Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 08-15-2002, 12:13 PM   #1
Kurenai

less-than-pleasant experiences?

Has anyone ever had really bad experiences/negative feedback because of cosplay?

I was wondering 'cos I was thinking about all the times I would look at fansview.com at school. Nothing happened most of the time, and if questioned I would say "It's for my senior inquiry project!" which -was- actually on cosplay ^^;

Point being, one time some girl just came and looked over my shoulder and said "UGH! Oh my GOD! What kind of weirdos dress up like that! That is SO WEIRD! " So I just looked at her and said "Hi, you're bothering one of those weirdos right now" and gave her a nice big grin. She just kind of twitched and skittered away. I love scaring the locals. ^_^
Kurenai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-15-2002, 12:19 PM   #2
Rosiel
The FRENCH CONNECTION
Super Moderator

> Has anyone ever had really bad experiences/negative feedback because of cosplay?

Oooooooooooooooh yes.

AX02. Someone rudely bumping into me in Angel Sanctuary gear and saying really loud "Way to go, try to bring back World War II". (and that was from a convention attendee too)

People calling the cops on my friends and I because we were taking pictures in a public park in costume? (with full-coverage outfits and simple "stand-by-something-pretty" poses)

Hmm... I've been called a freak when I was walking in my Zoisite costume (which is pretty normal for cosplay) in Baltimore...

I'm sure I have quite a few more but that's all that comes to mind now. ^____^

But I should say I also had very good experiences with people who knew nothing about cosplay... a lot more good then bad... but bad ones are generally the ones you tend to remember the most.

Last edited by Rosiel : 08-15-2002 at 01:45 PM.
Rosiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2002, 12:55 PM   #3
Mei Lan Chang
Its a "shoulder massager"

My goodness Rosiel, that sucks. SInce i am really to scared to wear any costumes by myself in public, I haven't had any encounters as such. I always get the evil eye from my politically active parents for being and oddball though...
Unread 08-15-2002, 01:10 PM   #4
Ina
har har har

i was looking through risingsun and fansview, this guy who likes anime too was looking through cosplay pictures with me, he thought it was cool, but then he asked me, "Do they get paid to do this or something?" i said no, and he was all like "Whoa, they need to get a life!!!" grrr, i didn't say anything becuase he wouldn't understand if i explained to him, omg, i just wanted to drag him to a con by his hair >D
Ina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2002, 01:18 PM   #5
KuroBara
dog of the military

Rosiel, I've had similar problems in Baltimore. People are usually ignorant, but a few are rude. Cosplayers get so many stares in the food courts. Children are cute, they just stare unwavering. Adults try to make it look like they're not looking, and when you catch them they get all embarassed. One lady was staring at me on the Baltimore skywalk, so I met her eyes and stared right back at her! My favorite was the guy who asked if we were in a play. At the time I was dressed as Suzaku no Miko, and resisted the urge to say "Yes, a Mysterious Play". ^_~

When people in the hotel ask I try my best to explain, but they still give you wierd looks. One guy got in the elevator last year and said "I can't believe I'm stuck in a hotel with all of these geeks!" I wasn't in costume at the time, but I was still really offended. No one has the right to criticize our harmless hobby.
Unread 08-15-2002, 01:24 PM   #6
kelldar
kelldar the barbarian

Not really, thanks goodness. My responses I've gotten have been positive. At Otakon, at the hotel, a guy walked past me (I was standing in the hall, waiting on my friend who had to go back to the room) and asked if I was going to a costume party. I just said yes, 'cause... well, it kind of is ^^;
Most people, when they ask, their response is usually, "oh, neat."
Unread 08-15-2002, 01:39 PM   #7
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Very few, luckily. I'm very forthcoming about it at work - I think there's another otaku downstairs in Acquisitions, so maybe they were prepared for me here. "Yes, here I am, this is what I do." Most of my co-workers seem to think it's actually interesting.

The only negative experience I ever had was when I was dressed as Toshiya from Dir en Grey; I walked past a couple of guys who clearly didn't know what to make of us, and one of them called out "Holy s***, it's GWAR!" But that really just made me laugh.

www.suspiciouscloset.com
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2002, 01:41 PM   #8
Carmila
Katsucon Pocky Tart

I caught a major rap from going to my University's costume party dressed up as Sailor Moon, but just an hour later I won a major costume contest at a local club. The best part is that I won $500! When I went as Akari Kanzaki two years later, lots of people thought twice about making fun of me.

Join the Carmy Army!
http://www.thesteelangel.com/carmsboobs.gif
Carmila is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2002, 01:43 PM   #9
Rosiel
The FRENCH CONNECTION
Super Moderator

> the guy who asked if we were in a play. At the time I was dressed as Suzaku no Miko, and resisted the urge to say "Yes, a Mysterious Play". ^_~

LOL. You should have!

My Angel Sanctuary group at this year's Otakon ended up defaulting to "We're in the middle of rehearsal for a modern take on Paradise Lost". That satisfied most people.

The lie for the cops was "Fashion students who did costumes as a summer project and need pictures for their portfolio".

Explaining "cosplay" to the neophyte is just too difficult sometimes. >____<

But like I mentioned, people are generally curious and polite, and sometimes downright funny (like the guy who gave us a thumbs up from his car as we were walking down the street going to our photoshoot last weekend)... kids being the best. =)

So negative experiences are few and far between... I just got a few extreme ones. O_O
Unread 08-15-2002, 02:14 PM   #10
Ayaka
Ralph the Wonder Llama

Yeah, those suck, Rosiel! Man.

Nothing really negative's happened to me. Besides the fact that I realized doing my photo shoot in the backyard that my next door neighbor and family were out on the porch, and two of the kids walked by and kinda gave me "the look", lol. And one guy at AX driving by waited until the light turned green and then shouted "HAPPY HALLOWEEN!" out the window. Oh yeah, and the lady who cuts my hair thinks I'm insane. She just kept asking "But . . .why? Why?"

I have a feeling SOMETHING is going to happen at AXNY . . . being in Times Square and all . . . I think many New Yorkers would be cool with it, but there are going to be a LOT of tourists around.
Unread 08-15-2002, 05:52 PM   #11
Celine
Remember me?

Ugh, Baltimore is the worst place ever... if you don't want to be harassed, get changed at the convention center, or stay in the closest hotel possible. Last year, a friend of mine almost got in a fight with some random drunk. Both of us were in costume and the man made some very derogatory comments. My friend's a bit short-tempered and was carrying a staff as a prop for his costume, but I managed to convince him to just keep walking.

In general, I've got a number of good and bad experiences. Kids think it's really neat (like when we had a Team Rocket photoshoot out on a playground... with a whole little audience! XD), but most adults are overwhelmed by the weirdness, I guess. I usually just tell the random passers-by who inquire that the convention has a contest for best costume, and that seems adequate to them. There's really no use in explaining more than that.
Celine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2002, 06:45 PM   #12
pookie-kun
neko-boy extraordinaire!

I was walking with some friends in costume just across the skywalk between the baltimore convention center and the hyatt, and we got strange people walking behind us shouting derogetory comments.. mainly at my friends, though, not me.. *sigh* that and when I get rediculed in one of my irc hangouts for cosplaying by a couple somebodies.. those're the only negative reactions i've gotten. My dad probably thinks it's the devil, or something, but my mom thinks it's neat.

The best, I agree, is the funky looks we get from people in the food court at otakon ^_^ .. hmm.. and those of us staying in the hyatt, while going too and from the hotel on saturday night, had to wade through crowds of people going to this black tie party thing they were having there because of the fraternity thingy going on.

Your daily dose of the reality that is my imagination.
pookie-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2002, 06:48 PM   #13
Pollyanna
Sewer Princess

Well, getting nasty comments outside of a convention is sort of expected, but when you get made fun of for cosplaying AT A CONVENTION, then there's something wrong.
That's sort of the way it is at A-kon late at night. I just don't get it. If you're in the wrong place past midnight or so, it's like you're not even at an anime con anymore. All of these people who I guess are looking for a party or something show up. I never see them during the day, and I swear, they must not be anime fans. They ask stupid questions, are frequently rude and have made fun of me before. That's really the worst.
I've been pretty lucky at AX, though. I'm always apprehensive about walking across the 4 lanes of traffic in costume...and then especially again late at night. Hahaha...this year some guy said "excuse me, ma'am?" late at night, and I got pretty nervous. ("Ma'am!?) He was really nice and just wanted a picture, but I was totally nervous at first.
It's especially bad when you're a character that a lot of "normal" people would recognize.
Pollyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2002, 07:16 PM   #14
Rosiel
The FRENCH CONNECTION
Super Moderator

> I'm always apprehensive about walking across the 4 lanes of traffic in costume...

For some reason when you're dressed as an angel... people really make sure to stop far away from you.

^____^
Unread 08-15-2002, 07:41 PM   #15
Space Invader
Sparkle Butt

I haven't had any, thank god. The only person who thinks I'm strange is my Mom - my Dad is fine with it all - he doesn't have a problem with me cosplaying or blowingmoney on anime goods ^___^. Yeah, but if I continue cosplaying, I expect to get some strange looks every now and then. At cons you're pretty much safe, but anywhere else - look out. Yeesh. Some people are just RUDE, given what you guys have had experiences with. OH wait - nevermind, I HAVE had people stare at me before, LOL. After Ushicon me and my friends went into a pizza place for lunch and I didn't take off the pieces of my Puchiko outfit, mainy because I had hat hair *sheepish grin*. Everyone in the pizza place was staring at me in my kitty hat, tail, and boots. I would just smile nicely at them. Rosiel, kids ARE cute when it comes to staring.

{ I N L U M I N O }
Space Invader is offline   Reply With Quote