Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 02-27-2015, 06:25 PM   #1
Scunosi

Smile Your Uplifting Cosplay Moments

As fun and cathartic as it is to vent and rant, I feel we could use a thread that focuses a little more on the good things that come out of cosplay. The friends, the photos, the stories. Or maybe the life skills or business that's come from it. We want to encourage people to cosplay, not scare them away after all!

So here's my first post, and it's not really a story. But recently I whipped up a design for a cosplay for a friend. It's fairly simple, based on a Pokémon that easily translates to a human outfit but what I'm feeling proud about is the fact that I quickly and naturally thought of what materials to use and how to combine them for certain looks. I'm not a master by any means, but a year ago I probably would've been left scratching my head.

Though I don't think cosplay will ever be my profession, it's grown into a hobby that I feel will really enrich my life with the skills I learn and people I can meet through it. Share some of your own stories below!
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-27-2015, 11:29 PM   #2
kuroi_shi
Nerd Girl

I started cosplaying in 1998, because I went to a convention, and thought dressing up was required. My costume sucked hardcore, but it was still fun.. Several years later, I went to fashion school, to improve my cosplay skill, and from there, I've worked in theatre, and film.. I've done wardrobe on the movie remakes for Carrie, Robocop, and Total Recall, and I've worked on the show Hannibal, and Reign.. I've also spent the past 4 years working at a place that makes mascot costumes.. All because of that one convention I was dragged to against my will back in 1998.
Unread 02-27-2015, 11:33 PM   #3
TitanSlayer000
Eh

The first time I ever competed in a legit cosplay contest I won second place. Before that I thought my costumes sucked, but then I was like "hey, I'm actually pretty okay". I almost won at my second contest and got first place at a small one after that. So I feel a bit more less worried about my cosplays being bad now that I know I'm capable of making something impressive enough to win a contest.
Unread 02-27-2015, 11:38 PM   #4
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Every time (3 now) that I've worn Sora from KH2. Technically 4 times since one was also from KH2 (from Final Mix). It was Xmas Town and I got the same kind of stuff said so it's the same..

Anyway, my recent Sora cosplay I have is the normal every day, everyone has one, KH2 normal outfit. However, I happen to also have an Ultima Weapon Keyblade..Which is very well made if I do say so my self.

I also know this becasue I get told a lot. Which is my uplifting moment (or moments lol). When I wear him I get so many compliments and people always ask how I made my Keyblade and what all I made on the cosplay and it just feels so good to hear someone tell you how amazing they think you did. I mean, this is probably quite normal for others too, but my other cosplays weren't "all out" like my Sora cosplay is..I mean, I got what I stated, working details like the shirt pocket is real and the bags are usable. But I also have correctly proportioned shoes. Which blows everyone away lol
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts II)
-Cloud (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Chandelure (Pokemon)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)
-Spirit (Soul Eater)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2015, 12:35 AM   #5
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

It's how I met the man of my dreams who I may end up spending the rest of my life with. Need I say more?

Benny Gecko: Fallout: New Vegas
Momoko Koigakubo: Ghost Stories (Dub)
Snow White -- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Princess Tiana -- Princess and the Frog
Malory Archer: Archer
Deandra: MPGiS
Kamala Khan: Ms. Marvel
Anna Cornonation Dress: Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen: OFF
Princess Suwa: Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
Sewing blog: http://www.annikakisskisses.blogspot.com
EvilLittleKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2015, 05:57 PM   #6
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

I enjoy it so much that I am firm on doing an art major now.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime LA
2015 Anime Expo

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Hero's Shade: 30% complete.
Future Cosplay plans:
Mewtwo
Jedi Link 3.0
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2015, 08:46 AM   #7
miainwonderland
Unoffical Disney Princess

I'm quite new to cosplaying even though I've always loved and wanted to do it. My first cosplay was as Anna from Frozen for a Disney event in Tokyo. I was externally nervous and anxious about my costume not being good enough and my wig falling apart, yet the best moment was when my friend and I were in a subway, in full costume, and little girl came up to us with her mother and shyly asked if she could take a picture with me. As soon as I said yes, her face just completely lit up and the rest of the time she talked to me till we reached our stop. It made me happy that I could make a little girl's day a bit brighter.
miainwonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2015, 12:47 PM   #8
division-ten
Yes, I AM an Albino

Having little kids chase you down at cons is always a good feeling
Otakon: '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14
Zenkaicon: '09
Katsucon: '10, '15
Animenext: '10, '11, '14
division-ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2015, 01:24 PM   #9
WCMorpheus

At several conventions, I've had people that worked for the event chase me down for a photo and say, "I'm not supposed to do this, and I could probably get into trouble, but I just had to get this picture." I've also had vendors leave booths unattended to chase me down and tell me the same thing.

At SDCC a few years ago, I had one of the B-list celebs chase me down for a photo in Sails Pavillion. I forgot what her name was, but she was very attractive; I think she played in the Mortal Kombat live action series years ago. That was a great feeling.

At NYCC, a girl ran up to me out of breath and said, "I saw you from all the way across the hall and ran all the way over here to get a photo with you." The sheer adulation is so flattering and there's no experience like it; it's a natural high.

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/westcoastmorpheus
WCMorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2015, 03:55 PM   #10
CosplayingFan

Uplifting moment would have to be people asking me a lot for pictures. xD It was my first con, and I felt my costume was kind of crappy compared to the other costumes around me, but there was someone who was following me through a large crowd, just to get a picture with me!

There was so many others too, I think I got asked to have a picture taken like 20 times. Gosh, it was so exciting. xD
CosplayingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2015, 10:02 PM   #11
kendraduck09

I entered my Noiz cosplay in the Hall Cosplay contest at a con, and it was my first time ever entering one. I always put my best effort into making my cosplays, but I made sure that this cosplay was going to turn out amazing. And I won an honorable mention! There were a lot of people that entered, and I was so surprised to have one something I just kind of sat there in shock and the announcer had to call my name again to go to the stage to be recognized. Though I may not have officially placed, it was such a great experience. As someone who has always had such little self-esteem, this definitely was a confidence booster. People recognized me the rest of the weekend and congratulated and complimented me. It was one of the greatest moments of my life.
Nishiki Nishio (Tokyo Ghoul)

Next convention: Otakon 2015

~ Tumblr ~ Cosplay Facebook ~ List of Cosplays ~

kendraduck09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2015, 09:32 AM   #12
HeroSignal

For me it was meeting Ivy Doomkitty when I first got into cosplay a few years ago I was discouraged about cosplaying characters that didn't have my skin color. One day I decided to go with friends and met with Ivy and said I should attend her panel "So They Say You Shouldn't Cosplay". After talking with her and listening to her guest speak I started making my own costumes again and loving cosplay more than ever not even paying attention to my skin colors or criticism from bullies all thanks to her.
HeroSignal is offline   Reply With Quote