Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime Mid-Atlantic

Unread 11-25-2006, 08:54 AM   #1
XoPinkuSpiderxo
CandyHolic

AMA weapons policy?

Hi! Me and two friends are going as Blossom Bubbles and Buttercup from Demashtaa! Powerpuf girls Z. I was wondering if anyone knew AMA's weapons policy as Bubbles carries a tall staff and Buttercup carries a giant hammer. Any info would be appreciated!

Example:
http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l5...t=ppgz0701.jpg

EDIT: unfortunately we cant do this costume anymore but this thread could still be useful to other people bringing weapons.

Last edited by XoPinkuSpiderxo : 04-03-2007 at 06:08 AM.
XoPinkuSpiderxo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-25-2006, 06:48 PM   #2
Lumasnati
Wants a cookie..

They let a friend of mine in last year with a HUGE key thing from some game. I think they'll let a giant hammer in. ^^;;
Lumasnati is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2006, 08:18 PM   #3
Rave-Ninja
P.L.U.R.

They also let in the entire or rather most of OrgXIII with their weapons. But your best bet would be to e-mail the convention staff and ask them the question.
There's only I Can get me out of this.

--------------------------------------

Katsucon 2010
Otakon 2010
Anime USA 2010

Bring it on 2010
Rave-Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2006, 04:02 PM   #4
samt03

AMA did not let Gojyo carry his weapon thingy cause it had a 4 inch metal bracket connecting the cresent peice to the staff. They also would not let Goku carry his weapon cause it was a metel rod for the base. (both from Saiyuki) The guy who checked the weapon for Gojyo also scratched paint off the woden part to be sure it was wood (just checked video). I don't know if they just targeted our group or what.
Unread 12-04-2006, 10:29 PM   #5
Tikki
AMA Cosplay Dept. Head

Heyo! Head of AMA's Cosplay department here.

The specific staff to inquire would be Security and you can find their contact info on the convention website. They do all the final checks and peace-bonding at the convention for all props.
If you're thinking about competition and bringing it on stage, I personally have no issue with most weapon props as long as you follow simple guidelines:
1) NO LIVE STEEL OR EDGED BLADES!
2) Be careful how you carry your prop. No breaking of stage or equipment, or you'll pay for it. And it is expensive...
3) Anything vaguely gun-like that is frowned upon by Security can be used on stage and only on stage. Tuck it away after that. Sorry, save picture time for later and away from said Security staff or they'll get mad at you. The state of Virginia has an EXTREMELY strict shadow gun law that allows any police officer to shoot first, then ask questions. Hence, most prop guns aren't usually allowed at any Virginia cons... Always check with Security if you aren't sure.

Remember, peace-bonding is usually a tag or bright zip-tie that allows any other staffer to know that you have taken your item to Security and it has been approved for the weekend. Do not swing your prop around or mock-battle with someone else during the convention. You'll get Security on you rather quickly and trust me, you don't want to waste time arguing with staff when you can be smart with your prop and enjoy the con instead.

I hope this helps!
Street Fighter Revival Part Deux @ Otakon '07: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu6cdoHDShQ
Street Fighter Revival Part Troix @ Otakon '10: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_DG8q0KT3g
Tikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2007, 12:13 PM   #6
Wakusei
Kaizoku no Oujisama

Just to add to the "rule" madness...
Last year they not only peace-bonded my tennis racquet, but also made me check it in at security for holding on the sunday of the con.
Security got much more strict as the con went on because of complaints over props. That and...
Richmond has a curfue!
That's right, kids. Unless you are over 18 you'll be asked back to the hotel after a certain time at night.

Atleast that's my experience from 2006.
I'm not out to scare you. I'm just giving everyone the head's up just in case that curfue thing bites us in the butt.
Wakusei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2007, 06:23 PM   #7
Kaoshima
Legendary Prosecutor

Yeah, the *curfew* really sucks but it's not like anyone can do anything about it, so there's no point in complaining excessively about it. /sigh And yeah, Virginia law is uber strict about guns, and if you lived anywhere near Richmond, you'd know why... ^.^;
Kaoshima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2007, 06:27 PM   #8
XoPinkuSpiderxo
CandyHolic

We know exactly why *stands on the side of Jeff Davis**gets shot accidentaly in a drug deal gone wrong*
XoPinkuSpiderxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2007, 06:32 PM   #9
Kaoshima
Legendary Prosecutor

^ Exactly.

(heheh... deep voice: "Headshot!" lol)
Unread 03-22-2007, 06:47 PM   #10
Malaki
1 Sad Sexually

I guess you guys weren't around for the dance saturday night? They lifted the curfew that night.

And yeah, con security sucked ass...I was Pyramid Head and they made me put a shirt on.

I walked around without a shirt on all day...then they decided to make me put it on around 11 at night...-_-;
Malaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2007, 05:17 PM   #11
Kaoshima
Legendary Prosecutor

Actually I was, I just figured they'd let you in if youe were with a relative who was over 18 (which I was) so I never really noticed, but thinking about it now, it makes sense...
Unread 04-02-2007, 03:02 PM   #12
bamboocactus
Reporting live from Japan

Last year I remember security was extremely moody and power-drunk. For the rave, they moved the line all over the darn place just because they could, and then if there was anything shiny on your body or anything that dangled so much as an inch away, you had to go back to the hotel and remove all of it. I think they just wanted everyone there in skin tight spandex bodysuits or something... I hate those guys.

-Heishiro Mitsurugi (Soulcalibur IV) ... Coming soon...

-A Pimp Named Uruhara (Mod - Bleach) ... 100%

-Heishiro Mitsurugi (P3, Soul Calibur II) ... 100%

bamboocactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2007, 03:55 PM   #13
Lumasnati
Wants a cookie..

I have a question...

I am making a costume currently... that has... well.. a really long tail with it. Will I get stopped.. Time and time again for having it? I mean... If security went insane over everything last year... How are they gonna react to a 3 ft tail?

Next con Stop: Katsucon 2011~
World of Warcraft - Night Elf/Blood Elf Priest Tier 10

Unread 04-02-2007, 08:15 PM   #14
bamboocactus
Reporting live from Japan

If it's dragging behind you then it'll be a problem. you'll probably want to carry it or have someone else carry it (like a train). I only say this because I know that if I'm wearing shoes with laces and they become untied, invariably someone steps on those and trips me up... and those are only a few inches of string!

-Heishiro Mitsurugi (Soulcalibur IV) ... Coming soon...

-A Pimp Named Uruhara (Mod - Bleach) ... 100%

-Heishiro Mitsurugi (P3, Soul Calibur II) ... 100%

bamboocactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2007, 09:07 PM   #15
Lumasnati
Wants a cookie..

Well.. While I walk, it'll probably be over my shoulder... but I mean... the tail is fricking long... Almost 3 ft in length.

Next con Stop: Katsucon 2011~
World of Warcraft - Night Elf/Blood Elf Priest Tier 10