Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 06-20-2016, 04:58 PM   #1
Marthony

Transformer fans: opinions on energon cubes?

Hello,

As I may have mentioned, I plot to upgrade my G1 Optimus Prime 9.1 scale toy costume for use at Halloween this fall. As part of this I want to build a glowing energon cube cup holder for drinking. I've only just begun design work for it, and seek your opinions at this early stage.

First concept to settle: color! Energon cubes back in the 80's were either purple/pink or a more energetic rainbow flowing pattern. I'd prefer to try the latter. I could use a layer of red & blue plastic within to still give it a purplish effect. Also, I've sourced LED's that auto-change their color over about 35 seconds, so rainbow-range would actually be easier for LED's that aren't staying constant. I'd use a layer of opaque white plastic near the outer walls to blur things, after wrapping them in prism plastic to diffract them a bit.

Size: The cube will have to be big enough to contain a tall highball glass from a bar, or perhaps a sport bottle I source out - I have to be able to left the vessel out to prove I'm not bringing in alcohol, and also that I've none while walking between bars. Thinking a 1' cube would be right?

I'd build a handle on my 'end' of the cube for easy holding, and the 9V batteries would also be concealed there. Unit would be mostly plexiglass, colored plastic, LED's, wires, bathroom window prism plastic...and a long straw.

Any thoughts at this stage?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rainbow.jpg (11.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg standard.jpg (12.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Main Pose - Copy.JPG (194.4 KB, 0 views)

Unread 06-20-2016, 05:18 PM   #2
WCMorpheus

I think the pink would be the easiest route for the energon cube effect, but aside from the animated movie, the Autobots energy source were orange conductor rods. Perhaps that would be easier to make. The glowing or rainbow effect might be a bit difficult to pull off.

If you had a G1 Soundwave cosplay, energon cubes would be great, or maybe even a Laserbeak that can sit on your shoulder.

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/westcoastmorpheus
WCMorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2016, 08:20 PM   #3
Marthony

Right! I'd forgotten about the rods! They didn't get nearly as much screen time as the cubes. As they aren't as widely recognized though, I think I'll stick to the cubes.

The glowing & color changing effect is pretty straight forward here: I've already done LED circuits powered by 9V batteries, and I've sourced a version that change their own color. Using diffracting plastic & films will be more the challenge, but that is trial & error.

I see the pink cubes would be easier in that I'd only need coloured plastic on the cube's walls, and use auto-dimming LED's within (white, pink or red), but the more colored cubes have my interest at the moment.

I'll review the orange rods. I might be able to build a cup-holding version of that but it would be harder to get a generalized glow effect in close space, and not as table-friendly to put down.

Thanks, please keep the comments coming!
Unread 06-20-2016, 11:19 PM   #4
Cameron1138
Kingslayer

I feel like the pink ones are the most iconic and will be more recognizable. Either way, sounds like an awesome idea though, can't wait to see how it turns out.

In progress: Mako (Legend of Korra)

Planned: Bucky Barnes (Captain America: TFA), Big Boss/Naked Snake (MGS3), Arno Dorian (AC Unity), Steve Rogers (Captain America: TFA), Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop), Mal Reynolds (Firefly), Edward Kenway (AC IV)

FacebookdeviantArt
Cameron1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2016, 11:42 PM   #5
Marthony

Your vote is noted! =)

Thanks!