Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 177 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-25-2006, 09:35 AM   #16
Elendriel
God of Mischief

You know you're a cosplayer when....

People think you should be a spy with all the wigs that you have lying around

You have a closet specifically for costumes and they outnumber your "real clothes"

Your carpet is forever filled with pins

Your room has becoming a workshop with nowhere to sleep

Costume-making outwieghs doing homework or work

** this is so true for me and it's scary lol. People tease me I should be a spy with all the different wigs I have

*Planned cons for 12*
WW Chicago, TVD NJ, Dragon*Con, AWA, NYCC, Chicago TARDIS, Youmacon, TVD Orlando
Elendriel is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-25-2006, 09:41 AM   #17
Runi-Chan
*pondering*

You know you're a cosplayer when:

-a trip to the thrift store or JoAnns after you've gotten your paycheck is almost mandatory.

-you buy more clothes for cosplay than for actually wearing (GUILTY!)

-You can glimpse a character in just about anything and be struck by the sudden urge to cosplay it.

-You dread being sick because even though you stay home from work/school/etc, you don't have the energy to sew.

-Not getting part of a costume done, or postponing it makes you anxious to finish it.

-Trinity Blood makes you both very happy and very sad; for the pretty character design and the immense detail, respectively.

-In researching a costume, you've come to discover how much you like earlier clothing designs of other countries. (XP)

-When you bring home something odd from the thrift store or whereever, no one asks you any questions any more.

-You gush over the most inane fabric, and people who work there have stopped asking.

-You're familiar with the folks at the cutting desk at the fabric store. So familiar, they don't hesitate to ask what you're making, even if they don't know what it is.

-You can spot a new/cosplayer buying fabric for something at the craft store. (Which I actually did, right before Halloween, XD)

-When you finally finish a big project, you take a few pictures, then promptly put it away for x amount of months until the con, XP

-Seeing someone else's costume of a certian character makes you want to cosplay it. No matter how insanely complicated. (phantomthief's SohRyu makes me want to do something complicated from YnM, XP)

-You've taken on a certian character's habits, even before you cosplay them. (I'm working on a Totetsu, and I keep chewing on things, XP)

Last edited by Runi-Chan : 11-25-2006 at 09:48 AM.
Runi-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 09:58 AM   #18
sailorgallifrey

You and all of your cosplayer friends make jokes about one another referring to who they cosplay as. "No bringing ramen to the Foreign Language Club International Dinner, Naruto...." "Geeze, cosplaying Haruka one day and Seiya the next? What're you going to do, punch yourself in the faceface?"

This one probably only applies to me, but....

You know every single casual outfit Usagi wears in the anime of Sailor Moon, can name off the ones she wears in more than one season/movie (her R movie outfit is worn A LOT in SuperS), and even have your own theories as to why she wears certain colors in certain serieses. (They stopped putting her in excessive amounts of pink once Chibi Usa came. Am I the only one who notices this?)
Unread 11-25-2006, 10:04 AM   #19
Bazzk

You know you're a cosplayer when

-you check the UPS site everyday waiting for that specially ordered fabric to arrive and when the day comes where it says "delivered to location" you wait outside for the UPS truck... no matter the weather. (guilty)

-you come back from a con and feel weird without all the stage make-up on.

-you wait outside the fabric store for it to open on their annual 50% off sale. (I did this yesterday)

-Your friends come in to your room and there's no where for them to sit. The floor isn't even safe anymore!

-You wear elven ear tips and noone is surprised.

-You have to sleep on a worktable because you've taken your bed out of your room... I mean, workcenter.

-You have more than one dressmaker's doll and use them all.

-You have blackout curtains on one or more of your windows so the fabric you're working with doesn't get sunbleached. (I had to do this during the summer because it got wicked hot down here and was changing the color of my fabric!)

-Your mother no longer asks you to straighten up your room. She just closes the door now.

-You've stopped people on the street to ask them where they got a piece of jewelry because it would be perfect for Lulu's purple disc necklace.

-You buy specialty beads and fabric in bulk.

-Your mother has opened the refridgerator and found countless amounts of things that shouldn't be in there and not even flinched. (including a cast spider that needed to cool. Yet another summer project.)

-On laundry day there are barely any articles of clothing for you to put away because everything else has to go to the dry cleaner.

-You don't judge your paychecks in money anymore. You judge them in how many yards of fabric you can purchase. (I caught myself saying "YES! I made 70 yards today!")

I forgot these!
-You asked your best friend to come over to hang out and she brought her sewing machine, fabric, pins, and sketches of her recent project

-You dad has walked outside to see you laying in the carport, legs covered in plaster and wrappings and instead of asking what you were doing asked "You did use enough Vaseline, right?"

~Eleanor Roosevelt

Last edited by Bazzk : 11-25-2006 at 10:08 AM.
Bazzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 10:52 AM   #20
Gale
All the world's a stage

You can't go shopping for anything without that little thought-track in the back of your mind constantly surveying store merchnadice and saying "hmm...this would be good for this costume, that could work for that costume..."

You've turned the guest-closet into the costume closet and the guest-room into the sewing room (because you don't have time to clean out the room that's *supposed* to be the sewing room since you're too busy sewing!)

You put off major grade-deciding projects for sewing, even if you have more than enough time before the costume "has to be" done.

You conspire with your mother to convince your father to buy you both an overlock machine for Christmas

You go to the mall around Halloween and can't help but look in the Halloween store, but just can't for the life of you justify paying the asking price (or even any price a non-cosplayer would consiter "reasonable") for any of the factory-made costumes, because unless you make them yourself they just seem cheap. (ironic, since if they were priced cheaply, I might fork over money for them....damn my being a college student and having such little time to sew!)

Places you may find me in 2013:
Katsucon ~ ConBust ~ Anime Boston
PortCon Maine ~ ConnectiCon ~ Dragon*Con
Gale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 11:22 AM   #21
Kuro Yue
Abandoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlette
You know you're a cosplayer when...

You go to Victoria Secret and instead of looking at undergarments, you study the craftsmanship of the angel wings on the mannequins. XD
OMFG, I was doing that when the commercials came on. XD I was just like 'wow, look at the construction of those wings.'

Many strange looks ensued.
Kuro Yue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 11:43 AM   #22
natsukoarts
wanker? yes, please...

you know you are a cosplayer when...

you walk down the street in town, not in costume, and someone calls you by an anime character's name, and you are not even in cosplay attire

-must be the hair

(and worse, you actually turn around and answer to that title...)
aUSA sanzo. trowa. jessie (poke-crack). ghetto-suzu. yuki.
natsukoarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 11:54 AM   #23
Iloveknives
Team Jasper!

you know your a cosplayer when you spend your paycheck on fabric,wigs and trips to the mall and having your friend cut your hair just like jill valentine (we all have done it ~_^)

Anime L.A

Anime Expo

Ani-magic

I claim Sergei Dragunov at the claiming thread
Iloveknives is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 12:08 PM   #24
Crazy Flower
C-Flo in the Hi-zouse!!

You know you're a cosplayer when..

You have gotten used to the fumes of paints and glues in your room.

People in the fabric stores know you by face/name.

You consider working in the fabric store just for the discount.

If not constructing, you're going through 'withdrawal'

You look at video games with the though back in your head.. "Can I wear that?"

When you're *used* to being stared at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyHawke78 View Post
C-Flo and her magical behind...
THE WORLD'S BEST SUPERPOWER!!!
Crazy Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 12:11 PM   #25
Razia
*whistles*

You can't look at any character's outfit without imagining where the seams would go, what kind of fabric it's made out of, etc..

Planned costumes for MAGfest, 2008:
Elena/Reno (with the b/f)
Walter Sullivan (from Silent Hill 4)

Costumes I'll hopefully get around to some day, but God only knows when:
Sephiroth
Dawn
Edea
Milla/Sasha (with the b/f--from Psychonauts)
Sally (from Nightmare Before Christmas)
(subject to change ... repeatedly =P)
Razia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 12:15 PM   #26
phantomthief
It was fun, wasn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurouni_Ina_Box
-Seeing someone else's costume of a certian character makes you want to cosplay it. No matter how insanely complicated. (phantomthief's SohRyu makes me want to do something complicated from YnM, XP)
I wanted to cosplay SohRyu from seeing Liriel's Sohryu XD
Going right along with that...

...You pick up an entire manga series because you've seen someone do a super-amazing cosplay from it XD

Quote:
you walk down the street in town, not in costume, and someone calls you by an anime character's name, and you are not even in cosplay attire
Person: ROY!
Me: Huh?
*5 mins later*
Person: RIKU!!!
Me: Huh?
*later*
Person: Soh-chan!
Me: Eh?
*later*
Person: Ari!
Me: *no response*

~Ari-chan
Unread 11-25-2006, 12:32 PM   #27
CherryBomb
Here to devour your moon

-If you've ever been spotted at the dollar store cupping your boobs with plastic martini glasses and bowls and saying aloud "These would make PERFECT boobie armor!!" (guilty!XD)

-If you take tons of pictures of yourself in costume and get them developed the same day, but have no real desire to take any at your friend's wedding or family vacations.

-If you've ever gone to a convention "out of costume" (very rare!), and started getting extremely depressed because you felt everyone was intentianally ignoring you.
CherryBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 01:06 PM   #28
Chibi Plush Toy
KTBSPA24-7

You have almost NO regular clothes left and all that's in your closet are your costumes and scraps of fabric. You intend to go shopping for clothes...but instead you head over to the fabric store, spend all your money there, and never really make any real clothes for yourself.

Yeah...I'm down that road right now ^^;;
♥◌°
Chibi Plush Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 01:18 PM   #29
CelestialAurora
Midgar Flower Girl

- You look around at buildings, parks, etc. and think, "Wow, this place would be great for cosplay pictures."

- You cut your hair for the sake of cosplay.

- You spend all of your free time sewing, looking for reference pictures, sculpting, etc.
Alice Cullen (cafeteria Bella's first day outfit) ~ Twilight
Alice Cullen (Bella's birthday party dress) ~ New Moon
Aerith Gainsborough ~ Kingdom Hearts 2
Yvainne (blue dress) ~ Stardust

CelestialAurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 01:37 PM   #30
Runi-Chan
*pondering*

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomthief
I wanted to cosplay SohRyu from seeing Liriel's Sohryu XD
Going right along with that...
XP I think I'd pick SohRyu, if just because I abhore wearing a huge amount of white or red. But there's just so much detail there...AND LAYERS. ^.^ I like layers.
Have any advice on SohRyu, actually? ^.^ Or any of the shikigami?

I'm doing either really simple stuff this year, or really complicated things. (DARN YOU TRINITY BLOOD)

Quote:

...You pick up an entire manga series because you've seen someone do a super-amazing cosplay from it XD
^.^ I started reading D.Gray because my friends were cosplaying from it. I can only imagine how many folks browse the galleries and see Avatar cosplayers and check out the series because of it, XP

You also know you're a cosplayer when
-it's the Christmas season, and you will absolutely not buy any gifts for others until your paycheck is cashed, yet you'll go and buy material and patterns for a costume. (Which is what I'll probably be doing this week, before I have to take my PoH volumes back to the library)

-you notice something seemingly insignificant (like fingernail length, or something else very slight) on the character, and go nuts if you can't include it.
On the flipside of that; you have shorter nails, or a crooked toe, or something, and it drives you nuts while you're wearing the character

-You don't use bandaids anymore. You grab your sports tape (normally for binding ) and wrap your wound in it; a wound probably caused by your own actions during sewing.

Last edited by Runi-Chan : 11-25-2006 at 02:47 PM.
Runi-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote