Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 01-29-2016, 11:03 AM   #1
Blood_Sword
Sword boy!

Thumbs up Cosplay disaster masters!

Hello fellow cosplayers!

Has anyone else ever had disaster after disaster happen to them while working on a cosplay?
I had it happen during my latest cosplay project and man was it horrible. I was making a sword and working with worbla for the second time ever. I decided to use the sandwich method for the first time and everything that could possibly go wrong went wrong. xD
To give you an idea: my worbla almost tore, got stuck on a metallic tray and ended up literally stealing its intricate print, the craft foam details moved during the bonding process so that the front and back don't match, I got a huge-ass air bubble trapped inside, dirt from my protection gloves got stuck on the worbla's surface etc. And to top it all of, during another part of the same cosplay project, my almost unused can of expanding foam exploded and ruined my pants, shoes and almost my hoodie!

Read more about my disaster master episode here (and see photo proofs!): http://valkoinensamurai.blogspot.com...wip-part1.html

Anyone else who is also followed by bad luck lately? Share with me your stories!
I can't be the only one who is as lucky as Donald Duck, lol.
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-29-2016, 02:38 PM   #2
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Don't know if this is really a cosplay disaster as it didn't actually ruin my cosplay, or even effect it in any way..But it happened while I was making my cosplay..My dumb ass actually stabbed myself with my sewing machine needle last night..Like it was the tip of my finger and the very tip od my fingernail, but it went all the way through and ripped my skin there..It hurts like a mofo..
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-IF (Hyperdimension neptunia Re;Birth:1)
-Gohan (GBZ SSJ1 Cell Saga beat Up)
Jei-Cos is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2016, 03:40 PM   #3
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

MY WHOLE WEEK. UGH. I've messed up something on everything this week, that has taken extra time or will take another day to fix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2016, 03:44 PM   #4
StarsOfCassiopeia
Sparkle & Shine!

Sliced my hand open one time with a rotary cutter, and almost bled all over a white satin ballgown skirt. Whooooooooooo. (Duct tape is a surprisingly good bandage though)
  • Pyrrha Nikos (RWBY): 56% (Weapon Work) Katsucon 2016
  • Pyrrha Nikos Weapons (RWBY): 50% (Carving Sword) Katsucon 2015
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook // Instagram
StarsOfCassiopeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2016, 03:55 PM   #5
KittytheSheGeek
Geek Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsOfCassiopeia View Post
Sliced my hand open one time with a rotary cutter, and almost bled all over a white satin ballgown skirt. Whooooooooooo. (Duct tape is a surprisingly good bandage though)
It totally is. When I was in university (for technical theatre) I burned my hand really badly on a flat iron about 20 minutes before curtain up on opening night. I was an assistant stage manager for the production, so I was BUSY, and my very first job when the show started was to literally pull and tie off a rope to get rid of a hanging set piece right after the opening scene. I had no time to take care of my burn properly, so I hacked off a piece of aloe vera, stuck it against my hand, and wrapped it up in toilet paper and duct tape. It got me through the whole show xD

[C|O|S|P|L|A|Y]
My anti-drug.
KittytheSheGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2016, 06:46 PM   #6
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

Went through this with my Heaven's Feel Sakura(F/SN) cosplay. The pattern wasn't right for her and every time I tried to fix it, it just made everything worse. I scraped that cosplay due to how much of a pain it was.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2016, 07:50 PM   #7
Reily96
Zelda & Kimono Obsessed

My Rarity cosplay definitely felt like that. It was awful, if only because of the skirt. The pattern instructions weren't written well at all - as a result, I cut out a looooot more fabric than I needed, attempted to gather all of it, and sew it on. Suffice it to say, it didn't work. On top of that, because I misunderstood how much fabric I needed, I had to go and buy more fabric. It ended up being a massive waste of time and money, and I just remember so clearly just sitting down in the pile of ungathered skirt panels and just crying.

Luckily, I can claim that I haven't had anything like that happen again, but I'm sure it's bound to happen again sooner or later.
Kagerou (Fire Emblem: Fates) - 63%
Foleo (Fire Emblem: Fates) - planning
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2016, 01:38 AM   #8
fabrickind
Aspiring Senpai

Nothing quite as bad as OP's, but I've had quite a few mess-ups. It comes with the territory, really.

One of the worst was when my Pearl spear broke 2 days before the con. I almost just sat down and cried with the broken pieces in my hand.

I've also had entire costumes that haven't worked out. My 3AM dress is pretty bad and would need to be entirely redone if I were to wear it again (which I've considered, but idk if I want to put that much effort into remaking a Homestuck cosplay, with how dead the fandom has become...maybe once the comic finishes I'll do it as an homage and do a shoot). I only wore it once, and it looked okay enough, but it has so many issues that it's practically unwearable.
fabrickind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2016, 03:55 AM   #9
Helara

Hmm I've had a few but I put it down to being a beginner and learning as I go. I broke my dagger when I was juggling it around and dropped it; it broke at a weak point where the blade section entered the dowel for the grip so gluing it would only mean it could break in the exact same spot so I will be redesigning that. Meant I could make a better one using some modelling tools to help shape the epoxie sculpt nicer.
Helara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2016, 03:29 PM   #10
Amanita

The morning of the convention, I was riveting a few leather pieces together- the last pieces of my armor. I went to attach the overlay plates of my bracer to the main cuff itself, and after I had set two rivets, I realized the damn thing was upside down. Yes, upside down. And I lacked the tools to dig the rivets out. I just sat there and cried, literally. Fortunately my dad came down to the basement where I was working, and he got me straightened out in short order with a pair of side cutting pliers and a screwdriver. However, I managed to gouge my thumb with said screwdriver, trying to pry up the rivet so the pliers could get to it. Ouch.
Unread 01-30-2016, 03:54 PM   #11
WondererBailey
o3o)/

-cries a little inside-

Fairly recently I was working on two costumes for Newcon PDX, Naja Gref (Sands of Destruction) and Maid Makoto (Free!)....I was nearly done with both of them, I just had the tops basically left....well...the tops were 90% sewn together, I went to try them on but they were TO SMALL! Totally ripped all the seams out even with a binder on....FML....

Thankfully it was only the tops but I'd put a lot of work into them only to have them be to small. The Naja shirt I can understand since I had basically made the pattern myself with past success...though it didn't work for this one lolsob. But for the maid top....the pattern clearly said it was an adult size costume, I always go with the largest size just to be safe....this was the largest size and there was no way in HECK that was an XL.

But anyway...it was just the tops...everything else was turning out great-ish....I'll just have to find an alternative method to finish them. Perhaps for Kumoricon or Yaoicon....whichever one I decide to attend.

Sanzo - [Saiyuki Reload] - 5% / England - [Axis Powers Hetalia] - 95%
Naja Gref - [Sands of Destruction] - 85% / Sailor Scouting Legion uniform - [SnK/Sailor Moon] -0% / Makoto Tachibana (maid) - [Free!] - 95%

2016 Cons: Sakuracon - Yaoicon/or/Kumoricon

Deviantart - Facebook - Tumblr - World Cosplay - Cospix
WondererBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2016, 06:10 PM   #12
CezzaXV
OOOH! SHOCK TREATMENT!

This might sound crazy, but every time I've watched The Hunger Games while working on my cosplay, I've ended up having to scrap that thing for various reasons. Just doesn't turn out as well as it needed to.

I love the film but can't watch it while working on cosplay, it's cursed!
CezzaXV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2016, 06:59 PM   #13
xRenascent
That crazy chick

I swear, every time I work on something, something goes wrong.

I was trying to add some pleather trim to a curved area, and I wasn't paying close attention to where I was sewing. The fabric pinched a little and I had to undo it...on top of that, I can't really cover up the hole where the needle went through that easily.

Social Media Links
[deviantArt] | [Facebook (non-personal)] | [Tumblr] | [Twitter] | [World Cosplay]

I also stream/upload videos:
[Youtube] | [Twitch]
xRenascent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2016, 09:57 PM   #14
Chibi_Hiei

I sliced through my thigh with an x-acto knife while working on my 3D maneuver gear 2 years ago. I had to go to the ER and get my skin glued back together. Luckily the hospital is practically right behind my apartment. I also dropped something I was hot glueing for my gear right onto my leg while I was wearing shorts. I gave myself 2nd degree burns on my leg and 1st degree burns on my fingers.

I swear that costume was cursed...lmao

Mephisto (Blue Exorcist) -40% done
Chibi_Hiei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2016, 11:16 PM   #15
loz64

When I was working on my first costume from scratch I refused to use a stretch knit for my top. Turns out, I would have actually been able to put it on if I had made it from a stretch knit. I ended up cutting the bodice and putting in a side zipper, making it look pretty bad from the outside, and I still couldn't fit into it without nearly dislocating my arms first. I ended up winning a prize in the masquerade I attended with that costume despite the awful job on my top. I learned my lesson and the current version of my costume has a stretch knit bodice!

The night before a convention I had my star wand for my Rosalina costume on the hotel bed with me. Without thinking, I rolled over onto it and heard a sickening crunch. I ended up having to rush home to repair it before I could wear the costume

I also have a little store where I'm offering a few resin cast pieces for cosplay: http://mythrilarts.storenvy.com/
loz64 is offline   Reply With Quote