Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Legend of Zelda

Unread 03-26-2015, 11:39 PM   #1
p8ntballsniper8
Whaddya buyin?

Baldric weight issues

Hey all,

so I (finally) finished my master sword and scabbard. yaaaaaaaay!

I strapped it to my baldric and threw it on. uuuuunfortunately, the sword/scabbard combo is a bit heavy... to the point where it tries to pull the baldric around my body so the scabbard sags down to the middle of my back-ish.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a way to secure the baldric in place?

Cons attending -

Sakuracon 2014-Donezo!
EverFree Northwest 2014
p8ntballsniper8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-27-2015, 05:03 PM   #2
lemuries

Are the front and back lengths of the baldric the same? Is the baldric simply a length of cloth/leather?

You can define where the highpoint of the curve is by putting a dart into the baldric on the shoulder point. It won't want to rotate at that point. To put a dart in, you would fold over part of the baldric material on the neck side, but not on the shoulder side. If it's cloth, you just make a triangular tuck and sew it down. If it's leather, I would cut a slice in the baldric from neck to shoulder and then pivot the cut edges so they barely cross each other at the shoulder, but one lies on the other about an inch deep on the neck side. Then I would stitch that new triangle/diamond shape down a lot since it's going to take the strain of the whole baldric on that join.
Ideally, you would have a helper to measure you from sword-hip across your chest to your shoulder and down your back to your sword hip again. Then compare the two lengths. I would imagine the front of your baldric needs to be shorter than the back of your baldric, but everyone's body is different.

Hopefully, if my advice is bad, someone will come along and offer you a dissenting view. I just know that when I wove what amounts to a pageant sash, I had to sew that shoulder tuck to get it to lie flat on my shoulder and not move around. Admittedly, it wasn't bearing any weight, but that's why I offer the advice I do.
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2015, 11:01 PM   #3
p8ntballsniper8
Whaddya buyin?

Yes, the baldric is just a leather belt. However that does sound like some superb advice. I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

If nothing else, I had a couple of ideas utilizing some hardware I was able to snag from work

Cons attending -

Sakuracon 2014-Donezo!
EverFree Northwest 2014
p8ntballsniper8 is offline   Reply With Quote