Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki

Unread 11-29-2006, 01:30 AM   #1
b3nj4k3

Howl's Moving Castle.

Hey I'm cosplaying as Howl from Howls moving castle and I was wondering a few things...

1) I plan on taking something that looks like black feathers and either glueing them or using some alternative way to make them stick on my arm... Any Ideas what I should use to simulate the feathers, and what to attach them with?

2) I think all I need for the costume is a white long sleeve, peasent-like shirt. Would it be easy for someone with no sewing knowledge to make one?

3) Any other cool ideas or suggestions for a howl?

b3nj4k3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-29-2006, 02:05 AM   #2
GabrielDarkhawk
is Yukon Ho!

As for the feathers, you may want to take a look at this person's gallery. http://members.cosplay.com/costume/47794/

Not sure about shirt making, but it should be all right if you have a pattern to go off of. Try browsing www.sewingpatterns.com for ideas.

Good luck! ^^ d

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.” -Calvin and Hobbes

In Progress: Alice (Pumpkin Scissors)
GabrielDarkhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2006, 02:11 AM   #3
RinniBoBinni
Catgirl Rin Rin

XD I just bought this DVD days ago! I loved it! <33333

Oh, what a great idea! So you'd like to do a Black-Feathered Howl? Oiee, I suggest, rather than gluing feathers/feather equivalents, to your arms, that you find a full body suit, the kind that has long sleeves up to your wrists and down to your ankles, and glue feathers/whatevers, on. Hotglue seemed to make feathers hold great on this feather fan I made once. Make separate wings that run up to your shoulders and have a little bar on the inside where you can grip and keep the wing on maybe.

And for your second question, yes, I think one without no sewing knowledge could pull one off. Perhaps a pattern to help you out to see the pieces, or a visit to a thrift shop to buy a peasant-like shirt, regardless of color, and take it apart by the seams. Use those pieces as a pattern on the fabric of your choice.

^^ Maybe you could do the Howl where he has orange hair, nothing but a towel around him. Some green tinge to the skin would be awesome!

Haha, best of luck!
Unread 12-02-2006, 08:43 PM   #4
kimi-chan
Kimi the Traveler

Great movie, traveled half of the US to see it in theaters. Well for Howl, really the peasent shirt should be the least of your worries. I am a big fan of altering things and you may find something a department or thrift store. Check the blend and if it's not the right color, dye it. If you have your heart set on making one, check out patterns like was suggested before.

What is the "Look" you're going for? Lots of feathers, little bit of feathers? I think that a fly tying shop (outfitter) could give you enough feathers for a sparse look. They sell rooster necks in black. Shiney feathers! For attaching them I suggest prostectic adhesive, strong stuff, but will come off, you just have to trim the feathers to your liking so they look like they came out of your skin. Best of Luck, Spero Tutto Bene!
~Kim
Eve - Applegeeks
Son Goku - Saiyuki(just remaking)
kimi-chan is offline   Reply With Quote