Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 08-05-2014, 12:00 PM   #1
Randommerade
Princess of Heart

How to save money for cosplay as a minor?

I'm 16, and used to have an under-the-table job that payed well for my age, but she had to shut down. While I'm hunting for a new job, what do you guys suggest for making money? I'm planning on trying to sell some of my old cosplays that I don't wear anymore, and while I could make some money doing that, I have a con coming up in a few months and I need to help fund that. Any suggestions?
Navi (Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)
Kairi (Kingdom Hearts II)
Planned Cosplays
Oerba Dia Vanille (Final Fantasy 13)
Luka (Just Be Friends)
Firefox (Mozilla Firefox Internet Browser)
Lone Wanderer (Fallout 3) **Not Confirmed**
Randommerade is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-05-2014, 12:12 PM   #2
kandell
the cookie angel

Mowing lawns or other similar things you could do for neighbors is usually easy enough to find. Baby sitting, too.

Anime Iowa '14
Asuna Yuuki
Ren Hakuei
Sam Manson

Nebraskon '14
Ren Hakuei
*Surprise*
Makoto Tachibana (genderbent)
*Surprise*
Simon Tam (genderbent)
kandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #3
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

At 16 you can do pretty much any retail minimum wage job. My word of advice, make fast food your last option, it's easy enough to get, but you can get paid the same for doing less work imo. It's pretty easy to get a job as a cashier or just stocking shelves somewhere on the weekends and after school. Since you don't have bills at this age, it all goes into your pocket.

Are you good at certain subjects in school? Or playing a musical instrument? You can put some advertisements around town and tutor or teach elementary school students. I tutored math and English when I was in high school for kids who were in grade 5-8. I wasn't even that great at math, but my student was only in grade 5, so it didn't matter. You can charge up to like $20/hour for tutoring. And I also taught piano to little kids and made a killing when I was only 14.

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2014, 11:10 PM   #4
kuroi_shi
Nerd Girl

When I was 16, I had a very hard time finding a job.. so to save money for conventions, I did a lot of babysitting..
I also did painting commissions..
If you have a sewing machine, you could also do clothing alterations for people.
Unread 08-06-2014, 07:50 AM   #5
Hello Goodbye

One of the best paying and easiest jobs I ever had was dog walking. I walked the dog across the street for like half and hour to forty five minutes and I got payed really well. It was easy and fun (I LOVE the dog, she is such a sweetie). Unfortunately, I could only do it for a summer because my school schedule didn't line up with her owner's work schedule, and I was sooooo sad when I had to stop. So I'd try that.

I also worked as a tutor and that was good. It was good money and was pretty easy. Put up signs in your local library that say what subjects you are good in and how much you charge an hour.
Tamaki Suoh-Ouran Highschool Host Club (Complete!)
Haru-Tsuritama (Complete!)
Minami (Avatar!)- Baka and Test (10% Complete)
Other Ideas: Crona (Soul Eater),Lavi (D. Gray Man),Ginko (Mushi-shi), Finny (Black Butler), Kyo (Fruits Basket), Sue (Clover)
Hello Goodbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #6
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

You're 16, so you can work at most restaurants and stores. (Some do have 18+ limits as company policy, though.)
One easy way of getting a lot of job applications quick is to walk around a mall and ask the manager of every store/restaurant that you're interested in if they're hiring. I have several to fill out now from my local mall. (I probably should be doing that instead of being on here...)

Currently working on:
Momoko Koigakubo -- Ghost Stories (Dub)
Scarlett O'Hara Drapery Dress -- Gone With the Wind
Deandra -- MPGiS
Anna Cornonation Dress -- Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen -- OFF
Princess Suwa -- Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

My favorite cosplays:
Brittnay Matthews -- MPGiS
Mom Lalonde -- Homestuck
Princess Kenny -- South Park

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
EvilLittleKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2014, 09:46 PM   #7
TunaTetrazzini
Beatbox Champion

In addition to the other suggestions, you could also open up an Etsy store and sell items- necklaces bracelets, custom orders and pretty much anything you can think of. Have a popular fandom you're in? Then you can make something related to it, like cute keychains or props from that particular show/game/etc. Etsy's possibilities are endless~
- Madoka Kaname -PMMM
- Aoi Asahina -DR

NAN DESU KAN 2014
- Hanji Zoe -SnK
- (secret costume)
- Nagisa Hazuki/Thug seme -Free 50% OFF

Maybe later/In the works
- Mink -DMMD
- Ryuko Matoi -KLK
- Videl (short hair)-DBZ
TunaTetrazzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2014, 09:22 AM   #8
alpha_helix
beer + costumes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzymonochrome View Post
At 16 you can do pretty much any retail minimum wage job. My word of advice, make fast food your last option, it's easy enough to get, but you can get paid the same for doing less work imo. It's pretty easy to get a job as a cashier or just stocking shelves somewhere on the weekends and after school. Since you don't have bills at this age, it all goes into your pocket.

Are you good at certain subjects in school? Or playing a musical instrument? You can put some advertisements around town and tutor or teach elementary school students. I tutored math and English when I was in high school for kids who were in grade 5-8. I wasn't even that great at math, but my student was only in grade 5, so it didn't matter. You can charge up to like $20/hour for tutoring. And I also taught piano to little kids and made a killing when I was only 14.
Yep, this is what I was going to suggest. The only especially crappy part of a retail job is when you get bad customers or have to do a return. See if any fabric stores or craft stores near you are accepting applications, then you might be able to get an employee discount. Also, I believe minors get tax exemptions, or maybe it was an exemption for making under a certain amount in the year. I'm not sure, I just remember that when I worked at a summer camp the teenage counsellors didn't have to pay as much in taxes as I did. Definitely look into that more!

And then there are also many great non "real job" options. Baby/pet/house sitting, tutoring, yard work. Put flyers around your neighborhood
youtu be channel! Facebook Page
alpha_helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2014, 01:29 PM   #9
Stardust Spirit

Have any craft skills you could put for sale?
Stardust Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #10
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunaTetrazzini View Post
In addition to the other suggestions, you could also open up an Etsy store and sell items- necklaces bracelets, custom orders and pretty much anything you can think of. Have a popular fandom you're in? Then you can make something related to it, like cute keychains or props from that particular show/game/etc. Etsy's possibilities are endless~
Honestly, imo the whole Etsy thing may or may not really make you any money. And sometimes it's more effort than it's worth. You have to factor in your shipping materials and how often/how far you have to go to the post office to mail things, and how much time it takes for you to make things. You have to invest your time and money into making something, and then it may not even sell. (Yep I tried selling buttons, keychains, and craft jewelry on Etsy, and all of it is still in a box under my desk). A lot of things on there are a dime a dozen, and other people have driven down prices on things like keychains and little crafts so much that it's not a totally feasible way to make pocket money without a ton of effort on your part that you may not be willing to put in it.
If you're the kind of person who can stick with it and make it worth your while, then by all means. But there really are much easier and sure ways to make money.

And don't you need a PayPal account? But say if you're spending 5 hours each weekend making stuff, and only a few items actually sell, then you have to package it and take it to the post office during the week, that's a lot of time that was unpaid for which you could have just done paid work instead.

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs

Last edited by dizzymonochrome : 08-07-2014 at 01:45 PM.
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2014, 02:26 PM   #11
Randommerade
Princess of Heart

Thanks for all the tips, guys! I'm also going school shopping soon and my mom usually gives me $200-300 for that, she used to go shopping with me but now she just lets me go by myself or with friends. What I usually do is spend around $100-150, sometimes even less by hunting through the clearance and sale racks and buying things that are good deals (I'm actually a penny pincher on anything other than some parts of cosplay and gifts for others and hate overspending money so I do that anyway) and store away the rest for cosplay. And some general advice I learned from experience. Though shopping with friends is more fun, it's better to not go with them because they'll either positively pressure you into buying things (buy that $25 top! It's sooooo cute on you!) or mooch off of you if you have lots of money (for food, cheap clothes, accessories etc). Just a word of advice.
Navi (Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)
Kairi (Kingdom Hearts II)
Planned Cosplays
Oerba Dia Vanille (Final Fantasy 13)
Luka (Just Be Friends)
Firefox (Mozilla Firefox Internet Browser)
Lone Wanderer (Fallout 3) **Not Confirmed**
Randommerade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2014, 09:30 PM   #12
jade_87

Do some baby sitting. Maybe a yard sale.
jade_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2014, 07:33 PM   #13
Emmejo

If you have cosplays you are trying to sell, you could also consider trading them for cosplays you want or their components in the marketplace here. So if you have a blue wig you won't use, you might be able to swap it for a blonde one. Or even non-cosplay items, if you have some anime you never watch or comics that were a gift, but aren't your thing, someone might take those as part-payment. You aren't allowed to list non-cosplay items for sale here, but you can contact sellers and ask if they would be interested in a trade or partial-trade.
Emmejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2014, 02:35 PM   #14
Lustyyxo

I agree with whoever mentioned etsy. Spiked garters sell for around $35, and cost $3 to make because elastic = 0.99/metre, and spikes come in a wholesale pack for around 1.99. I also take cosplay commissions, as well as being a graphic designer. Aha

In Progress cosplays: Jinx (LoL) - 0%, Heartseeker Ashe (LoL) - Pattern Made.

I take cosplay commissions :3
Lustyyxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2014, 02:06 AM   #15
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lustyyxo View Post
I agree with whoever mentioned etsy. Spiked garters sell for around $35, and cost $3 to make because elastic = 0.99/metre, and spikes come in a wholesale pack for around 1.99. I also take cosplay commissions, as well as being a graphic designer. Aha
My boyfriend's sister told me about how people on Etsy take thrift shop heels, tear up newspapers/comic books/magazines, etc. and modge podge the pieces onto the heels until they're covered. She and I were both confused at why people pay so much for something that's so simple to make.

Currently working on:
Momoko Koigakubo -- Ghost Stories (Dub)
Scarlett O'Hara Drapery Dress -- Gone With the Wind
Deandra -- MPGiS
Anna Cornonation Dress -- Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen -- OFF
Princess Suwa -- Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

My favorite cosplays:
Brittnay Matthews -- MPGiS
Mom Lalonde -- Homestuck
Princess Kenny -- South Park

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses