Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 08-18-2014, 05:13 PM   #1
Hawkadium

Special Privileges?

Hey there,
Have you ever received special privileges at a con or not, because of your cosplay? I don't mean extra attention from men/women but backstage access, meeting certain people, free invites, etc... If so, please share!

Unread 08-18-2014, 07:02 PM   #2
Elycium
Applique ate my soul

I don't think this is a thing that really happens all that much, at least not with general cosplayers on the con floor. At most, I think people might be pulled into private photoshoots, perhaps, but like... not into big name events / parties / etc.
Unread 08-18-2014, 07:55 PM   #3
Venatrix

Closest I had... I was dressed as Bittersweet Lulu and had gotten a Riot Lulu cupcake from another con goer which he got when they were being thrown into the crowd at an LCS match. I then, unfortunately, lost it when it fell out of my pocket (and felt /terrible/ since it was gifted in the first place).
Feeling terrible, I asked a Rioter if I could by chance get a new one only because it matched my costume. Which she gave to me.

It's not anything big, but I'm pretty sure the only reason I got it was because of being dressed as the corresponding character/skin. And it meant a lot to me.
Venatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
Khorrupt

Other than just attention, not really. There's one con where I would say I get "special privileges", and though the con staff compliment me, I would say that said special privileges are less to do with cosplay and more to do with my cosplay group being affiliated with the convention. We got to meet the guests before everyone else (the con technically had to "started" yet) but it wasn't like "WOW WHAT AN HONOUR" because I didn't even know who they were.

I guess you could also say that when I'm wearing costumes like Ryuk where it's obviously sort of difficult to see, people tend to hold the door open for me more frequently, if that counts XD

~2014 Cosplay~
~W.A. Mozart [ Place Je Passe ] (Mozart l'Opera Rock) - FINISHED
~Silkie [ Kigurumi ] (Teen Titans) - FINISHED
~Ryuk (Death Note) - FINISHED
~Elsa [ Ice Dress ] (Frozen) - FINISHED
~Regency TARDIS (Doctor Who) - FINISHED
~The Winter Soldier (CA: TWS) - 15% complete
~Princess Peach (Super Mario Bros.) - 0% complete
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 08:27 PM   #5
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

You don't get special privileges out of cosplay at a convention. You have to make the right connections so you can get them.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime LA
2015 Anime Expo

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Hero's Shade: base patterns done. 5% complete.
Future Cosplay plans:
Jedi Link 3.0
Mewtwo
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 08:31 PM   #6
Amaya
Ovarian Cancer Survivor

The only thing I've had happen was i was in the dealer's room checking out some Megaman D-Arts figures. During this time I was cosplaying Megaman. The seller came up to me to ask me about my costume and telling me just how much he loved it. So I asked him, "Since I'm dressed up as Megaman, could I have a discount on this figurine?"

He said yes

Please check out my Facebook page!
https://www.facebook.com/nightraincosplay

Cinncinnati Comic Con

Megaman/Bass Crossover (Megaman Battle Network)-0%
Asuka Plugsuit (Evangelion 3.33)- 100%
Black Widow (The Avengers)- 100%
Baby Doll (Sucker Punch)- 60%
Amaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 09:01 PM   #7
ghosgreen

Me personally not really but like Amaya I have a friend that had something similar happen. He was at SDCC dressed as Zartan based on the Sideshow Collectables figure. He visited their booth and asked if they had it and unfortunately they didn't have it. So long story short the following day he's wearing Zartan again turns out they got someone to bring down a Zartan figure just for him and gave it to him because his costume looked that good. That was so cool and I got to help make it....one of my proudest moments as a costumer...right sorry. Other than that yeah not really so much.
ghosgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 09:34 PM   #8
Eldi
Sneak thief

Once somebody gave me a coupon for Panda Express.
Spellthief Lux- League of Legends

Cosplays in Progress:
Rose Quartz- Steven Universe
Elin Sorcerer- Tera

Last edited by Eldi : 08-18-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Eldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 09:39 PM   #9
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

Never had any special privileges thanks to cosplay.

Currently working on:
Momoko Koigakubo -- Ghost Stories (Dub)
Scarlett O'Hara Drapery Dress -- Gone With the Wind
Deandra -- MPGiS
Anna Cornonation Dress -- Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen -- OFF
Princess Suwa -- Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

My favorite cosplays:
Brittnay Matthews -- MPGiS
Mom Lalonde -- Homestuck
Princess Kenny -- South Park

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
EvilLittleKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 11:00 PM   #10
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

A free photoshoot because the photog liked my costume so much. That's all I can think of.

(And yes, most of the time it's more "Who you meet" than "What you're dressed as". A few of my friends, with others, have started running their own convention, and that often gets me invited to their room party. And likewise, they've met a lot of the "big" organizers, photogs, cosplayers, etc. of the area as a result and I've been able to do the same. Woohoo, connections.)
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 08-19-2014 at 07:35 PM.
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 11:15 PM   #11
Reily96
Kimono Junkie

Erm, one time I got a free button and little tiny figurine. But like, a tiny, cheap grab bag figurine (not to devalue it, I love it and it was a gift). The key to special privileges is just knowing people who know other people. Sometimes cosplay gives you access to meet those people, but really it has very little to do with it. >.>
Kamiya Kaoru (Rurouni Kenshin) - 15%
Gakuko, Shanghai Disco ver. (Vocaloid) - 70%

For the Future:
Smaug - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen
Reily96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2014, 12:03 AM   #12
Unaki

My Thresh got a lot of attention from Rioters at Momocon. Ended up making a few friends in Riot.
Unaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2014, 12:14 AM   #13
Kitsuko

Aside from attention from voice actors/writers not really. But the attention is definitely worth it for me as I don't really want special treatment if I can help it. I once got led to the front of an autograph line by Greg and Chris Ayres just so they could get a quick photo with me before starting on autographs while I was in my Kagura Tennouzu cosplay from Speed Grapher. They were super nice. And then in my Tiny Tina from Borderlands 2 cosplay I was exiting a panel hosted by some of the voices and Anthony Burch, the writer of the second game, and I looked up and Anthony was motioning towards me for a picture. It made my weekend. ;u; I also got a picture with his sister and the voice of Tiny Tina and they were both super awesome.
Kitsuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2014, 12:33 AM   #14
Shirayuki~Chan

when I cosplayed Katara, I got like 2 Katara stickers from the artist alley and a really awesome Lost Appa poster from one of the venders for free! So that was super awesome and sweet and lovely! Does that count?

Cosplays:
Daenerys Targaryen- Game of Thrones
Blackfire- Teen Titans
Tharja- Fire Emblem: Awakening
Opal Beifong- Legend of Korra

Shirayuki~Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2014, 01:03 AM   #15
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

When I cosplayed Minato from Persona 3 (I was the only one at this con cosplaying him), I was in the Artist Alley walking around and this artist and her friend sharing a table screamed to me because she said that's her favorite game and character ever, and she gave me a bookmark she was selling, for free, that was of the same character. Then gave me the same character in pin form for free to. Then when I told her I wanted to buy all her persona 3 merch (one of each) she said she only had 2 book marks and 2 bottons..One of which I already now had..So I bought the other character and she gave me them half priced.

That's really about it though..
I would rather not get special treatment..I mean it's nice and all, but coming from a person that has also sold things in the Artist Alley, I wouldn't give anything for free (outside of stuff we specifically had free that wasn't allowed to be "sold" because we didn't draw them) or even discount..Even my friends..They know it..It's a business, the best way for a business to go under is to keep giving crap away..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Alice (Hearts no Kuni no Alice)
-Black&Blue Loli-style Dark Magical Girl O.C.
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote