Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread Yesterday, 04:49 PM   #1
HappyChibiPanda

Unhappy My parents and cosplay. Help!?

Hey, it's my first post, and I am going to start cosplaying sometime soon. My situation is something I didn't see anyone else having. Most people's parents straight out won't let them cosplay. My parents are ok with it, but only mostly. My mom is fine, but if she's around my dad who is not, she is also not ok with it. The main problem is skirts... Today I wore my favorite skirt, and I was getting my lunch when my dad said "a few inches longer would be nice" now this skirt is not very short. It comes to around mid-thigh, and for cosplay standards, that's not short. My first cosplay is going to be with my friend, who has absolutely no problems with her parents regarding cosplay. I also wish I could wear outfits that expose my midriff as well, but with the problem on skirts, that's out of the question. Thanks in advance for any advice you give me, I can tell this is a very nice community.
HappyChibiPanda is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread Yesterday, 05:03 PM   #2
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Sounds like your folks would be open to a discussion. What your dad said is a pretty low-key thing--it wasn't even a request to change, really. Broach the subject and hear them out on their reservations about you cosplaying. Showing that you're mature enough to consider things from their perspective will help a lot in convincing them that you can handle yourself in cosplay.

There's no guarantee that you'll be able to convince them that wearing a short skirt or short top is okay--at least not right now. They're probably worried that you're exposing yourself to situations and personal attention that you don't have the knowledge or confidence to deal safely with yet. They might be right! Let them tell you why.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 05:44 PM   #3
HappyChibiPanda

That's probably true, but there is much more to the topic. Did I mention I was wearing opaque leggings, and that nothing about skirt length is likely to change unless I do something. I'm really sad and I have talked to my parents about it before.
HappyChibiPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 07:39 PM   #4
EXEC_HYMME_MACARON
Michu

Okay then, first off, how old are you? Age is a huge factor here. I dunno, some parents just feel not right with letting their 14 year old or whatever run around wearing a mini skirt and showing their stomach.

Hell, I'm 30 years old, and the last picture of a character that I was gonna cosplay that I showed my mom? "The skirt isn't going to be that short, is it?"

As Mangochutney said, discussing things maturely may help, ask them why they're worried, what their reservations are. Oh and pro-tip, never use lines like "I'm old enough to handle myself!" or "But everyone else is doing this!"

If the answer is still no, you're a minor, and your living under their rules.. then, you're have to live with it. Good news? There are a TON of conservatively dressed characters, or characters who have outfits that cover more. Also, it's not uncommon for people to change or lengthen things to suit their comfort level.
EXEC_HYMME_MACARON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 12:12 AM   #5
MidoriUma

Simple solution. Wear street clothes, and change in the washroom at the con. Change back before going home. Problem solved.

Upcoming 2015 Conventions:

FrostCon Anime Central Anime North Otakon (maybe) Otakuthon Youmacon

Always happy to team up with new partners/groups!
MidoriUma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 12:16 AM   #6
EXEC_HYMME_MACARON
Michu

Yes! Perfect solution! Lie to your parents and sneak behind their backs! Lose any and all amount of trust they may have in you and spend an ungodly amount of time trying to earn it back.

GENIUS.
EXEC_HYMME_MACARON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 12:29 AM   #7
Angel Tear
Sugar Snow

If there's something protecting your dignity underneath (shorts, leggings) there shouldn't really be a problem. My rule of thumb with skirts is that if they dont pass your fingertips if you put your hands at your side then chances are they're too short and will flash if you bend over or will most likely expose my safety shorts underneath - they're not really meant to be seen and are just there for insurance. It really depends on the skirt, so hear them out and maybe even take the time to run them through what you would do if anything unsavoury happened at a con so they know that while you're not expecting it, you're clued up.
Angel Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 01:55 AM   #8
sooyong
Ninja for Hire

I think it's a good start that your parents will at least let you cosplay and are mostly okay with it. Honestly I'd just say to honor your parents' desires for the time being, and talk to them about your costume choices and plans.

I started cosplaying at 15 and my mom helped me make my first costume. My parents were usually conservative when it came to how much or how little I wore, so I was actually surprised that my parents let me go to a con with a bare midriff and a high-slit skirt my first year. Every year they'd ask what I would work on next, and I'd show them a picture. I always made sure to not to go outside of their approval, all the way up until I graduated high school.

Honoring their limits while you're still a minor (assuming that you are) will preserve your relationship with your parents, which is honestly more important than a mere costume. Once you are an adult, you can make your own choices without having to have their approval. I'm 26 and my mom still voices concern about revealing costumes, but she respects that I'm old enough to make my own choices.

In Progress:
  • Sailor Star Healer (Sailor Moon: Sailor Stars)
  • Fantastic Baby G-Dragon
  • [Secret Project]

sooyong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 02:55 AM   #9
boricuaspartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyChibiPanda View Post
That's probably true, but there is much more to the topic. Did I mention I was wearing opaque leggings, and that nothing about skirt length is likely to change unless I do something. I'm really sad and I have talked to my parents about it before.
A lot of things parents enforce may seem unfair or harsh. But honestly sweetie, the bottom and unfortunate line is that as long as you're living under they're roof, you gotta do what they tell you to do. As much as you may explain to them that it's not a big deal (and it very well may not be), at the end of the day, they have the last say. I know it may suck now, but one day you're gonna be out on you're own and you may have children of you're own and then guess what...you may have to enforce some rules that they may not think is fair. But because they'd be you're children living under you're roof...well then they'd have to do what you say because they'd be living under you're roof. That's just the way it is and you owe it to you're parents to give them at least that much respect after everything they do for you. And in the end, don't worry so much. Eventually you'll be out on you're own and will be able to do whatever you want. But in the meantime, have as much fun as you can while respecting and loving you're parents as much as they love you.

Take it from someone who is a parent of not 1, not 2, but THREE kids *Points to himself* So yeah, I have a little experience in this field from both perspectives. Parent and son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidoriUma View Post
Simple solution. Wear street clothes, and change in the washroom at the con. Change back before going home. Problem solved.
Yeah, no offense, but that's about the worse possible advice you could give someone. You should never straight up encourage anyone to downright disobey they're parents. Especially if they're a minor. That's just downright disrespectful. Unless it's got something to do with they're own personal safety being at stake, then no. You should never tell anyone to disobey they're parents. Like I said, I've been there before. My parents enforced a bunch of rules that I thought were dumb and unfair. But now that I'm a parent myself, I can very well see that they always had my best interest at heart and they only did those things because they loved me. So yeah, that's definetly not a good idea.

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnu0QkPs6lVP-uALjfwIEGQ
boricuaspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 05:02 AM   #10
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

You should talk to them again and be open about your cosplays, so that they'll trust you. Have you asked them exactly what their concerns are? Maybe they have a good reason to be worried about your skirt length. You could try to work out a compromise.

Do they know that you have opaque leggings to wear underneath so your panties won't show? (Also, are they skin-colored? If your leggings look like your actual skin, maybe they think that's still too revealing.)

Currently working on:
Benny Gecko -- Fallout: New Vegas
Momoko Koigakubo -- Ghost Stories (Dub)
Mercenary!Brittnay -- MPGiS
Malory Archer -- Archer
Deandra -- MPGiS
Anna Cornonation Dress -- Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen -- OFF
Princess Suwa -- Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
Sewing blog: http://www.annikakisskisses.blogspot.com
EvilLittleKiss is offline   Reply With Quote