Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 08-28-2014, 12:02 PM   #1
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

Not "CONnable" cosplays?

Do you have any cosplays you've said you'd never take to a con?

In my case it's a probable no with my crossplays, you know, I'd like to take them to cons, in fact I'd be REALLY happy if I took my Izumi cosplay to a con this year, but you know, male-female crossplay is not very well seen here and I'm afraid of being bullied for cosplaying a girl, and since I have no friends to do photoshots with I guess I'm limiting it to taking photos of myself at my bedroom, since I don't want my family to know I'm cosplaying a girl.

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 50%
Leo (Barra / SuperCracks (Original) 45%
Izumi (Digimon Frontier) 30%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-
Maurishio-kun is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-28-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
Syon

I'm a cosplay beginner, so I have one cosplay finished, one in progress and another that my mind is beginning to think about. All of them will be "con-able", because I only make cosplays for the whole purpose of having that couple of awsome days once or twice a year. They are simply too expensive to just have them sit at home.

I think your crossplays are con-able too. Inside the con, you are surrounded by fellow geeks and cosplayers and nearly all of them will understand what you are doing and you will maybe even meet a few male crossplayers aswell. And even outside of the con, most of the time you will just get a weird stare here and there, but most people aren't that much of an asshole to say something mean. And if you feel uncomfortable, try to change your clothes at the convention.

Next cosplay: Paladin tier 16 from WoW (blue/silver version)
Syon is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
Ilafatyu
That guy

Kasuka (DRRR) is mine. I'll never bring him to a convention because, though one of my favorites in the series, he will not be recognizable even with my Shizuo. Maybe the next season will change that (I'm so friggin excited for January), but probably not.
...Which is okay because he was my cheapest cosplay.

I don't know what the cosplay culture is like in Costa Rica, but if you feel unsafe crossplaying I understand your reluctance to do it in public.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Lie Ren (uniform - RWBY) - 35%
Connie (SnK) - 1%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2014, 12:37 PM   #4
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilafatyu View Post
I don't know what the cosplay culture is like in Costa Rica
Well, we have all kinds of cosplayers here, female-male crossplay here is very common, but it's really hard to see male-female crossplayers, I've just seen two here, one did a great Jade (Mortal Kombat) crossplay, apparently it had good acceptance at the con, though people reacted when he said by microphone his name, very few people in social networks talked good about him even knowing he was a boy, while the rest said he was nasty. The other one cosplayed Sakura (Street Fighter) and I took a pic of him, my friend and I didn't know he was a guy until we saw the photo, when he realized he said that was nasty.

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 50%
Leo (Barra / SuperCracks (Original) 45%
Izumi (Digimon Frontier) 30%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-

Last edited by Maurishio-kun : 08-28-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Maurishio-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2014, 12:47 PM   #5
YuPuffin
Claims to be a puffin

My un-connable cosplay is Austria (Hetalia). Originally, I just got an Austria cosplay because I had a big group of friends who frequently had Hetalia cosplay meetups, and I wanted to join in without standing out like a sore thumb cosplaying a Vocaloid, but they moved on to other things, so now I just cosplay Austria when I feel like taking some pictures.

I haven't brought my Austria cosplay to a con so far, and don't plan to, either. I've only seen a little bit of Hetalia and I'm not very familiar with it, and I feel my Austria cosplay is more of a casual cosplay-type outfit than be a really serious cosplay. That is, I kind of just wear it, and I don't try too hard to look like Austria. xP

Upcoming Cosplays
Devit (D.Gray-man) - Halloween 2014 [maybe]
Rosalie (Tactics) - Early 2015

Cosplays I want to do later
Lucidia (Original character), Sakumo (UTAU), Senkro (Spectrobes), Aihi (Kekkaishi), Keiichi Shimizu (La Corda d'Oro)
YuPuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2014, 12:59 PM   #6
builder396
Crossplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurishio-kun View Post
Do you have any cosplays you've said you'd never take to a con?

In my case it's a probable no with my crossplays, you know, I'd like to take them to cons, in fact I'd be REALLY happy if I took my Izumi cosplay to a con this year, but you know, male-female crossplay is not very well seen here and I'm afraid of being bullied for cosplaying a girl, and since I have no friends to do photoshots with I guess I'm limiting it to taking photos of myself at my bedroom, since I don't want my family to know I'm cosplaying a girl.
Dont let that keep you. I was a bit unsure at first do about my own crossplay at first, but I got over it and people loved it. Even if MtF crossplay is less accepted, what are they gonna do about it? They cant do anything more than SAY stuff, but they cant physically do anything about it. And if people really talk crap about you, then they obviously didnt even understand crossplay atr all in the first place.

Next Cosplay:
Hatsune Miku (Vocaloid)

Planned cosplays:
Char B1 (Its a TANK, its not from an anime, unless you mean Girls und Panzer)
Kaito Kid (Detective Conan/Case Closed and Magic Kaito)
builder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2014, 01:00 PM   #7
ChibiDannimon

The costumes That I consider "non conable" would be anything made out of Latex.

Its just not a practical material for walking the show floor. It looks fantastic for photoshoots or even for contests, but anything else.. just impractical and uncomfortable.

2014 Cosplays

Black Widow - The Avengers (Comic Book Version)
Sailor Galaxia - Sailor Stars
Rosa/Mei - Pokemon Black and White 2
Finn - Adventure Time
Ben Tennyson - Ben 10 Omniverse
Takato - Digimon 03
Rei Ryugazaki - Free!
ChibiDannimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2014, 01:37 PM   #8
Khorrupt

My only "non-conable" costume is probably Robin. I love Robin so much that was incredibly disappointed when it turned out as badly as it did, but hey, I can always re-make it, I suppose.

~2014 Cosplay~
~W.A. Mozart [ Place Je Passe ] (Mozart l'Opera Rock) - FINISHED
~Silkie [ Kigurumi ] (Teen Titans) - FINISHED
~Ryuk (Death Note) - FINISHED
~Elsa [ Ice Dress ] (Frozen) - FINISHED
~Regency TARDIS (Doctor Who) - FINISHED
~The Winter Soldier (CA: TWS) - 15% complete
~Princess Aurora (Sleeping Beauty) - 0% complete
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2014, 03:08 PM   #9
Eldi
Sneak thief

I have one that's an original design forest elf, I really like the costume but I'd never wear it to a con because I prefer to wear any of my specific character cosplays over that one, because those are cosplays I wouldn't really wear anywhere else. The elf one I'd probably wear for Halloween or a ran faire, though so far I haven't worn it out anywhere, and I made it over a year ago
Spellthief Lux- League of Legends

Cosplays in Progress:
Rose Quartz- Steven Universe
Elin Sorcerer- Tera Rising
Mirai Kuriyama- Beyond the Boundary
Eldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2014, 03:53 PM   #10
foxy
Professional Catgirl :)

I'd say for me, it's just Pink from Dragon Pink. Her dress is just a bit more revealing than anything else I'd wear at conventions - and I've always been a bit body conscious.
foxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #11
DiscoGlacier

I crossplay at every convention/gathering, so it's second nature to me. However, I'm also modest, and would never wear anything too revealing (i.e. going shirtless).
DiscoGlacier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #12
JediofTime
Use the Triforce Link

I feel that way with my older cosplays of Jedi Link. When I make a new version, I immediately retire the older one.

Franklin Delano Roosevelt: "Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort."

Conventions Attending:
2015 Anime LA
2015 Anime Expo

Costumes:
Jedi Link 1.0 Complete
Jedi Link 2.0 Complete
Hero's Shade: base patterns done. 5% complete.
Future Cosplay plans:
Jedi Link 3.0
Mewtwo
JediofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2014, 11:45 PM   #13
Reily96
Kimono Junkie

At the moment, I think I only have one in the form of Kamiya Kaoru... That's just mostly because I spent A LOT of money on that kimono and a con environment might damage it. Then again, a lot of the cons I'll be going to are smaller since I refuse to attend the bigger ones... But if I were to drive up to Orlando for Megacon or something, I wouldn't take Kaoru, noooooo. Too many people. My worry isn't so much people stepping on it or anything like that so much as it is just accidental makeup mishaps or food stains. DX
Kamiya Kaoru (Rurouni Kenshin) - 100%
Gakuko, Shanghai Disco ver. (Vocaloid) - 70%

For the Future:
Smaug - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2014, 12:06 AM   #14
Amaya
Ovarian Cancer Survivor

I will never bring my Xion cosplay from Kingdom Hearts to a con ever again! I LOVE Kingdom Hearts, but I am appalled at the way the fans act at conventions. Lots of non canon Yaoi, yelling and screaming. People were even getting mad at me for cosplaying Xion because, "that character sucks. She is getting in the way of Axel's and Roxas love!"...REALLY PEOPLE!? REALLY! And then when I did get asked to do photos everyone requested nothing but sexual positions.

The fandom has ruined Kingdom Hearts cosplay for me. And that's pretty sad....

Please check out my Facebook page!
https://www.facebook.com/nightraincosplay

Cinncinnati Comic Con

Megaman/Bass Crossover (Megaman Battle Network)-0%
Asuka Plugsuit (Evangelion 3.33)- 100%
Black Widow (The Avengers)- 100%
Baby Doll (Sucker Punch)- 60%
Amaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2014, 02:16 AM   #15
sooyong
Ninja for Hire

Right now for me it would be mech cosplays. I'd really love to do one, but the amount of suitcase space needed would be ridiculous, and my mobility and ability to see very well would be limited.

2014 plans:
TGS2014 - Zhurong (DW8) and fem!Kotetsu (Tiger&Bunny)
BIGBANG Concert - Fantastic Baby G-Dragon
Winter Comiket - ???

sooyong is offline   Reply With Quote