Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 09-18-2016, 10:36 PM   #1
Lauren78054

I need help with my first con/cosplay

Hi guys,
So I'm going to the ichibancon in December and this will be my first con. Are there any tips or pointers you guys have? I have no clue what I'm doing but I've looked into it a lot. Also I want to cosplay. I want to cosplay someone from hetalia. I haven't told my parents and they think hetalia is weird. Do you have any tips or pointer on how to tell them I want to cosplay? I am also the only anime fan in my family and they are VERY christian so I'm realy worried about how they will react. So please give me any sort of help because I don't know what to do.
Lauren78054 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-19-2016, 08:34 AM   #2
Penlowe

I am a parent of young teens, I am a Christian, and I cosplay.

In general as a parent, the more information you can share about the event and what happens there, the better. Bring a parent with you, it's the safest way to show them cons and dressing up are fun, safe, and generally don't encourage any values they disagree with (specific animes certainly, but not cons). Besides, it gives you an extra set of pockets

As a parent, it isn't the things my kids tell me about that makes me worry, it's what they don't tell me. Share, often and thoroughly. There are things my kids care about that I genuinely don't, but they talk to me about them and I listen patiently because communication is important. If you confuse your parent say "you are my mom (dad), I just want you to know what I enjoy. You enjoy [fill in anything you don't care about] and it isn't my thing but I know you enjoy it".
Sometimes parents have a hard time watching their kids become adults. If you act like a true adult in the process, it'll be easier for them to accept.

As a Christian, nothing in the bible denounces fantasy, hobbies, or enjoyment of crafting things, which in the broadest terms fits cosplay. Bonus: Did you know C.S. Lewis & Tolkien were really good friends? and went to the same church? The authors of some of the most iconic fantasy books of the 20th century were both strong Christians.

As to the specific cosplay you want to do: it isn't one I've watched. Watch it with your parent(s). If you can't or won't do that because they wouldn't approve, then you are acting like a kid and not an adult by hiding it from them. Don't hide. Back burner it for a time when you won't need their approval and pick something else suitable to share/ wear.

Last, this statement bothers me a lot:
Quote:
only anime fan in my family and they are VERY christian
You did not include yourself in that title. Frankly I'd like you to let them read my whole post. As a growing adult it's certainly your prerogative to make those choices, but the fact that you are separating yourself already doesn't bode well at all, not for your relationship with your family or your spiritual well being. We all question and search. Anime is fun to watch, cosplay is fun to do, but neither have any relevance on the state of your soul.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2016, 08:39 AM   #3
Killerangel666
You have Cheetohs?

Congrats on your first con! Are you just doing a day or a weekend?

1. Remember to eat, I know it feels like the excitement can fuel your body, but trust me you'll regret going the whole con without eating. Some of us actually stop for lunch, others just bring some healthy/energy filled snacks (and no I don't mean energy drinks).

2. Make sure you have everything you need the night before you leave, nobody wants to be late because they're rushing around the morning of trying to grab everything or even end up forgetting something in the rush. This means cosplay pieces, snacks, even fill up on gas the night before, oh and your money so you can buy awesome stuff.

3. Bring deodorant, even if only doing the con for a day. You're going to be stuck in a room with thousands of people, you'd be surprised how much AC that eats up. You will sweat, especially if it's in the summer or if you're just from a warmer place in general.

4. Bring a good attitude! Most people are excited and in a very happy mood anyway at a con, but there are some jerks. Starting off with a good attitude could help from becoming another jerk if you have the misfortune to run into one, or seeing your good attitude might pull somebody else out a funk if they just ran into one of the people with a negative attitude or even if for whatever they're in a blah mood to begin with.

5. Have fun!

If you're staying multiple days then it really boils down to pre-planning. Making sure you've made hotel reservations prior in advance, again that everything is packed, even planning where you'll be eating or if your hotel room has a little kitchenette in it, it also means having somebody that will be checking in on or house or looking after your pets while you're away.

As for telling your parents you are cosplaying.....

Be polite and respectful when telling them, don't act like a brat.
Explain to them that this is what people do to show appreciation for a fandom they like, does everybody cosplay? No, but it is so much fun!

It also lets you meet other people that are into the specific fandoms that you are, a lot of people meet at cons and become friends, either just somebody to talk to online or even ones they actually hang out with and it's because they saw the other person cosplaying a character from a series they like. Does this mean you're going to get along with every person cosplaying from your favorite series? No, however at the least it gives you both a few minutes of heightened enjoyment from conversation and cosplaying at the con. (Note: I'm assuming you're about high school age, so you might want to phrase it that it could lead you to making friends of your own age, I know some parents -and rightly so- getting a little nervous about their kids meeting new people)

I've used this too when trying to explain cosplaying to a cousin,
"You know how you're little sister reaaaaally likes the Disney princesses and couldn't decide which one she wanted to be for Halloween and you're mom had to buy like five different outfits? Well, cons are for older fans who still have things like that they love and not only can we celebrate our fandoms on Halloween, but now there are these big conventions for every fandom imaginable and you get to dress up for multiple days most of the time and meet people you actually have interests in common with." I'm the only dork in my family that's really into this kind of stuff -though I think I'm turning my mom into one- lol, It's not the best explanation, but he seemed to understand that we do this for enjoyment, to show off skills we learned while making our cosplays, and to meet people with similar interests, and of course showing off our love of our fandoms.

Speaking of skills, if you're making your cosplay, you could tell them that it'll help you learn how to sew and such.

Try talking to them separately, pick the one you think is more likely to say yes after explaining your case, then have them go with you to talk to the other one as back up.

As for them thinking your show is weird, I've been watching anime since i was ten or eleven, and I've seen some that I think our weird too lol, that's all a matter of personal tastes. The point is to explain to them that that's one of your animes that you love and you really want to do this all while, like I said, being respectful, they are your parents and their decision, like it or not, is the one you have to go with. You'll get a lot further and probably the answer you want if you take the time to explain to them why instead of demanding or acting like a temper tantrum throwing toddler.

I hope they say yes and you have a lot of fun at your first convention!
Killerangel666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2016, 09:55 AM   #4
Syon
leads the crusade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post

Last, this statement bothers me a lot: You did not include yourself in that title. Frankly I'd like you to let them read my whole post. As a growing adult it's certainly your prerogative to make those choices, but the fact that you are separating yourself already doesn't bode well at all, not for your relationship with your family or your spiritual well being. We all question and search. Anime is fun to watch, cosplay is fun to do, but neither have any relevance on the state of your soul.
Some kids face the burden of growing up in a family, that they simply to not relate to in terms of mindset and/or religion. Thats not the fault of those kids and forcefully trying to adapt to their parents views isn't a "spiritual" healthy thing either.

@Lauren: I fear there is no way around it, you may need to talk to your parents sooner or later. And you rather want them to not find out that you have hidden your activities from them, because that will definitly make them think you are doing something bad. Just be prepared on how to present your new hobby to them in the best way possible.

On the convention part: There are a lot of helpful lists and even videos on what to bring to a convention and I would definitly check out the website of the convention to see, if there is a shedule of panels and activites, so you can plan what you want to do.

Working on: Paletress (50%) + upgrading Jainas staff with lights
Next convention: ?

Last edited by Syon : 09-19-2016 at 10:00 AM.
Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2016, 11:51 AM   #5
Penlowe

Quote:
Some kids face the burden of growing up in a family, that they simply to not relate to in terms of mindset and/or religion.
The point of my statement was in hopes of the OP sharing it with their parents, it's aimed at them. The message to the parents is: if your teen doesn't understand the church that you have taken them to since birth, you as a parent are failing, do something about that.

I realize I opened a can of worms and it wasn't my intent to have a debate, but to send a message through to another parent. A good relationship within a family is worth working at.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2016, 02:56 PM   #6
Lauren78054

Thanks for your advice I'm goig to ask them sometime soon so I hope it goes well. Oh and about the christian thing I'm at a confusing time in my life where I'm questioning everything and please don't fight about it I put it in there because the anime I want to cosplay can become very gay very fast and my family dosent support them. But thanks so much for everything !
Lauren78054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2016, 08:31 PM   #7
Magyarita
The Cutest Little They

Maybe show them episodes without the gay parts?

Like others said, be mature and respectful when asking your parents to let you cosplay. Explain what it is, and what people do at conventions. Your parents may have heard weird stuff about cosplay from others or the media, (like how CSI is the reason that a lot of people think that fur cons are just people in fursuits having orgies) so show them that it's just good clean fun like most other hobbies.

Timing is also important. Ask them when they are relaxed, in a good mood, and when there is plenty of time to discuss cosplay. If you try to ask them when they're stressed, in a bad mood, or rushed, then they'll be less likely to hear your out.

Be prepared to make compromises or follow their rules, especially if they're strict. They may come with you, not allow boys in your hotel room, (or for you to even have a hotel room) may restrict what type of cosplay you can wear, (i.e. no sexy/demonic/gay/etc. characters) or expect you home by a certain time. Don't protest these rules, show that you're mature and willing to work with them.

And if they don't let you go and/or cosplay, then worst case scenario you'll have to wait a few years until they either think you're old enough to, or you're an adult. (I assume you're a teenager.) Don't try to go to cons or cosplay behind their backs, you'll lose their trust and they'll be less likely to be okay with you doing other things too. Cosplay isn't worth that.

Good luck!

Moon Moxxi: Borderlands Pre-Sequel
Anastasia: Anastasia
Saul Goodman: Breaking Bad
Benny Gecko: Fallout: New Vegas
Momoko Koigakubo: Ghost Stories (Dub)
Cameron Van Buren -- MPGiS
Malory Archer: Archer
Deandra: MPGiS
Kamala Khan: Ms. Marvel
Vader Eloha/The Queen: OFF
Princess Suwa: Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan