Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 08-27-2015, 10:00 PM   #1
Bobert24

Help with patterns

So I need some help finding or making patterns for a couple costumes I want to make for an animal convention I'm going to at the end of October. My problem is that I'm kind of tall so most of the ones I could order off the Internet don't fit right. I'm looking for patterns for Vash the Stampede(Trigun), Natsu Dragneel (Fairy Tail), and Inuyasha. Any help anyone can offer would be amazing.
Bobert24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-27-2015, 10:14 PM   #2
WondererBailey
o3o)/

I'm on my iPod at the moment so I won't be able to provide links (my iPod is kinda touchy ).

But anyway! I highly recommend, if you live near by one or all of these places, checking out Walmart or JoAnn's pattern selection. Lately pattern companies have been catering to the cosplay community.

Or you could check out the pattern company wedsites (Simplicity, McCalls, Butterick, etc) for anything the stores might not be carrying.

There are a number of coat patterns that could be adjusted into a Vash coat.

Sanzo - [Saiyuki Reload] - 5% / Hakkai - [Saiyuki Reload] - 95% / GIR - [Invader Zim] - 0%
Naja Gref - [Sands of Destruction] - 0% / Team Plasma Grunt x2 - [Pokemon BW] - 10%

2015 Cons: Yaoicon

Deviantart - Facebook - Tumblr - World Cosplay - Cospix
WondererBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2015, 07:57 PM   #3
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Rule #1 of patterns: unless it's an American intellectual property of massive corporate $ and fan appeal (think Disney), THERE WILL NOT BE A PATTERN FOR IT.

You're looking for patterns which will help you get to your end product, not specific character patterns.

Your best bet is to head over to the Sewing subforum and provide us some reference pics/links to your characters so we can suggest patterns that would work to get you started. But be warned that the more accurate you want your costume to be, the more modifications you're going to have to make to the patterns - particularly in Vash's case. I don't know the others so I can't comment on that.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2015, 10:16 AM   #4
Viveeh
mango puff

It's really easy to make patterns longer. You just add a bit to the hem of whatever you're making. And if it's something like a very fitted shirt you adjust the placement of the waist of the pattern to match yours. If you can't figure it out it's easy to find tutorials too.
Dream Emulator

Check out my Instagram. : D
Viveeh is offline   Reply With Quote