Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 07-22-2015, 10:47 PM   #1
AuraLucario7

Any suggestions on finding cosplay friends?

I am having some difficulty finding cosplay friends in my area, specifically in the Chicagoland area. I've tried to talk to a few people, but haven't had much luck. I'm extremely shy, have bad anxiety, and just some other stuff that makes it a lot more difficult than it should be. Usually when I'm alone at cons I sometimes just breakdown. I even skipped my latest convention for said reason. I also am having trouble finding places where I can meet people. It kind of upsets me that I can't find more friends who cosplay. Any suggestions how to go about trying to meet other people who cosplay?

Anime Central 2015
Anime Midwest 2015

Planned 2015 Cosplays

Angel Stocking (Panty & Stocking w/ Garterbelt)
Gohan (Dragon Ball Z: Revival of F)
many some more if I'm feeling ambitious
AuraLucario7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-23-2015, 12:19 AM   #2
CS3
wannabe world traveler

I don't have any Arizona people to do conventions with so I skip out on the conventions here and go to a convention in another state where I do have some people. I'm shy/people anxiety so it's like you're on the outside looking in at an event everyone is usually the same.
CS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2015, 03:39 AM   #3
Syon

Don't worry. As a recent thread here has shown most people have and had trouble making cosplay friends, even if they weren't shy or had anxiety.
Unread 07-23-2015, 07:39 AM   #4
no-limit
There are No-Limits

I make friends by doing what I do best, cosplaying- its a great conversation point and it creates a few friendships through conversation.
In expos series meetups and similar things are great to meet new people and the meets are full of people happy to meet new people.

My other tactic is looking at cospages of cosplayers attending the same events as you, who knows you might find a series you both cosplay from leading to collaborations at the event (this has happened once or twice for me)

Best advise I can give however is; don't be afraid- I know its hard but you can do it <3 remember whats the worst that can happen?

No-Limit-Cosplay, facebook: www.facebook.com/No-Limit-Cosplay
No-Limit-Cosplay on youtube and No-Limit-Cosplay on deviantart

My work? My plans? Come find: www.facebook.com/No-Limit-Cosplay
NOTE. My Cosplay.com doesnt have all my costumes....im not sure anywhere does, theres 58 and counting!

Come tweet me! https://twitter.com/sophiyami
no-limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2015, 09:45 AM   #5
ilafatyu
That guy

Hey, you're the other Piko cosplayer. Hi, other Piko cosplayer!

I suggest small gatherings at conventions. It's not so much of a crowd, so it's not too overwhelming with a hundred people around you. You can find them on the FB page for conventions, usually. The thing to look out for is something with open invitations-- Some people have 'gatherings' and only invite their friends. It's really awkward to walk in on when everyone already knows each other, but if everyone's a stranger, it's easy. Backward logic?

facebook page // nh/mass cosplay events
Next event: In-CON-Ceivable

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Umbreon (Pokemon gijinka) - Constructing
Gaius (Fire Emblem: Awakening) - Buying stuff
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - Planning
Soren (Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn) - Constructing
ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2015, 01:35 PM   #6
ChibiDannimon

Im in the same boat myself. It seems i can meet people at cons but outside of conventions, its as if I dont even exist.

2015 Cosplays

Officially Retiring from Cosplaying due to lack of cons.
ChibiDannimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2015, 07:07 PM   #7
FreckledMango
One hell of a cat lover

Not sure if this helps, but...
I'm a very socially awkward person myself, so I found two ways of making cosplay friends that worked well for me. One was that I just posted in the Seeking Cosplayers forum, asking if there were any cosplayers in my area. I just kind of got to know a coupe of people over private chat in my general area, and also on Facebook. I met one of my best friends on here, so although a strange method, it can work for sure Also, I'm not sure about your specific shyness/anxiety level, but I found with mine, it was easier to get to know a person online before meeting them in real life. Just helped lessen the awkwardness and fear in a way Also, although I don't see all my online cosplay friends regularly throughout the year, they also go to cons and I can meet up with them there easily. Being quite well acquainted with a person helps make the real life gathering less awkward.

Another thing is maybe seeing if you have friends who might be interested in cosplay. Usually it's the nerdy/geeky friends who'd be totally down with dressing up as characters from their favourite fandoms. Two of my best long-term friends now cosplay (one discovered it on her own, the other I introduced cosplay to her), and it's great Because I already knew them, it was less of finding a cosplayer to be friends with, and more of a friend to cosplay with. You've already got the trickiest part down.
Both of these are more pre-con friendship making tips...

Hope this helps a little xD

In progress:
Rin Matsuoka (Free!) - 60%
Cleaning Levi (SnK) - 68%
Light Yagami (Death Note) - 87%
L (Death Note) - 94%
Shizuo Heiwajima (Durarara!!) - 90%
Kakashi (Naruto) - 30%
Prince Gumball (Adventure Time) - 98%
Steve Rogers (Avengers/Captain America) - 63%
Barista Marco (SnK) - 97%
Fancy Marco (SnK) - 99%
FreckledMango is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2015, 01:48 PM   #8
AuraLucario7

Regarding the level of stress and anxiety, it can be very overwhelming. I don't want to play arm chair psychologist, but I have certain issues that make it more difficult than most people. I have tried to talk to a fair amount of people in my area, so there are people, just nothing has come from it. I don't know if I am doing something wrong, but it is starting to deter me a bit. I also have a really bad habit of ruminating about stuff which just works me up even more. Thankfully I did manage to get one friend into cosplay and have a lot of fun when I'm with her, I just don't get to see her much. I have been going to cons and cosplaying for about four years now and each time I have some kind of anxiety. I get a lot less anxious when I'm with someone. Though I am always really nervous about talking to someone I don't know. It was to a point though to where I skipped out on a con recent for said recently. When I get the guts to someone online, I get anxious to if they are even going to reply, if they are even going to want to talk to me, if I accidentally do something to drive then away, etc. I dunno. I am probably putting too much emphasis on it and ruminating about it. Like I said, it's just a bad habit of mine. Sometimes it makes me question doing cosplay, because it sometimes brings about unnecessary stress. I mean I don't want to quit, but I question it in terms of if I can't enjoy it as much as I want to should I continue to do it?

Anime Central 2015
Anime Midwest 2015

Planned 2015 Cosplays

Angel Stocking (Panty & Stocking w/ Garterbelt)
Gohan (Dragon Ball Z: Revival of F)
many some more if I'm feeling ambitious

Last edited by AuraLucario7 : 07-24-2015 at 01:53 PM.
AuraLucario7 is offline   Reply With Quote