Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 05-19-2016, 12:39 AM   #1
EmiBubble
Professional Loli

What do you do with scrap fabric?

When you're making your own cosplay, you're bound to be leftover with some scrap fabric.
What do you do with them???

Unread 05-19-2016, 01:30 AM   #2
jdcooper97
Huge Nerd

If the scraps are big enough I save it, if not I just toss it.

Debuted cosplays:
Link alt. outfit from "Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword"
The Every-Doctor from "Doctor Who"
Will debut this year:
Kylo Ren from "Star Wars"
Nora Valkyrie from "RWBY"
Gangplank from "League of Legends"

Cosplays I've worked on for others:
Deadshot from "Suicide Squad"
Zelda from "Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword"
Weeping Angel from "Doctor Who"
jdcooper97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2016, 02:12 AM   #3
micro-babe
Five Feet of POWAH!

I keep a lot of them around for fixing small tears and holes.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
micro-babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2016, 06:20 AM   #4
StarsOfCassiopeia
Sparkle & Shine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcooper97 View Post
If the scraps are big enough I save it, if not I just toss it.
That, basically. I have a separate bin for smaller scraps that I'll go through and toss bits from once it gets full.

Sometimes I'll also do fabric swaps with other cosplaying friends! I'll maybe end up with a yard or two of something I don't need (but that might be useful to a friend), and we'll trade for something that might be of more use to me!
  • Misc. Revamps (Various): 0% (Planning) Otakon 2016
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): ??% (Patterning) Katsucon 2017
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram // YouTube
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2016, 07:35 AM   #5
Clockwork_Ducky
Quack!

I'm actually in the process of making a costume out of my scraps. Because I realized I had a lot of them, and a lot of really awesome fabrics available to me. But I know this is not exactly a thing for everyone to try - that was a lot of piecing together of scraps over several months.

That being said, depending on the size of the scraps, there is actually a pretty good market on Etsy for grab bags of scrap pieces. People look for them to make doll clothing out of, or crazy quilts and the like.

Also, I always keep some pieces with me for mending and patching things on costumes on the go, because you never know when you might need to repair something.
Fix-it Faerie (Original Design), 1950s Housewife Bill Cipher (Gravity Falls... ish)

Clockwork_Ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2016, 07:42 AM   #6
Royalbakaness
Zombie Unicorn

I have a hard time throwing away extra pieces of crafting material since I tend to do a lot of projects (not always cosplay-related), and I never know when I may need even a scrap. So I save most of my scrap material (tiny pieces get tossed). I often use them for smaller projects, patching, or test stitches before working on the real thing.
Unread 05-19-2016, 08:05 AM   #7
Penlowe

Beware the fabric hoarding! seriously, it can get out of hand. I purged my crafting area last week and donated FOUR kitchen sized garbage bags of fabric. It was about 60 pounds total. I only reduced the total storage by one large plastic tote, still have 2 totes and eight large filing cabinet drawers full (but less crowded).

SAVE:
- difficult to find or expensive fabrics, half yard or more straight yardage. Not a yard with a bodice shaped hole, only unblemished yardage. Trim neat ends if pieces were cut from it. fold it, store away from sun & dust accumulation.
- any fabric you've dyed
- vintage fabrics if you have enough to make something from it.

RECYCLE: (donation or sell in lots)
- anything you can readily get more of at the fabric store. This includes but not limited to: broadcloth, twill, denim, velvet, satin, seasonal or character prints (really, once your niece outgrows the Sleeping Beauty pajamas you make her, you won't need more of that fabric)
- anything that is only long strips or odd triangles.

WHERE:
- The Quilt Guild of America takes donations of 100% cotton, any age, color or print. They use the donated fabrics to make amazing quilts for children in foster care, hospitals and refugees around the world.
- Scouts, both boy & girl. Use scraps to do all kinds of crafts and projects.
- animal shelters. cage liners, curtains to separate scared critters, toys and more. Usually bigger pieces are preferred, but if your local takes exotics, birds and small mammals can use small scraps.
- Boys & Girls Club. Like scouts, they use it for crafts. I donated a huge box of trims, lace ric-rac etc, I thought the lady was going to kiss me she was so excited.
- local elementary school art teacher. they do more crafty things in the lower grades than serious art, fabric scraps are always useful.

HOW:
- make sure it's clean. If you washed your fabric last week before cutting the item out, that's cool unless the cat has been sleeping on it. Lingerie bags are useful for washing small pieces.
- fold & label, most places prefer boxes to bags. really, it's just easier to use if you can sort through a stack than a mushy bag. I label it according to a rough list of whats inside "large pieces" 'strips of print fabric" "fancy stuff: velvet satin etc".
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2016, 08:09 AM   #8
Jacky_theNerd
English Teacher in China

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
Beware the fabric hoarding! seriously, it can get out of hand. I purged my crafting area last week and donated FOUR kitchen sized garbage bags of fabric. It was about 60 pounds total. I only reduced the total storage by one large plastic tote, still have 2 totes and eight large filing cabinet drawers full (but less crowded).

SAVE:
- difficult to find or expensive fabrics, half yard or more straight yardage. Not a yard with a bodice shaped hole, only unblemished yardage. Trim neat ends if pieces were cut from it. fold it, store away from sun & dust accumulation.
- any fabric you've dyed
- vintage fabrics if you have enough to make something from it.

RECYCLE: (donation or sell in lots)
- anything you can readily get more of at the fabric store. This includes but not limited to: broadcloth, twill, denim, velvet, satin, seasonal or character prints (really, once your niece outgrows the Sleeping Beauty pajamas you make her, you won't need more of that fabric)
- anything that is only long strips or odd triangles.

WHERE:
- The Quilt Guild of America takes donations of 100% cotton, any age, color or print. They use the donated fabrics to make amazing quilts for children in foster care, hospitals and refugees around the world.
- Scouts, both boy & girl. Use scraps to do all kinds of crafts and projects.
- animal shelters. cage liners, curtains to separate scared critters, toys and more. Usually bigger pieces are preferred, but if your local takes exotics, birds and small mammals can use small scraps.
- Boys & Girls Club. Like scouts, they use it for crafts. I donated a huge box of trims, lace ric-rac etc, I thought the lady was going to kiss me she was so excited.
- local elementary school art teacher. they do more crafty things in the lower grades than serious art, fabric scraps are always useful.

HOW:
- make sure it's clean. If you washed your fabric last week before cutting the item out, that's cool unless the cat has been sleeping on it. Lingerie bags are useful for washing small pieces.
- fold & label, most places prefer boxes to bags. really, it's just easier to use if you can sort through a stack than a mushy bag. I label it according to a rough list of whats inside "large pieces" 'strips of print fabric" "fancy stuff: velvet satin etc".
This info is awesome to have. I know what I'm doing with my scrap material from now on.

Jacky the Nerd's Blog (WordPress) All of my main content goes here.
Facebook Probably the easiest way to follow me.
Tumblr
Jacky_theNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2016, 08:56 AM   #9
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I've got a large tote bin and en entire cupboard full, due to doing Artist Alley crafts and my stint in fashion school where I kept EVERYTHING in case I could use it on a project. And Im moving in the summer so I need to downsize a little to make sure everything will fit in my designated storage space, which is less than what I have right now. But I have a lot of fabric left that I'll never use for product again but can't make into home decor/full costumes, so I'm making accessories out of the stuff to sell at my AA table or seeing what I can use for planned costumes. And I have some fabrics that while good for clothes, Id never personally wear (not my colour/style), so I offered to make some clothes for Mom out of the stuff. Fortunately all three of my "working on this year" costumes, I can recycle some amount of scrap. Dark Brotherhood robes I can recycle my leftover lycra for a comfy undershirt/pants and some red broadcloth and burgundy suede on the robes, Heather I can recycle more of my broadcloth for lining and foam armour and mistakenly purchased silver vinyl that's dang perfect for her armour,, and I can take a yard or two off of my Anastasia dress with a bunch of lovely pink duchesse satin I have left over plus any of my leftover cotton twill and quilting cotton for the corset.

EDIT- Also, any leftover knits and basic woven stuff like cotton twill and kona cotton, I keep for mockups, and to test stitching on my machine or other textile things like glues or painting (and for satins, appliques! I do a lot of them mixed with machine embroidery). And I've also stayed in the habit of making swatch books this year- if I bought the fabric and used it or will use it, a swatch gets labelled in a big binder of what it is, how much of it there is and what it cost. EXCELLENT for figuring out if I have something on hand without needing to dig through my piles. And if all I have left is a small scrap, it's easier to keep in case I want to match it to more fabric in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 05-23-2016 at 10:28 PM.
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2016, 09:09 AM   #10
Charlemagne
Champion of Kirkwall

Depending on the size of the remnants, I will save them, if they're a large enough piece of a fabric I know I will be using in the future. If I can't see that it has much use, I'll toss it. I also sometimes use remnants to do mock ups of costumes and patterns if they're a similar weight to the costume I'm going to make. It really helps when I'm drafting my own patterns and need to see how something will drape or lay in a similar fabric.

Hawke - Dragon Age (100%)
Neo Queen Serenity - Sailor Moon (Planned)
Leliana (Winter Palace) - Dragon Age (Planned)

Obi-Wan Kenobi - Star Wars (Planned)
Warden King Alistair - Dragon Age (10%)
Padme Amidala (Loyalist Committee Gown) - Star Wars (Planned)
Eowyn - Lord of the Rings (Planned)
Charlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2016, 11:54 AM   #11
Tiffany_Park

I save decently sized pieces (and have actually used some of them on other projects), and give smaller pieces to my quilter mom. She's what might be termed an unconventional quilter, and doesn't stick to the usual colors, fabrics, or patterns that more traditional quilters gravitate towards, so she loves mixing odd pieces of brocades, satins, broadcloth, etc. all in the same quilt.

Really small scraps (basically, anything under a few inches) I just toss.
Tiffany_Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2016, 07:34 PM   #12
CapsuleCorp
Future Pirate King

Thanks for the Quilt Guild info, Penlowe, our local ICG chapter has been looking for more places to donate scraps.

I likewise keep everything half a yard or greater, because you really do never know when you'll need or want it again. In my line of work as a commissioner, it's worth it to keep yardage of cottons and other utilitarian fabrics because it's much easier to pull a quarter-yard of yellow cotton out of my stash to piece a small emblem or trim for a customer's project than to go out and buy yardage. I have reused cottons from client to client often enough that it's what I just do. Considering that Hancock is now gone, I can no longer get their high-end non-stretch sateens and any scrap sateen in my bin is now worth its weight in gold. I even keep strips because I am often piecing trim, belts, etc where I only need a 2" wide strip. But I do my best to throw away anything smaller than a swatch or a fat quarter.

That said, what do I use them for? The very small lining pieces on neckties, for one. Trim, for another. We have a bin of scraps for testing embroidery on, when we don't want to ruin the good fabric but need to test out the stitch density. I also occasionally make small accessories (collars, cuffs, ascots/ties, etc) to sell on my Etsy, and that's all scrap and upcycling.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2016, 10:10 PM   #13
xRenascent
That crazy chick

When I finally move out next month, get settled, and when con season starts slowing down, I'm thinking about making a fox quilt out of my scraps.

Potential 2016 Cons
Denver Comic Con/Nan Desu Kan

Social Media Links
[deviantArt] | [Facebook (non-personal)] | [Tumblr] | [Twitter] | [World Cosplay]

I also stream/upload videos:
[Youtube] | [Twitch]
xRenascent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2016, 10:23 PM   #14
Mangochutney
probably a frackpants

Usually I use little scraps to stuff things. Who am I kidding though, sometimes it's big scraps too. You don't know how much fabric a big stuffed thing can absorb until you've used up all your little bits, then started on the medium bits, then started to wonder if you can spare any of your sheets or sweaters.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Your Mother [Debbie Does Dallas XXIII] (8%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2016, 11:46 PM   #15
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Make a mess....
No, I'm not even joking here..I actually am super lazy and just throw it in a pile on the floor until I feel like getting off my butt and cleaning up the mess..
At THAT point, it depends on the pieces. Things too small to use again go in the garbage, and the bigger pieces go into a FOLDED pile in the corner of my room so they can be used later.

-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-IF (Hyperdimension neptunia Re;Birth:1)
-Cloud (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Gohan (DBZ SSJ1 Cell Saga beat Up)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote