Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 02-15-2015, 12:37 AM   #1
sevenhelpings

Convention Cosplay Etiquette

I'm kind of a convention newbie. I've only been to a few and they were about 6 years ago, I think? Anyway!

Is it bad form to cosplay a character that has nothing to do with the "theme" of a convention? Like cosplaying Disney at Comic Con or cosplaying Anime at D23? My friend is draaaaagging me to a Doctor Who convention (never seen the show >u<) and wants to cosplay Guardians of the Galaxy, lol. So I'm just wondering if I should prepare myself for some looks : D;;

Last edited by sevenhelpings : 02-15-2015 at 12:40 AM.
sevenhelpings is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-15-2015, 12:50 AM   #2
TitanSlayer000
Eh

There was a thread about this just recently. There's really no rules to cosplaying unless you're entering a contest.
Unread 02-15-2015, 01:27 AM   #3
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

I've also answer this question many times on here.

Mmk here's how cosplaying at any con works:
Go as whatever the heck you want!!

So now onto my real reply lol
So a Doctor Who convention does NOT mean "You MUST cosplay DW or you can not cosplay!!" It means the events and merch are going to be mostly DW themed. The style of convention does not mean what you are allowed to cosplay.
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts II)
-Chandelure (Pokemon)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)
-Spirit (Soul Eater)
Jei-Cos is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2015, 05:32 AM   #4
Alois_Ciel

Smile

As previously said there are no rules to cosplaying but there are a few things that you should try to avoid
Simple things really like asking for hugs and photo's, not touching others props without permission, always listen to the con staff, keep out of the corridor for taking photos and have fun mainly. If you are polite you will get on well at a con and as for cosplayingjust cosplay who you are comfortable cosplaying peoplecosplay anything to any kimd of con so it doesn't matter if it is themed
Alois_Ciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2015, 08:58 AM   #5
Dreamerwolf

I think that would be great. Get some cool pics of The Doctor(s) encountering Star Lord (Or whomever you're cosplaying) I'm sure others will find it fun. Crossovers are cool!
-Doctor Who: Femme 11/Femme 4
-'Furry' Tardis, as a cat
-Sarah Jane Smith (SJA)
The Walking Dead - Maggie

Working on:

-Lion-O (Female variant)
Dreamerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2015, 12:42 PM   #6
MissBeckyRae
Welcome to My World...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jei-Cos View Post

So now onto my real reply lol
So a Doctor Who convention does NOT mean "You MUST cosplay DW or you can not cosplay!!" It means the events and merch are going to be mostly DW themed. The style of convention does not mean what you are allowed to cosplay.
Here here.

Where I live, there are several anime conventions, but that doesn't mean that it's strictly limited to anime cosplays (unless you intend on entering the contests). People show up all the time from western animation, western TV shows, etc. In fact, at the last NDK, I saw a guy dressed up as the Nostalgia Critic, so with cosplay, let your imagination go wild! (Well, and obey the dress code too. It's bad if you break the dress code as laid out by your con).
Fem!France (Hetalia)

In Progress:
Rarity (My Little Pony): 50%
Marie Kanker (Ed, Edd, N Eddy): 75%

All my cosplay/randomness goes here:
http://americandreamgirl98.deviantart.com/

I published a book. Come check it out!
http://www.amazon.com/Serendipity-10...erendipity+101
MissBeckyRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2015, 01:13 PM   #7
Eldi
Jelly Sausage

That is absolutely fine- every convention with every theme/genre has lots of cosplayers from other themes/genres. The themes mostly have to do with the kinds of events/attractions the con will have. I think you will get a great response to guardians of the galaxy wherever you go!
Spellthief Lux- League of Legends
Alice in Wonderland

Cosplays in Progress:
Mirai Kuriyama- Beyond the Boundary
Rose Quartz- Steven Universe
Cocoa- Is the Order a Rabbit?
Aikawa Shokora- Chocolat no Mahou
Eldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2015, 03:19 PM   #8
Jigouku Chou
Survival Horror Addict

I only ever go to anime conventions, but no one ever just cosplays anime there. You see doctor who, comic book characters, disney, all sorts of different things. Really I think any cosplay you do will be appreciated, so I don't think you have to worry.

There are no rules to cosplaying, however it pays to be polite. People don't appreciate the congoers who are loud, messy and rude. Just mind your manners and you should be fine. Ask before you take pictures, don't bug cosplayers who are in the middle of something, no touching anyone without their permission, and be mindful of the people around you. Do all that and you'll be golden.
Kingdom Hearts: Xion

NDK 2015:
Rose of Versailles: Oscar Francois de Jarjeyes
Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt: Panty
Jigouku Chou is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2015, 08:35 PM   #9
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Well now...

It depends on WHICH Dr. Who con. Gallifrey this past weekend? Probably would let a lot of things slide and nobody cares. Chicago Tardis? You would get hella side-eyed for wearing anything not Dr. Who.

Single-fandom conventions are not the same as asking whether you can wear non-anime costumes at an anime convention. Some of them are chill, but some of them you would look and feel VERY out of place in something not from the show/movie. A lot of it depends on location, size of the convention, and length of time the con has been around. Some older single-fandom cons are very set in their ways, and some of the smaller ones for just one show (e.g. Supernatural) are so small that you would feel weird being in an unrelated costume.

So I'm not saying no, I'm saying check with someone who's been to that convention before and can tell you what they've seen people wearing. Whether Star Wars Celebration or Starbase Indy or Gallifrey or Discworld or an MLP con, you're looking at a gathering of fans of a single series or movie, and sometimes those gatherings can have a VERY different vibe from an all-genre con, comic con, or anime con.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2015, 01:07 AM   #10
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

Generic cons like anime, sci-fi, gaming, comics, etc. are usually very diverse in the cosplays. You'll see basically anything and everything at those kind. A con that's a single-fandom kind may be more strict on what fandom cosplays are allowed.

Just check your con's rules. Usually general con cosplay rules are just limited to what props you can bring (i.e. no live steel, no props more than X feet/inches long, no ammo in guns, all guns must have an orange tip, that kind of thing) and how revealing your outfit can be. (However, contest rules will be more strict, but only apply if you're entering the contest.)

The only con etiquette advice I have is: (Most of it is common sense, but people still forget it...)

~Be nice.
~Always ask permission before taking anyone's picture, or handling any prop or cosplay part.
~If you have a large cosplay/prop, be mindful about not blocking hallways/doors/people's view at panels.
~Have good hygiene and take care of yourself. (Yes, people forget to shower, eat/drink, sleep, etc. at cons.)
~Remember that celeb guests and cosplayers are real people, not the characters they portray. (People *actually* forget this. Basically, don't be creepy to a cosplayer of a character you have a crush on, don't bitch out a cosplayer of a character you don't like, etc.)

Benny Gecko: Fallout: New Vegas
Momoko Koigakubo: Ghost Stories (Dub)
Mercenary!Brittnay: MPGiS
Saison Marguerite: MPGiS
Malory Archer: Archer
Deandra: MPGiS
Kamala Khan: Ms. Marvel
Anna Cornonation Dress: Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen: OFF
Princess Suwa: Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
Sewing blog: http://www.annikakisskisses.blogspot.com
EvilLittleKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2015, 04:07 PM   #11
Scunosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post
Well now...

It depends on WHICH Dr. Who con. Gallifrey this past weekend? Probably would let a lot of things slide and nobody cares. Chicago Tardis? You would get hella side-eyed for wearing anything not Dr. Who.

Single-fandom conventions are not the same as asking whether you can wear non-anime costumes at an anime convention. Some of them are chill, but some of them you would look and feel VERY out of place in something not from the show/movie. A lot of it depends on location, size of the convention, and length of time the con has been around. Some older single-fandom cons are very set in their ways, and some of the smaller ones for just one show (e.g. Supernatural) are so small that you would feel weird being in an unrelated costume.

So I'm not saying no, I'm saying check with someone who's been to that convention before and can tell you what they've seen people wearing. Whether Star Wars Celebration or Starbase Indy or Gallifrey or Discworld or an MLP con, you're looking at a gathering of fans of a single series or movie, and sometimes those gatherings can have a VERY different vibe from an all-genre con, comic con, or anime con.
I would have to agree with this, which kind of ignores the "cosplay what you want" general rule. While that usually is true, for very specific events you will want to fit into their expectations. Sakuracon and PAX you'll see anything and everything cosplayed. The Doctor Who event at the EMP (not a con but it was a special gathering that was also in Seattle)? You would look very out of place and almost you could say inappropriate dressing as something not Doctor Who related.

The good thing about most fandoms is they can be stretches, and this is especially true with Doctor Who and his timey-wimey ways. But I would also recommend talking to either your friend or other people who have been in the past to see what the general cosplay vibe is. Or if you can't get ahold of anyone, take a look at the con's website or see if you can find pictures from past years. You may be able to get an idea based on how precise or broad their panels and entertainment are set to be. If it's nothing but nitty-gritty panels about the details of the fandom, you may just want to skip cosplaying rather than show up in something not Doctor Who.
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2015, 05:47 AM   #12
kuroi_shi
Nerd Girl

It depends on the convention I think.. A Dr. Who convention has a very specific theme, personally, I'd stick with it.. No one will kick you out for wearing a guardians of the galaxy costume, but you might get dirty looks from fans who think you're being a jerk. (That's how I feel when Darth Vader shows up at Star Trek conventions anyway).... Conventions with more broad themes, like comics, Sci-fi, or anime, go as whatever you want.

Last edited by kuroi_shi : 02-21-2015 at 05:50 AM.
kuroi_shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2015, 01:50 PM   #13
Sokmunki
One hell of a cat lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroi_shi View Post
(That's how I feel when Darth Vader shows up at Star Trek conventions anyway)....
Woah there Satin... Haha just kidding :P But I think the generations-long friction between the two fandoms has more to do with that than being out of place :P

In progress:

Sebastian Michaelis - 40%
Spock - 60%

Complete:

Nishiki from Tokyo Ghoul
Tintin
Belphagor from KHR
11th Doctor
Jack Frost
Sherlock (BBC)
Sokmunki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2015, 11:21 AM   #14
Ron Jr

I recently went to a horror con as Vader. It was the reveal version and it was highly accepted mostly because of the make up work. Now would I wear Vader to a Dr. Who con? Nope. But I would to a Star Trek con just to piss off the Trek fan boys/girls.
Ron Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2015, 12:05 AM   #15
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

Definitely gonna have to agree with looking at the con website and photo to gauge how varied the cosplays are at the convention. If you see a variety of characters that aren't Doctor Who related, then I'd say go for it. But if it seems like it is mostly Doctor Who characters, then probably best to not dress up.
While there usually are no rules that actually limit the kinds of characters that you can bring to a convention, there are definitely norms and unwritten rules that are set up among the fans who attend these events. And I would say that even for conventions like Steampunk, Lolita, Pirate or etc. themed cons, showing up to those as a character outside of those cultures or genres I think is still considered a bit odd. You could maybe try doing an original design of a character outside the genre in a costume that takes on design elements from that genre, or maybe to a crossover (eg. I know of a Jack Sparrow who somehow managed to pull off a 10th Doctor and Jack Sparrow crossover, basically he wore his Jack Sparrow wig with the rest of his 10th Doctor costume, it was definitely interesting to see and he did a good job with it).

It's a pirate's life for me! Savvy?

Find me on Facebook!

SparrowStyle Entertainment on Instagram

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote