera that's not too expensive, but not too cheap (you know, a good camera that's in a 200-500$ price range) that would be good for a new photographer. I've taken a few lessons, and I've got enough knowledge to get started, but I have no idea what kind of cameras would be good. It would be for both indoor and out, but mainly outdoors. Good long battery power, easily transported, and durable (I'm not the most graceful of humans. :])

If you have any suggestions, or if you have any stores in mind that might be able to help me, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
First off, the sticky thread at the top is for exactly these topics. So you might want to ask there instead of in a new thread. That said, there are a massive number of cameras that satisfy your requirements, so you probably ought to consider narrowing down your choices by looking at potential other features. Let it be known that for most shots, cosplay photography is not particularly demanding of a camera in terms of features, so you might want to consider the extreme uses to help limit your choices.

Want to be able to take shots from further away? Limit your camera choices to those with large optical zooms. Wanna take shots at night? Look at cameras with better sensitivity (ISO) settings, larger sensors, but most importantly image stabilization if you can. Want to angle your shots from strange angles without angling yourself similarly? Look for digital cameras with a flip screen. And so on.
Unread 11-23-2006, 11:43 AM   #8
anduin
Sunk the Boat

Thank you so much, septsnaz! That was exactly what I needed! I looked through the review, and it looks great. i'll remember everyone's input but I'm pretty sure I've found a good camera. Thank you!
Unread 11-23-2006, 03:02 PM   #9
staereo
Little fish ISO big pond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtnishi
First off, the sticky thread at the top is for exactly these topics. That said, there are a massive number of cameras........... And so on.
Everything Jason said.