Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 05-09-2015, 09:59 PM   #1
matchia

Carrying vendor merch around con

I'm curious as to where you guys store them while at con?

Especially large prints, which seem to either get crushed or not even fit in my purse. I've always had issues with this, mainly because I don't like the idea of wearing a backpack when in cosplay and the vendors never seem to give out bags, leaving me having to hold a stack of prints around the con and hoping I don't leave it somewhere and forget it. ;_;

I understand it's not a huge deal, but it's very inconvenient.
matchia is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-10-2015, 01:13 AM   #2
Synaster

You can always make a bag that matches your character and customize it to hold your prints without getting crushed.

Otherwise, you have several other options: bring them back to your hotel room, put them in your car (or whoever's car you came in), or have a trusted friend hold them for you.
Synaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2015, 01:19 AM   #3
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Well since you asked a "what do you guys do" question, I can answer that part at least..I won't be that much help on if you aren't in the same position as me though..

I am a very punctual person at convention. By this I mean I plan out almost every hour of my con time and what I'm going to do. I will have this list, and use the not listed hours to do my shopping. There's an equal chance of any given item to be in the venders hall, so it doesn't matter if I go at noon friday, or 3pm saturday or whatever. The reason I'm saying this though, is becasue within this tie I make sure to give myself ample time to go back to the hotel and drop my stuff off (usually giving myself a good hour to open stuff and check out my toys and keychains and whatever, I don't normally buy art).

Here's where i may not be any help..If you don't have a hotel room, or a car within short walking distance, it makes tit very hard. Because figures and anime box sets take up a crap ton of space and you canly carry so much. So while I second the "get a bag that sorta matches your character" thing, that doesn't always hold all your stuff.
-Peach (Super Smash bros 3DS)
-Gohan (DBZ, Cell Saga, Either SSJ1 or SSJ2)
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2015, 02:17 AM   #4
seiryuux
Cosplay Chameleon

My backpack has a slot for a laptop so I can wrap posters and put them in there.

Other than that, I can also use my Junior batzooka as a poster holder.

Facebook
Fanfiction.net - Persona 3 Portable: Where No Persona Has Gone Before
seiryuux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2015, 02:43 AM   #5
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

I usually stay in hotels. When we're all checked in, I claim a drawer for my street clothes, underwear, and makeup and this is also where my merch goes. If I buy a print, I put it at the bottom of that drawer. The plastic sleeve that most artists give out will protect it from makeup but if they didn't have any sleeves, lay a t-shirt or something under your makeup. When it's time to leave, I pack the print carefully flat over my clothes in my suitcase. If you drove there, I would put it in the car immediately

If none of these solutions work, save print/merch buying for a day when you're not in cosplay and you can bring a larger bag. I typically don't cosplay on the last day of cons and save most of my shopping for that day.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2015, 04:35 AM   #6
Syon

If its a convention that I attend more than one day, one day is always my shopping day. I either wear a costume that lets me carry a bag or I go in normal clothes. Not wearing a complex costume also has the advantage, that I can browse the vendors without being stopped all the time for pictures and I also have a much better chance of squeezing throw crowded areas, which would be impossible in costume or would put my props in danger of getting damaged.
Unread 05-11-2015, 10:51 AM   #7
KittytheSheGeek
Geek Extraordinaire

If I'm not saying at a nearby hotel, I usually save most of my shopping for either Sunday, or a day when I am wearing an easy cosplay so it's not so much of a burden. But usually any big purchases like large prints I just wait until the last day.

[C|O|S|P|L|A|Y]
My anti-drug.
KittytheSheGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2015, 10:58 AM   #8
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

It can get annoying to carry prints around, i agree, they don't always fit in a backpack and the bags rarely have handles. If possible I'll take them back to my hotel room or car right away, but that's not the case at every con I go to (several I live close enough to not need a hotel room, and I don't own a car, so the only ones I drive to are two I attend in my bf's town, as he can borrow a car from his parents). If I don't have that option and they don't safely fit in my or my boyfriend's bag, I do my print shopping on either friday, where I either wear a casual cosplay or don't cosplay and can thus carry more stuff, or wait until the last day as the day is shorter for carrying them around. Likewise, I often try and get a larger shopping bag from another vendor (or put the prints in with my big item) if I can that can fit everything so I can worry less.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2015, 11:13 AM   #9
IZUNAGI
Sister Complex

I'm going to a con in two weeks and I just prioritize cosplaying over shopping. What I usually do is browse the vendor area if possible to survey what I'd want. Just like everyone is saying, it'll help to have a hotel or a car you can stash things in.

I'm currently thinking about what size bag I'll need just to carry some essentials...Just in everyday life I don't like carrying a lot unless it's necessary (ie. gaming laptop for a super boring occasion or waiting for someone). I have a small range bag that is small enough to carry little things, if I think I'll be grabbing flyers or books, I have a backpack or a shoulder bag. I don't mind carrying a backpack if I can get rid of it later.

If you really want to avoid carrying a back just consider what vendors have that you can just order online. Not to discredit vendors, but sometimes it seems it's overpriced in there anyway and is not exactly some rare stuff. Just plan things out.

Once I had nothing and had to carry rolled up posters which kind of bent them. If you know for sure you're going to have posters/art get a poster tube in advance?

Yu Narukami Remixed - 90%
Soma Schicksal - TBA

Coming Soon...
MGS Rising Raiden
GI JOE Shirtless Stormshadow
Deadman Wonderland Shirtless Kiyomasa Senji "Crow"

FB: https://www.facebook.com/Izunagi
Insta: oremitsu

Last edited by IZUNAGI : 05-11-2015 at 11:16 AM.
IZUNAGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2015, 11:45 AM   #10
Tiffany_Park

Venders will generally hold merchandise for you if you've purchased it. I've found they will even hold it overnight if I don't make it back to their booth before the vending hall closes. This way I don't need to worry if something might get sold out before I get back to their booth at the end of the day. I ask if they'll hold it after I've bought it (I've never heard "no") until I get back. They always warn me to be sure to get back before the hall closes, but usually say if I don't get back in time that I can pick it up the next day. (Obviously, this last part doesn't work on the last day of the con.)

Make sure to mark it with a note with your name and cell number. It makes ID later easier, though they usually remember me. Only once in all my years of doing this has there been a mix-up (even with the items marked), and that wasn't at a con, but the local Highland Games.

Venders don't like holding anything that you haven't purchased, so be polite and pay first. (I've been told that some people ask for something to be held, don't buy it, and then never come back. Don't be one of those people.)

Last edited by Tiffany_Park : 05-11-2015 at 12:35 PM.
Tiffany_Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2015, 01:23 PM   #11
ilafatyu
That guy

I don't buy prints or anything large, usually just jewelry or other small things. I wear everything I buy, regardless of cosplay. One time I went a little crazy in the AA and ended up looking like the king of bling with all my necklaces and bracelets.

When I'm in the AA, my group has paper bags for our products. That way nobody has to carry around a thing for hours hoping not to drop it or crush it in a pocket or whatever.

facebook page // nh/mass cosplay events
Next event: Otakuten Ball+Dance

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 5%
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - 2%
ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2015, 04:06 PM   #12
lemuries

My husband likes to buy big art posters at Dragoncon, so I made us a portfolio to carry things back to the hotel room safely through the crowds.
I bought two "display boards" (like for science fairs) and taped them together at the bottom, facing each other. Then I made strap handles and taped them so they slung under the joint and up the sides so I could carry it without having to clench the boards in my fingers (tendinitis won't put up with that for long). I finished it with two pairs of laces on either side of the opening, so posters can't slide out if I tip it on its side to get through a tight crowd easier.
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2015, 04:09 PM   #13
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilafatyu View Post
I don't buy prints or anything large, usually just jewelry or other small things. I wear everything I buy, regardless of cosplay. One time I went a little crazy in the AA and ended up looking like the king of bling with all my necklaces and bracelets.

When I'm in the AA, my group has paper bags for our products. That way nobody has to carry around a thing for hours hoping not to drop it or crush it in a pocket or whatever.
My own table has nice handled paper bags that can hold a decent amount of stuff (largest thing it's had to hold is my Gunter plushies, though, and it had plenty of space to spare). I got many pleased customers with that.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2015, 08:19 PM   #14
AkiJudaichan

I carry a large bag around convention. I really do not care whether it matches the cosplay or not. I just put it down for pictures.
AkiJudaichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2015, 09:55 PM   #15
Ashton_Anchors
Queen of the abyss

I haven't had any issues with larger prints--I just hold them away from my body, on the outside of my stuff. Or have my brother carry them (he usually doesn't have anything big on his person). But then again, maybe the ones I've bought could be considered more or less large prints on the small end, or medium prints. I've never bought any truly poster sized ones, or even ones the size of those laminated posters you see periodically.

I think the one time I bought a big poster, the vendor rolled it up and put a rubber band around it. And nothing happened. But that was a poster. If I did buy a super big print from an artist or something, I think I'd stick it in the biggest bag I had, such as one from a stand that had artbooks or Goodsmile or something.
Friday and Saturday, at Acen: Going as Lisbeth from Sword Art Online. I'm about 85% done now. I only need to make the neck ribbon, the arrows on her sleeves, and style the wig (which is basically pre styled. I just need to part it and cut a tiny piece). About another afternoon or so left.
Ashton_Anchors is offline   Reply With Quote