Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 139 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-25-2006, 01:41 PM   #31
Rynn
WCS Team USA 2010

- You get excited for Christmas because:
a.) You can almost guarantee you're going to get a Joann's giftcard. At this
point, ANY contribution helps.
b.) You no longer see plastic Christmas tree ornaments as festive
decorations but instead as potential armor/jewerly/broaches. Amano
anyone?

- On Halloween, you ask strangers for their picture because you like their costume and forget it isn't normal.

- When you hang out with other cosplayers you ALWAYS bring a camera. With us, there's no telling when there will be a photoshoot.

: D

Unread 11-25-2006, 01:45 PM   #32
Kimmy
The Quiet One

You know you're a cosplayer when...

- The moment you start reading/watching a new series, you ask yourself if there are any characters you'd want to cosplay. You then immediatly try and figure out how the outfit is put together.

- You start paying way too much attention to how the clothes are made and put together when shopping in clothes stores, or even on the bus.

- The people at the fabric store don't even have to ask if you have a membership card because they recognize you by face or name.

- You think to yourself that "____ would be a great place for a cosplay photoshoot" when passing by buildings/parks/ect.

- Whenever you shopping, you're always on the lookout for material/trinkets/etc that might be of use to you for a cosplay you might not even bother doing.

[ - - Future Cosplay - - ]
Arya Stark (Game of Thrones) || genderbent Tony Stark/Iron Man (The Avengers)
Taffyta Muttonfudge (Wreck-It Ralph) || Lucina (Fire Emblem: Awakening) || Luna (Virtue's Last Reward)

Icon photo credit: Jack Liu

Last edited by Kimmy : 11-25-2006 at 01:48 PM.
Kimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 01:51 PM   #33
SummonerYuna
Perfectly Imperfect

[quote=CherryBomb]-If you've ever been spotted at the dollar store cupping your boobs with plastic martini glasses and bowls and saying aloud "These would make PERFECT boobie armor!!" (guilty!XD)QUOTE]

OMG! That's go AWESOME!

You know you're a cosplayer when....

- You randomly wear your costume on a normal day, because you think it would look good with a pair of earings you just got. (Etc.)

- You buy a pair of earings because it would look good with a costume.

- You read these forums almost religiously, even if you don't feel like it.

- You compare other websites to cosplay.com, wondering why there's no cosplayers there. (Damn myspace....)
SummonerYuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 02:03 PM   #34
tsuoi_kaze
PERSONA! *bang*

You know you're a cosplayer when:

You go to the mall (or anywhere that sells clothes) and you see something you really like. When you look at the price tag you immediatly say "hmph! I can make that for ALOT less money."
(guilty every time)
tsuoi_kaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 02:12 PM   #35
SummonerYuna
Perfectly Imperfect

I've just experienced another. ^^

-You see an add with Gaint scissors in the phone book and stop what ever you're doing, hoping it's a fabric shop.
SummonerYuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 02:51 PM   #36
Phantom Pirate
Klokateer

You impulse buy ANYTHING that you think would look good with a cosplay that you've maybe mentioned doing- but will probably never get around to.

*guilty* I've got so many earrings, gloves, shoes, etc, that will never get used XD
Unread 11-25-2006, 03:35 PM   #37
mell_avery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish_Rama

~You spend more money on cosplays and materials then you pay for your "normal" clothes
OMG that's true xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serria

-You'd never tell anyone outside the cosplay community how much money you actually waste, er, spend on cosplay.
hahaha whenever i tell my friend s how much money i spend on each cosplay they get dissapointed hahha

*your room is independent from the house, or at least the farest from you parents room, so they can't hear you using the sweing machine and screaming everytime you realize you've made a mistake in the middle fo the night (guilty xD my mom has told me that i can have the room that is in the backyard xD)
, Meer Campbell, Haruhi Suzumiya, Sakura Kinomoto, Sakura(TRC dragon queen), Team Rocket Grunt, Juliet, Great Saiyaman 2,"Pinafore maid", Super Sailor Mercury, Fuu, Rei Ayanami (rocker version), Mai/Haruka (daimond/pearl), Haruhi Suzumiya (sleeping gown), Tokiha Mai (maid)
mell_avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 03:36 PM   #38
makotohanabi
Chuu?

You have to wear your Schuldig costume for a swank office holiday party since you literally have nothing else. (guilty)

Monday morning you don't respond to coworkers calling your name since you're used to everyone calling you "Schu".

You haven't been to Joann's in ages and the person at the cutting counter asks if everyting is ok.

You get annoyed when you have to use your sick days for being sick instead of sewing.

After the nerd off with the kid in shipping you add 6 more costumes to the "want to cosplay list"

You get injured and you're more worried about bleeding on the white fabric.

Last edited by makotohanabi : 11-25-2006 at 03:39 PM.
makotohanabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 03:43 PM   #39
ArtsyFartsy
Breeder of the Domokuns

- You have converted your entire basement into your cosplay workshop. Each room for creating specific parts of cosplay cotumes (like the clothing, accessories, etc.) And taken over half the main floor into storage for costumes and other cosplay items.

- You construct your own wigs from scratch because the store-bought wigs are too low quality for the rest of the homemade highly detailed costume.

- You have a second workshop/storage area in your parents or friends home.

- A section of your workshop is surrounded in mirrors with a round platform where your latest creation drapes off of a dressmaking doll.

- You have over $5000.00 in cosplay-only cosmetics.

- You carry a mini sewing kit to conventions for those touch ups or costume disaster control, even if it's not your costume.

- You're on a first name basis with the owners of all the craft and fabric stores in your county, and get a special discount just because you're their top customer without needing a membership or without being an employee.

- You buy every bundle of fabric in the fabric's stores bargain bin on a weekly basis.

- Upon seeing a character once, you've almost instantly developed a pattern in your mind for their clothing, and the pattern works!

- You see someone wearing something that would go great with one of your costumes and you buy it off them.
Unread 11-25-2006, 03:46 PM   #40
SaltySlippers
ultraviolence

- You are watching pirates of the caribbean and instead of watching the film you are making a mental checklist of all the materials you need to make Elizabeth's costume [ which is exactly what I did]

- Styling and wearing wigs is normal for you.

- You work more on your sewing machine than on your homework [ guilty ]

- After tripping or falling with your costume or sewing machine the first thing you think of is "Oh crap! I hope I did not break anything" regardless of the fact that you are bleeding.
SaltySlippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 05:10 PM   #41
FullMetal Tora
Chocolate Enthusiast

--you walk into a hair salon and instead of asking for a haircut, you set your wig-head on the counter with a couple of reference pictures and ask the salon ladies for tips on cutting and styling the wig into gravity-defying shapes (My friend and i actually did this with my Sasuke wig... needless to say, the hair salon personnel were baffled, but helpful)

--your best friend invites you to spend the night and tells you to bring a few movies, video games, and your sewing machine...

--you go to school wearing a tail so often, people have ceased giving you stange looks

--you walk around the house practicing your "guy walk" for crossplaying and spilling forth random lines in both English and Japanese (which is a bit more strange for me since i speak neither of these languages at home w/my parents)

--you open letters and most plastic-wrapped things with your kunai because it's always close at hand and you don't have time to go looking for a knife and you've lost the letter-opener somewhere beneath all the scraps of fabric...

--every time you see a cool looking building or an interesting rock formation, you are inexplicably overwhelmed by the urge to get in costume and go take pictures

--you write school papers on cosplay, including diagrams and pictures...

--(maybe this one pertains only to me since i usually refuse on all grounds to miss school because i hate makeup work and i have 3 AP classes... 'nuff said)
you tell your teachers you need to miss school and they immediately say: "Have fun at your Japanese convention-thing!"

--you go to McDonald's in costume and watch the little kids stare at you as if you're God (did this on the way back from a convention in my Sasuke costume... yeah, the little kids recognized me)

--you dilligently practice eating and doing things with your left hand, then a few days before convention, you wear your automail in the house in order to get used to it

Next appearance:ALA 2010
~Deviant Art~

If you can't differentiate between "you're" and "your," you deserve to die. The Apostrophe Protection Society Yes. I am a Grammar Nazi.

Last edited by FullMetal Tora : 11-25-2006 at 05:13 PM.
FullMetal Tora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 05:23 PM   #42
GabrielDarkhawk
is Yukon Ho!

Ha ha ha, I've done some of these. ^^; Guilty of deconstructing costumes as a movie plays, watching movies solely for costume refs (and pausing and backscanning in slow mo), mentally jotting down photoshoot locations, and using many household and accessories not for their original purposes.

Let's see what new things I can add:

-You've seen movie cardboard cutouts at the theatres and have been tempted photograph them for the high level of details they contain.

-Even if you're not meaning to, you start to pay attention to fabric and stitching in movies.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.” -Calvin and Hobbes

In Progress: Alice (Pumpkin Scissors)
GabrielDarkhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 05:37 PM   #43
Elendriel
God of Mischief

here's another one, that's so true for me its scary

ALL the employees of the 3 nearby Joann Fabric Stores and Sally's Beauty Supply stores know you by name, look, and always ask to see pics of your newest costumes and ask you how your newest costume projects are going

hehe

*Planned cons for 12*
WW Chicago, TVD NJ, Dragon*Con, AWA, NYCC, Chicago TARDIS, Youmacon, TVD Orlando
Elendriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 05:47 PM   #44
Rynn
WCS Team USA 2010

- Instead of birthdays and school holidays, your yearly calendar revolves around your con schedule.
The ONLY exception to this is winter/summer break which you joyfully recognize as the "ZOMG MORE TIME TO WORK ON COSTUMES!" time. XD

- School final vs. putting the finishing touches on your costume for the convention coming up next week......you don't even open a book.

- The "people I've met at conventions" section of your buddy list is bigger than any other category and those people quickly become some of your best friends.
Unread 11-25-2006, 05:47 PM   #45
dizzylizzy
I sew things

You know you're a cosplayer when.....

(cuz this JUST happened)

Mom: Jo-ann's is open until 10pm for the holidays.
Me: What?!?!? SWEET!!! This is the best news ever! We're sooo going after putting up these docorations!
Mom: ::laughs::

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dizzy...49665061805445
dizzylizzy is offline   Reply With Quote