Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 02-17-2015, 11:30 AM   #1
xcvi
xcvi

Pretentious cosplayers?

I'm not going to mention any names here for obvious reasons.

I was at a convention recently and saw this one cosplayer that I had been following on Instagram. She had a decent following but I don't know if she was anyone "famous". I had followed the construction of this cosplay and I was extremely impressed with the detail in the costume and it was amazing to see in person. I went up and asked if I could get a photo and complimented her cosplay. My friend and I have a lot of sewing experience and are always excited to learn new things so we asked her maybe two questions. However, the whole time, she was sort of rude to us. When we told her how amazing her cosplay was she thanked us in the "I know it is" sort of way. I definitely got the sense of 'why are you talking to me if your cosplay is not as detailed and intricate as mine' sort of thing.

This is just one example but I'm sure people have encountered other instances like this before.

Why is it that some cosplayers with very good cosplays come across as rather pretentious? Even if they know they're amazing, why can't they just make an attempt to be humble about it!
xcvi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-17-2015, 11:43 AM   #2
Syon

Because some people can't deal with their own success at something. It turns them arrogant.
Unread 02-17-2015, 12:14 PM   #3
NaughtsApproach

unfortunately sometime people think they are the best thing since sliced bread...in the cosplay world or out side of it.

Western CO Cosplay group

:Website:
http://futagocosplay.wix.com/futagocosplay

:FaceBook page:
http://www.facebook.com/WeAreFutagoCosplay

Take a look at our pages!<3
NaughtsApproach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2015, 12:29 PM   #4
Alichuu
The Kitsune

ha I heard stories from friends about this sort of stuff. There's a "famous" cosplayer that a few of my friends had met and they really like her and follow her page and stuff but when they asked to get a pic with her she shrugged them off and said no in a rude way.
Alichuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2015, 01:17 PM   #5
VagrantSolCasca

Every cosplayer is not going to be humble and nice when being approached. Perhaps that's just how they are or maybe they had a bad day, could be a number of reasons. Brush it off, try not to let it bother you too much.
VagrantSolCasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2015, 02:18 PM   #6
WCMorpheus

A good deal of people are trying to parlay cosplay into a side career, so those that have tables at conventions with photographs and merchandise for sale tend to be a bit grouchy when you don't buy anything.

At one show, I asked a fairly well-known cosplayer for a photo for my convention coverage blog, and she said "sure," but I could tell by her eyes and tone of voice that she was annoyed. Whatever. If you don't want the attention, don't cosplay is what I always say.

Bottom line, just say "whatever" and shrug it off. Not everyone is going to give you an attitude, in fact, I'd say that there's only 1% of cosplayers, famous or not that would cop an attitude for a simple request.

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/westcoastmorpheus
WCMorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2015, 07:44 PM   #7
BiohazardBeauty
OscuroLupo

I know an entire group of them that won't talk to me anymore because I got up to their level in sewing/whatnot.

:/

I don't understand why they can't just be happy that we like the same thing. Why does it always have to be, "I'm better."
BiohazardBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2015, 07:52 PM   #8
schmemy
shh-meh-mee

It sucks that you had this experience, but maybe there was a misunderstanding?

When I was at AWA this last year, I wore a costume that got way more attention than I was expecting, to the point where I started turning people down for photos just so I could walk back to my room. I tried to sound apologetic, but I know I came off as cranky near the end, and several people looked really offended. I felt bad, but on the other hand, I was just so done.

So yeah, it sucks that you felt like they were pretentious, but just brush it off and keep going. You don't know their circumstances, so there's no use dwelling on it. :P

MTAC 2015
Beatrice | Kashima | Elizabeth | P5 Protag | Nico di Angelo

2015 Cons
MTAC | Colossalcon | Anime Expo | San Japan | Akaicon | AWA

schmemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2015, 08:23 PM   #9
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Always has been, always will be. The newish idea of being "famous" for cosplay is exacerbating it, but by the same token, people who really don't know much about cosplay hoisting talented and beautiful people up onto pedestals whether they want to be there or not doesn't help, either.

People in general have inflated expectations of themselves, whether they think they're the most beautiful, have the best body, the best costume, the most skills, the "right" eye or hair color or nose shape, whatever. There's lots of reasons people think themselves better than the plebian masses, not the least of which might be narcissism, insecurity, etc etc etc. In truth, it's really no different from a hipster indie music fan looking down on people for liking Nickelback or Lady Gaga, or foodies sniffing at someone who likes a little Velveeta now and then. Their opinion of themselves, and the overall importance of themselves, their ego, and their cosplay in the greater scheme of the world really isn't worth a damn. But people are people, it's what they do. An asshole is an asshole no matter the scenario.

Yes, there are times people can run into someone on a bad day. Things happen. On the other hand, the nasty sense of "celebrity" (and the air quotes are hugely, liberally applied here) raising its ugly head in the hobby is creating an artificial distance between people. We are all purveyors of our craft, and like OP said, we all have things we want to learn from one another. Anyone who would rather preen for a camera instead of stop and talk shop with me is no one I would want to be a friend with. Back in the day it used to be skill level, then it was whether or not you had the right body for the character, and now it's how famous you are on Facebook. The reason changes, but the elitists stay the same. Stroke someone's ego long enough and they'll start to believe their own hype.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2015, 09:27 PM   #10
belligerent
Viking Metal

I am objectively the best person ever but I also will talk to anybody about anything, and I will bake cakes for your birthday or sing gentle songs to you when you are sick, so these fuckers really have no excuse for being such fuckers.

Unfollow them if they're clownshoes.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2015, 09:36 PM   #11
KittyAngel
cute little kitty >^.^<

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsuleCorp View Post
Always has been, always will be. The newish idea of being "famous" for cosplay is exacerbating it, but by the same token, people who really don't know much about cosplay hoisting talented and beautiful people up onto pedestals whether they want to be there or not doesn't help, either.
I couldn't agree more with CapsuleCorp here. Unfortunately, there's always some sort of politics in EVERYTHING nowadays, when technically, there wasn't any to begin with. Don't get me wrong, there are some truly talented cosplayers that know what fabrics to use and what stitch would suit a garmet better, but at the end of the day, it's all about having fun and learning more and new skills as you go along.

Quote:
An asshole is an asshole no matter the scenario.
Pfft XD That's an awesome statement and it couldn't be more true Very well put my friend

Quote:
Yes, there are times people can run into someone on a bad day. Things happen. On the other hand, the nasty sense of "celebrity" (and the air quotes are hugely, liberally applied here) raising its ugly head in the hobby is creating an artificial distance between people. We are all purveyors of our craft, and like OP said, we all have things we want to learn from one another. Anyone who would rather preen for a camera instead of stop and talk shop with me is no one I would want to be a friend with. Back in the day it used to be skill level, then it was whether or not you had the right body for the character, and now it's how famous you are on Facebook. The reason changes, but the elitists stay the same. Stroke someone's ego long enough and they'll start to believe their own hype.
Agreed 100% here. The 'celebrity' metality nowadays are getting really ridiculous on so many levels. When someone admires your hardwork, don't get snoby and high-and-mighty about it. I always make sure that I give someone praise on their cosplay, even if it's incredibly simple because that very person could have worked just as hard or even harder on that 1 cosplay than someone that's been doing it for years. I know that seems like a little much to some people, but I just look at it as 'we were all new to cosplay at 1 time'

So all in all, unfortunately, there are pretintous cosplayers that 'think' and 'act' like their crap doesn't stink in the cosplay world, when in fact, it stinks like everyone elses, whether a newbie or an experienced craftsman.

DeviantArt.com
JapaneseBlossomKitty

Last edited by KittyAngel : 02-17-2015 at 09:38 PM.
KittyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2015, 10:32 PM   #12
sooyong
Ninja for Hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by belligerent View Post
I am objectively the best person ever but I also will talk to anybody about anything, and I will bake cakes for your birthday or sing gentle songs to you when you are sick, so these fuckers really have no excuse for being such fuckers.

Unfollow them if they're clownshoes.
Unrelated, but I just wanna say that I got really excited over seeing your Rei profile pic. He's my favorite and I feel like he doesn't get enough love sometimes.

Anyway, I can understand if some more popular cosplayers are tired and stressed, and aren't good at hiding it. I've had a few times where I was tired/needed to fix my costume and had the worst time trying to get back to the hotel because people kept stopping me, even when I clearly looked to be in a hurry. Nonetheless, I've NEVER refused anyone's photo request and always tried to be polite in my response. It's really important for cosplayers to keep a positive attitude with fans (as long as the fans aren't being rude or harrassing of course). The last thing I'd want is for someone who admires my work to leave with negative feelings, or guilt because they felt like I was annoyed by their presence. It also takes courage for some people (including me) to go up to a cosplayer and talk to them; how crappy would it be to make them feel worse?

Planned Project(s):
Sailor Star Maker (Sailor Moon: Sailor Stars)
fem! Rei (Free!)
Red Jasmine (Disney's Aladdin)

Next Event:
Nipponbashi Street Festival (March 22)

sooyong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2015, 10:49 PM   #13
KaiM0n
MaitKaiCos

It's not pretensious if that's how they really are. They're just not posting it on their wall.
In that other scenario. She may post pics all the time. Maybe to capture their good side. But she might be hesitant like 'oh no i don't like that pic' or what not. Some of us are like that.

WIP: Modern Kimono.. 0%, Neko Lass..0%

Last edited by KaiM0n : 02-23-2015 at 01:49 AM.
KaiM0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2015, 11:08 PM   #14
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

There are all kinds of people. *shrug* Some people have just nasty personalities, plain and simple. Just like your regular non-cosplay life, move on. Although I can see how disappointing it must feel to have someone you really looked up to turns out to be not the best person in the world.

But then the person could also be having a bad day so far or whatnot so their comments can come off as cranky when they aren't usually like that.

Like schmemy, I wore a cosplay once that got a lot of attention and I kept getting stopped. During the con day, I ended up stepping on part of it, breaking a piece off that I needed to fix. I'm sure some of the people I turned down got really annoyed at me despite me being as apologetic as possible.
|Natsume(Tokyo Ravens)|Morgiana(green blouse version, Magi)|Camellia Meiko(Vocaloid)|Emerald(RWBY, Regular outfit)|Emerald(RWBY, school uniform)| Emerald(RWBY, prom dress)|Robin(Fire Emblem: Awakening)| Yona (Akatsuki no Yona)

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2015, 06:59 AM   #15
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

I have to deal with a pretentious non-famous cosplayer. They're a commissioner and act like they're freaking Vera Wang or Coco Chanel. They claim to be so "professional", but I've had to repair a commission they made for my boyfriend that not only did not fit at ALL, (I gave them all of his proper measurements!) but also proved that they have no idea how to gather, iron, finish seams, backstitch, or even cut a pattern out properly! (One side of a pant leg should NOT be 3 inches longer than the other, come on.)

Oh well, once my commission business gets started, maybe people will realize that my work is better than theirs, even though I am far from a professional and will not call myself that until I get my Master's in fashion design and break into the industry. I recognize that I have many years to come before I can call myself anything other than a simple enthusiast.

Benny Gecko: Fallout: New Vegas
Momoko Koigakubo: Ghost Stories (Dub)
Mercenary!Brittnay: MPGiS
Saison Marguerite: MPGiS
Malory Archer: Archer
Deandra: MPGiS
Kamala Khan: Ms. Marvel
Anna Cornonation Dress: Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen: OFF
Princess Suwa: Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
Sewing blog: http://www.annikakisskisses.blogspot.com