Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 06-17-2017, 08:44 PM   #1
MoonWingSamurai

Can't cosplay at con this year...how to get over disappointment?

So bummed I can't attend Anime Expo this year! (For once there is actually a Guest I wanted to see, but it's simply not possible for me to go.) Not only that, I won't be able to to cosplay at any con or event until (fingers crossed) 2018! Trying not to feel too depressed, but it really does suck. How do you get over the blues when you can't cosplay?

Unread 06-17-2017, 09:25 PM   #2
Maurishio-kun
17 forever!!

Can't cosplay just at cons or you can't cosplay at all? Have you tried making photoshoots?

"I have two dreams in my life: Going to Japan and throwing eggs to Jeannie Mai."

Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2017, 09:32 PM   #3
MoonWingSamurai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurishio-kun View Post
Can't cosplay just at cons or you can't cosplay at all? Have you tried making photoshoots?
No cosplay at all!
Unread 06-17-2017, 09:32 PM   #4
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

If you don't mind me asking, why are photoshoots not an option? It doesn't have to be crazy, just take a few pictures with friends. Or go to a gathering. I'm East Coast based but I assume the West Coast has a bunch of them as well.

For me, I had planned on going to Otakon and a bunch of people were hyped(myself included) about me finally being able to go to the con and see people I haven't seen in years. However due to money woes, that isn't happening.

I'm more or less just focusining on cosplaying in the local area and making things and trying not to think too much about it. There's always next year.

~Twitter~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2017, 08:21 PM   #5
gypsy_girl
Fan Girl

When I was living in Japan, I had a few days when it was way to hot to go out, so I stayed in, cranked the AC and cosplayed. I used the timer on my camera and learned a lot about my angles. Get together with your friends. Do a closet cosplay. Go on a Steampunk picnic. Go have fun.

The Thing (1982)
(the missing word was 'imitation')
gypsy_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2017, 11:50 PM   #6
Jigouku Chou
Survival Horror Addict

I'm in a similar situation. Can't go to AX due to lack of Vacation time from work. The way I'm trying to beat the blues is planning my cosplay for next years AX. Focusing on that helps not focus on what a bummer it is not being able to attend.
Anime Expo 2015 and 2016

::Upcoming Cons::
Nan Desu Kan 2017
Colorado Anime Fest 2018
Anime Expo 2018
Jigouku Chou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2017, 03:04 AM   #7
Angelx624
Left here but came back!

I'm not able to attend AX, either. It is a bummer because of everything happening and also the fact that my bf is going and I wish I could go and be with him(we don't see each other much sadly </3 ). But I'm trying to focus on D23 Expo which I am going to for one day(Sunday) and I'm really excited!

But yes, do try to get together with friends locally or attend a gathering close by. If no gatherings are happening, try hosting one? (I'm actually having withdrawals from hanging with local cosplay friends but there's many personal reasons why I haven't, lately. :X I don't have many local friends within my town like I used to, or rather haven't really kept in touch lately. ;_; )

2017 Cosplay outfits

Moana
Dia Kurosawa
Giroro
Gakupo(Duke Venomania)
Tifa(FF7)
etc.

Angelx624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2017, 01:44 PM   #8
Zoeyromanov
Performapal Leon

I felt that way about Frostcon this year, especially since Malindachan was attending, too! This happened with Anime North awhile back as well.
This is just me, but I usually just let it go because I know there are tons of cons for me to go, plus that will give me more time to work on elaborate/dream cosplays for Anime North since they're so far apart.
Maybe if you have a wishlist, you can plan out costumes ahead of time and start working on them little by little to pass the time. That way if you do have a con coming up, you've already started and have more money to buy merch and the ticket.
I see you wrote that you're hoping for 2018, and depending on how many cons you go you're a head of the game and don't have to worry about con crunch (not that that's a bad thing.)
You could possibly hang with friends around the house or arrange a photoshoot of some sort like everybody else suggested.
I know it's disappointing to not end up going, but remember the con isn't going anywhere, and there is always next year

Follow me:
Deviantart / Tumblr / Instagram

"My outfit makes me feel powerful, too."
Zoeyromanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2017, 06:23 PM   #9
belligerent
Viking Metal

you haven't really given us enough information to give targeted advice.

for instance, if your hiatus is due to medical issues, us suggesting doing physical things in the meantime to have fun in other ways is going to be useless. if your hiatus is due to a move or deployment, etc, those are also situations where most of the things people could suggest might not be relevant to your situation.

the most general advice we can give is basically "whatever you enjoy that is not cosplay, do that in the meantime." which you probably don't need us to tell you.

whatever it is, good luck.
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2017, 11:39 AM   #10
foxy
Professional Catgirl :)

I can definitely sympathise - I've not been able to attend a convention since GayMerX 2015, plus having no cosplay friends anywhere near me, or know anything about local gatherings I don't get out to do local cosplay either.

In the meantime I make more cosplay stuff, for the day I might be able to wear it!