Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 09-21-2016, 04:28 PM   #1
JT75

Childs Storm Trooper Armor

Hello,

I have been trying for some time now to find Storm Trooper armor for my 9 year old son. My wife and I both agree we want to get him actual armor and not the Rubie costumes which we have seen and found to be a great disappointment. If anyone knows how I can get ahold of the armor and what it would roughly cost that would be fantastic and greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
JT75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-22-2016, 12:02 AM   #2
Magyarita
The Cutest Little They

This question belongs in the armor and props subforum.

I'm not an expert on armor, however I know you'll probably be forking out a sizable amount of money for a better quality costume. Most children's costumes are cheaply made Halloween costumes, not higher-end cosplay costumes. You'll most likely have to get it commissioned (which you can ask about in the commissions subforum) from somebody.

FYI, commissions are *not* cheap. You're paying for supplies, (and higher-quality armor supplies like worbla and wonderflex are pretty pricey) as well as the custom design process, pattern drafting, armor shaping, sanding, priming/painting, the time involved, and the person's skill/knowledge.

Commissioners usually make costumes for teens/adults instead of children, so don't be surprised if they charge you extra for making a custom size they're not used to making. And if you want it done by Halloween, you may have to pay a rush fee to get your son's costume bumped to the top of the commissioner's queue, (especially since this is a busy time of year for cosplay commissioners) as well as pay for faster shipping.

I highly doubt you'll find anyone willing to make it for under $250-300 at the lowest. If you want to do it any cheaper than that, I'd look up storm trooper armor tutorials or settle for the Halloween store costume.

Moon Moxxi: Borderlands Pre-Sequel
Anastasia: Anastasia
Saul Goodman: Breaking Bad
Benny Gecko: Fallout: New Vegas
Momoko Koigakubo: Ghost Stories (Dub)
Cameron Van Buren -- MPGiS
Malory Archer: Archer
Deandra: MPGiS
Kamala Khan: Ms. Marvel
Vader Eloha/The Queen: OFF
Princess Suwa: Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
Magyarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2016, 12:54 AM   #3
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Echoing the above on "seriously won't be cheap for a quality set", try looking up any local/regional members of the 501st legion, and ask if they'll do commissions for stormtrooper armour. Some do, some don't, but as the 501st requires screen-accurate armour to do public events, it definitely won't be crummy stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2016, 09:27 AM   #4
kandell

The only quality child armor I've seen was at a 501st event where a sick child was presented with the armor as a gift. To get quality armor, you'll easily be spending at LEAST what the 501st guys spend on theirs, if not more since child-size armor isn't as readily available. But if you're really down to spend money on it, you could check the Replica Prop Forums (therpf.com). I've seen tutorials on how to make armor out of eva foam and thermoplastics. You wouldn't have the 501st standard finish of ABS, but it could still be high quality.
Facebook
AC Paradise
Twitter
kandell is offline   Reply With Quote