Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 05-26-2017, 03:01 PM   #1
Kat_A

Enjoying making a costume, but not cosplaying

So I cosplayed for the first time this year. I LOVED making my costume!!! Had the time of my life! But While I was at the con I didn't enjoy myself. I went as Belle in her blue village dress, and loved taking picture with kids, but found I was way to uncomfortable with the amount of adults who wanted pictures with me.... Has anyone else had this happen? I would like to keep up with costume making and learn more, but if I don't cosplay is it worth it to focus on costume making?
Kat_A is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-27-2017, 09:17 AM   #2
Mangochutney
probably a frackpants

It's absolutely worth it. You might consider commissioning.

(Also, a different costume will probably give you a different experience. Disney has sort of trained people to want to be IN the photos of Disney characters. With most other costumes it happens a lot less and people just want a picture of you.)
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Your Mother [Debbie Does Dallas XXIII] (8%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2017, 09:31 AM   #3
gypsy_girl
Fan Girl

I agree, if you like sewing/constructing commissioning may be the way to go. As far as people wanting pictures with you... I had the same thing in my summer Elsa. Not so much with con goers but with the public, especially in the harbour. I don't mind, but then I've done theatre, figure skating, and modelling. I have no problems with people taking pictures. I don't even mind if they post the pictures. It's not like they can tell who I am.

The Thing (1982)
(the missing word was 'imitation')
gypsy_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2017, 10:46 AM   #4
Tiffany_Park

The amount and kind of attention you receive really does depend on both the costume and also the makeup of the con attendees that year. It can vary a lot. One year a lot of people wanted pics of one of my costumes and many wanted to be in the pic with me, and the next year at that very same con that same costume got practically no attention. And sometimes an obscure costume that you think no one will even recognize can get people who want selfies with you. (Probably because it is old and obscure, and those people never thought they'd see it cosplayed in their lifetimes! LOL.)

With Disney princesses, though, you'll probably get those kinds of responses a lot because they are incredibly well known and popular. Everyone of all ages loves them. Belle especially because the live action Beauty and the Beast movie is still fresh in everyone's minds. A different costume from different source material may very well give you a completely different experience. All you can do is try it and see what happens.

Last edited by Tiffany_Park : 05-27-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Tiffany_Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2017, 02:05 PM   #5
SirWonderusMary
Join the Flock~

You like making costumes? Commission it. Make a career of it, or even get a friend to model them for you and enter contests in them. There's nothing wrong with not enjoying being in the costume. On that note, there's a possibility that you just chose the wrong character to wear. Disney costumes generally will get a lot of attention, so if you're not exactly keen on people asking for pictures with you, wear costumes of characters that aren't that big. I don't get much attention in my costumes, and if I do, they're generally just asking for a picture or saying that they love the costume. I think I've posed with people for 4-5 pictures in my 5 years of cosplaying
-Holiday Matsuri 2016
Cosplay List:
-Joker (Alice in the Country of Hearts)
-Klaus (Story of Seasons)
-Madoka (Madoka Magica)

SirWonderusMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2017, 06:11 PM   #6
CapsuleCorp
Future Pirate King

As others have said, the short answer is yes you can make and not wear. You may need some time to hone your craft before people will pay money for your work, but it's possible. I mean, hell, it's my full-time job.

That said, don't judge all cosplay on one costume and one convention. This doesn't happen every single time, and for some of us photographers NEVER want to be in the picture with us, they just want to photograph the costume. And, don't forget, you can say no. It may take some courage the first couple of times, but telling people "I'm sorry, I'm not comfortable having other people pose with me" is something you have every right to say and every right to expect to be understood. It doesn't make you a bitch to say so, it makes you a person with a right to feel comfortable while in your costume.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2017, 03:34 PM   #7
CFHinLA

Just jumping on the wagon here.
I'm a coscrafter but also cosplay some. I MUCH prefer making weapons and props than I do cosplaying but I think a big part of that was my first cosplay was a GIANT PAIN IN THE ASS to put on and wear all day. My point is, the cosplay as well as the con do make a difference (as everyone else said).

Basically, if it isn't fun, don't do it.
Specializing in high quality wood weapons and props
CFHinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2017, 07:40 PM   #8
KittyAngel
cute little kitty >^.^<

Talking

Agreed with the previous posts said above.

Also don't forget about saving said costumes for Halloween. I mean, if you get more of a joy with the kids having fun with said character and nothing else, Halloween is your best bet. Just dress up for them while you pass out their candy, just to see their reaction

I cosplay and personally enjoy it, but I also make some of mine solely for the little trick-or-treaters every year just to see how they react. Honestly, I got more reaction from the parents/guardians taking them around than I do the kids themselves . The parents/guardians like the fact that I dress up for the kids than anything else. Who knows, you might run into some new cosplay friends while they take the little ones out.

I've actually gotten a picture with a group of teens one Halloween when I did my Halloween Town Sora from KH2. Of course, I also nearly scared 2 kids for life when it came to passing out the candy. I literally had to bribe 1 little trick-or-treater with 5 pieces of candy to let her know that I wasn't going to hurt her

Just think about it in that respect if not anything else

Tidus from FFX-2 (Perfect ending)

DeviantArt.com
JapaneseBlossomKitty
KittyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2017, 12:05 PM   #9
DarkCloudInc
S. M. R. T. I mean...

I agree with everyone. It's almost an unspoken rule that if you're cosplaying a Disney Princess, everyone will treat you the same manner as a Disney Princess in Disneyland. This slightly applies to most Disney characters that aren't princesses.

Now, if you're going to cosplay as a mainstream Marvel or DC hero/villain, the expectations are less but you'll get very similar reactions and attention from people.

My experience with doing the obscure and others has been pretty decent, not many kids since they don't know who the heck I am.

As for myself, I enjoy cosplaying mostly to talk shop, sharing, and learning with other cosplayers. The challenges that come with each costume makes it pretty fun and exciting as I hone my craft. There's still much more to go.
Planned Cosplay 2017 - Everything all gold, woo!
Gilgamesh [Fate Series]
Kayle - The Judicator [League of Legends]
Sagitarrius Aiolis [Saint Seiya]
Genji [Overwatch - Ocre]
9S [Nier]
Geralt [Witcher 3 - Wolven]
DarkCloudInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2017, 11:57 AM   #10
Dr Tweed

Ha! My daughter is the opposite: she likes Cosplaying her characters, but hates making stuff.

So I make her costumes. '

I wonder how many Dads do that...
Unread 06-14-2017, 04:31 AM   #11
Helara
She had a foam arm.

Not everybody likes being in costume. Depending upon the costume and weather it can be uncomfortable, hot and have all kinds of issues with food, drink and visiting the toilet!

I enjoy making and being in costume but I'd happily make a costume for a friend as he can't make things to save himself so buys everything. I suggested a character for him and I'd gladly help.
Unread 06-17-2017, 08:31 PM   #12
MoonWingSamurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tweed View Post
Ha! My daughter is the opposite: she likes Cosplaying her characters, but hates making stuff.

So I make her costumes. '

I wonder how many Dads do that...
Wow, you're an awesome Dad! Happy Father's Day for taking such an active interest in your daughter's hobby!
Unread Yesterday, 05:50 PM   #13
gules
Only slightly dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAngel View Post
I literally had to bribe 1 little trick-or-treater with 5 pieces of candy to let her know that I wasn't going to hurt her
Oh my God I died laughing.

On the topic, make cosplay for your friends if you don't want the pressure of people who pay you. Get them to buy you the materials and keep you company, and watch from the sidelines as they sing your praises and people gush over your handiwork. I've definitely taken pictures of cosplayers and asked a question, only to be told that X person over there actually made them. And then we'll talk shop for a while, or I'll tell them what an amazing job they did.

And if you want to wear your cosplay but get tired of it pretty quick, consider just wearing it at smaller cons, or part of the day, or on a low-traffic day. Or Halloween, as said above! Don't forget that you can do photoshoots if you just want some pretty shots of you in your own handiwork. <3
gules is offline   Reply With Quote