Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 07-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #1
fvzz2

Help/Advice for a first time con goer

Hello all I'm after some help and advice ,I'm hopping to attend the MCM Comic-con in Glasgow this September. i have never been to a comic-con before,to top the list of firsts off I'm going in costume . Nothing to imaginative for my first time just as one of the soldiers from the horror movie dog soldier. so any hints tips or advice would be much appreciated
fvzz2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-19-2014, 08:27 PM   #2
KittyAngel
cute little kitty >^.^<

Talking

Hi there.

The only thing you need to do is have fun and be yourself That's the whole point of cosplaying, in general, and going to coventions. Talk to some random strangers and just make sure you're comfortable around the person/people.

If you get some really bad or wierd vibes from them, then go to someone else. Also if someone wants a picture with you, make sure you know your bounderies. Some people just don't understand the word "bounderies"

Anyway, just be yourself and have fun

DeviantArt.com
JapaneseBlossomKitty
KittyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2014, 08:36 PM   #3
Mankey

If you're going to be at the convention for a while, it would probably be wise to have your own food (or snack if it'll hold you for long enough) and drink.

Of course, that's assuming they allow food and drink and that the food there is expensive like it is at AX. I wouldn't know for sure, since my only experience is from AX.
Mankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2014, 08:46 PM   #4
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

That's pretty neat and all, but do you have anything specific you want to know? Or any specific questions you have? "hint tips and advice" is very general. Are you asking general advice on just going to a con? Because there are categories..Like what to bring to cons is one. Another is what to do there, another might be any other specifics that can get multiple answers. Or are you asking for hints tips and advice about your costume? We can't really tell since you mentioned both then didn't specify which you wanted the help on..If it's the costume portion, what's the question or questions you have specifically? Construction questions would best be asked in the specific forum here for the part. Clothing items and sewing and such go in the sewing area and props go into the prop area and wigs in the wig area and so on.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Serena (Pokemon Y [It's the one I have lol])
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 07:08 PM   #5
fvzz2

more general help as i have never been to any sort of comic con,thing like things people would suggest i take with me instead of buying there ,things that would make my time there more enjoyable , any thing really that you all think would be good for me to know or do on my first trip to a comic con
Unread 07-20-2014, 07:32 PM   #6
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Here's some general tips that may or may not help you out.
1) Research the location before you get there. Depending on your transportation, you don't want to spend extra time trying to find the con.
2) Pack snacks/meals/H20 bottle. Things to give you energy and keep you hydrated through out the day.
3) Bring extra cash. Anywhere from £25 to several hundred, depending on your budget and what you're okay spending.
4) Check the forecast before you go. If your costume is warm, and the forecast is cool/cold you'll be okay. But if it's gonna be warm, you may want to wear layers you can remove as needed.
5) Download apps that might make things easier for you (if you have a smartphone). Especially for food places, parking, bus/train info, etc.
6) Wear comfortable walking shoes, you'll be on your feet a lot.
7) Bring a phone charger. Ear buds are optional.
8) Don't leave your bag/charging phone unattended!
9) Don't be afraid of asking people for photos. If you see a cosplayer, politely ask for a photo. If they agree, thank them. If not, don't take it personally. Also, people don't like being disturbed when they're eating or in a hurry to get somewhere.
10) Have fun! Cons shouldn't be particularly stressful, so if you plan ahead, it will make things a little easier.

Another thing you may need are some cosplay repair items. Depending on what you'll be wearing, safety pins may be enough.

Hope some of this info is helpful. Have fun at your con!
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 07:34 PM   #7
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

If you have a hotel room, bring food you can heat up in a microwave, or bring money for restaurants/takeout. Also bring drinks. If you don't have a hotel room, bring some snacks and water bottles in your bag unless the con forbids it. Even if you don't have a room, you should also bring some food money just in case.

Be friendly! Remember, everyone there is interested in some form of geekery, so you pretty much have something in common with everyone there.

Currently working on:
Scarlett O'Hara Drapery Dress -- Gone With the Wind
Deandra -- MPGiS
Anna Cornonation Dress -- Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen -- OFF
Princess Suwa -- Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

My favorite cosplays:
Brittnay Matthews -- MPGiS
Mom Lalonde -- Homestuck
Princess Kenny -- South Park

Tumblr: http://justacrazedfangirl.tumblr.com/
EvilLittleKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 07:53 PM   #8
fvzz2

Thank you, the one good thing about the costume i will be wearing ( british soldier ) is has many pockets and the webbing has pouches i can put food or water in