Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 04-13-2017, 11:50 AM   #1
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

What sewing/pattern drafting techniques are you interested in learning?

I'm trying to plan out panel/workshop content for this year's Costume Con. I've been approved to run 2 panels about pattern drafting. What kinds of topics would you find really helpful to learn more of or to learn something new to improve your cosplay skills? What sorts of questions would you ask someone with a formal education in fashion design? Help a girl out.

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs

Last edited by dizzymonochrome : 04-13-2017 at 11:59 AM.
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-13-2017, 12:36 PM   #2
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Grading! How to size up/down patterns or make ones for multiple sizes. Fashion school was totally useless in that regard for me and I'd love to be able to just grade up/down existing patterns instead of buying new ones or entirely redrafting when I sew for various sizes of people.
(Also, see you at CostumeCon!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2017, 12:41 PM   #3
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Grading! How to size up/down patterns or make ones for multiple sizes. Fashion school was totally useless in that regard for me and I'd love to be able to just grade up/down existing patterns instead of buying new ones or entirely redrafting when I sew for various sizes of people.
(Also, see you at CostumeCon!)
Grading is a tough one! Could be too complicated for just 1 hour but I can try.

Unread 04-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #4
Mangochutney
probably a frackpants

Facings. A lot of people aren't familiar with them but they're easy enough to teach you should be able to no it in an hour.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Your Mother [Debbie Does Dallas XXIII] (8%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2017, 02:10 PM   #5
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Hmm, something more doable in a short session.... well, I'm shit at mitred corners and nicely hemming sharp points. I'd love techniques/tips on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2017, 03:53 PM   #6
fabrickind
Aspiring Senpai

Grading might be too much for an hour-long panel, but what about something about how to refit a pattern to yourself, with common fitting issues? Things like making something that otherwise fits longer/shorter for height, or doing adjustments for fuller or less full busts or hips, or how to combine pattern sizes if your proportions make it so you fall into different sizes for bust/hips/waist, etc.? Grading would take a lot of time to teach, since it's so complicated, but common fitting concerns to make an otherwise fitting pattern more tailored to you might be really helpful for a lot of people.
Unread 04-13-2017, 05:03 PM   #7
Jigouku Chou
Survival Horror Addict

I would be interested in learning more about draping as a pattern making technique.
Anime Expo 2015 and 2016

::Upcoming Cons::
Nan Desu Kan 2017
Colorado Anime Fest 2018
Anime Expo 2018
Jigouku Chou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2017, 08:54 PM   #8
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

Making patterns for armor without a dress form/mannequin/whatever. I'm trying to figure it out at the moment, especially since I am slightly too big for me to just wrap the foam around myself and mark it.

Slapthefatcat Cosplays
Southern Maryland Cosplay (Anyone can join)
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2017, 12:09 AM   #9
xRenascent
That crazy chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigouku Chou View Post
I would be interested in learning more about draping as a pattern making technique.
Seconding draping. I've only done it once but I could definitely improve on my draping skills.

Potential 2017 Cons
Anime Expo/Colorado Springs Comic Con/Nan Desu Kan

Social Media Links
[deviantArt] | [Facebook (non-personal)] | [Tumblr] | [Twitter] | [World Cosplay]

I also stream/upload videos:
[Youtube] | [Twitch]
xRenascent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2017, 08:34 AM   #10
Boy-son Ivy
I put the ! in rule 63!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapthefatcat View Post
Making patterns for armor without a dress form/mannequin/whatever. I'm trying to figure it out at the moment, especially since I am slightly too big for me to just wrap the foam around myself and mark it.
Try this classic method- get some clingy plastic wrap, and wrap it around your body,arm, wherever. Then get some duct tape and wrap it around where you wrapped. Mark up important areas like the center of your body, hip, waistlines, etc. Cut yourself out on one side and you have the size of your body. There are more permanent ways to make these but you can draw and cut right on the tape to get the exact shape.

Upcoming Projects 2017
  • DCEU Wonder Woman- 50%
  • Overwatch Symmetra- 0% (:/)

Tumblr- http://boyson-ivy.tumblr.com/
Boy-son Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2017, 04:01 PM   #11
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrickind View Post
Grading might be too much for an hour-long panel, but what about something about how to refit a pattern to yourself, with common fitting issues? Things like making something that otherwise fits longer/shorter for height, or doing adjustments for fuller or less full busts or hips, or how to combine pattern sizes if your proportions make it so you fall into different sizes for bust/hips/waist, etc.? Grading would take a lot of time to teach, since it's so complicated, but common fitting concerns to make an otherwise fitting pattern more tailored to you might be really helpful for a lot of people.
I like this idea. Grading sort of fits in with it in a way too. I'd love to talk about grading, but I'm pretty sure 1 hour isn't enough, and people need a visual demonstration of some kind. I can talk about it until I'm blue in the face, but will they really understand just from me talking? I had to do 2 semesters of grading (one manual, one digital) in classes that were 3 hours long each week, and while doing manual grading we spent an extra 2-3 hours weekly doing tutorial time with the professor to make sure we were doing it right.

I think your suggestion makes a lot of sense. The information people are looking for is not necessarily grading for multiple sizes, but making sure they know how to adjust a pattern for a body that doesn't fit standard pattern measurements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigouku Chou View Post
Draping might be fun! I have a love/hate relationship with draping. I would only be concerned about people possibly not being able to see what I'm doing if they're too far back