Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 02-21-2015, 05:41 AM   #1
kuroi_shi
Nerd Girl

Household items you've destroyed making cosplay

I'm curious if anyone else has destroyed stuff around your house doing cosplay.. And I don't mean stuff meant for sewing like irons.. (Because we've all ruined irons)..
Example: I accidentally gouged holes into a concrete floor, when I thought it was a good idea to hammer holes into a leather belt using a mallet and an awl, without a cutting board..
I've ruined my kitchen table with spray paint, and my coffee table with glue (both hot glue, and super glue)
And, I tried to use my stove to heat up a knife to cut through styrofoam balls.. My attempt was successful, but I ruined 3 knives, and a burner on my stove (Which are all covered in bits of melted foam that I can't scrape off)

Unread 02-21-2015, 12:16 PM   #2
Cameron1138
Kingslayer

-My kitchen table has Rub n Buff marks from various Steampunk guns I've worked on at it.
-My driveway and garage floor have black spraypaint marks.
-My bedpost has some pretty bad denting from using it to attach snaps (which is done basically by hitting them really hard with a hammer).
-My bedroom carpet has a faint blackish stain from when I spilled paint water all over it (which was also caused by vibrations from attaching snaps).

In progress: Connor Kenway - 10%; Bucky Barnes/Winter Soldier - 15% (on hold); Mal Reynolds (improved) - 15%

Future/considering: Daryl Dixon, improved Vash, Shay Patrick Cormac, Mako (LoK), Edward Kenway
Cameron1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2015, 01:45 PM   #3
Sokmunki
One hell of a cat lover

My bedroom carpet with paint, my coffee table with paint and hot glue, and my outdoor table with dye :P

In progress:

Sebastian Michaelis - 40%
Spock - 60%

Complete:

Nishiki from Tokyo Ghoul
Tintin
Belphagor from KHR
11th Doctor
Jack Frost
Sherlock (BBC)
Sokmunki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2015, 02:33 PM   #4
Amanita

I messed up a table cloth while my parents were away, thanks to leathercrafting tools. And then I blamed it all on my adorable little tabby cat, who loves to reach up onto the table and drag things across and off of it using his paws. He's too adorable to stay mad at, me not so much!
Unread 02-21-2015, 02:59 PM   #5
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

I've only "destroyed" my old bed. I didn't have a place to cut cardboard so I ruined my bed doing that as well as with paint stains and other crap like that. It's all good becasue i was gonna get a new bed anyway, and this one was really really old and garbage so it didn't matter.
The only other would be my carpet, but it's just a few pieces of spray foam stuck to it. I dont know if you can get that off there, but there are 2 sorta big pieces of it stuck.
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts II)
-Chandelure (Pokemon)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)
-Spirit (Soul Eater)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2015, 01:34 AM   #6
ghosgreen

My desk. It's kinda old and busted up anyways so I just started cutting my pepakura and foam right on the desk. It's has a nice weathering now.

My work tables outside is a testament to my armor building adventures. They are covered in so much resin, bondo dust, paint and rinse and repeat until it is what is now. But I actually love it. It has so much character and tells a great story.
ghosgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2015, 04:52 PM   #7
Dieselpunk

A silver paint marker leaked over my keyboard while I was weathering a rifle that was part of a post apocalyptic costume. It still works, but it does bear some "decorations".
Dieselpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2015, 03:51 AM   #8
sooyong
Ninja for Hire

My old bedroom at my parents' place definitely has paint stains from working on cosplay.

I've also accidentally caused a dent in a vinyl floor because a hot glue gun fell and landed on its tip.

There's minor scratches on my dining table from sewing needles and straight pins.

Planned Project(s):
Sailor Star Maker (Sailor Moon: Sailor Stars)
fem! Rei (Free!)
Red Jasmine (Disney's Aladdin)

Next Event:
Nipponbashi Street Festival (March 22)

sooyong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2015, 11:13 AM   #9
Ilafatyu
That guy

There's a window sill that I accidentally covered in spray adhesive. It's all bumpy, couldn't get all of it to come off. At least it doesn't look different, because my dad would put me through a wall if he saw any damage.

I do all my spray painting out in the backyard, so every now and then you stumble across some golden clovers or a black dandelion. It's an adventure.

facebook // tumblr
Want to help create a US anime convention map?
PM me your local conventions to add to the map

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 4%
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - 2%
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2015, 01:50 PM   #10
Jigouku Chou
Survival Horror Addict

One of my favorite pairs of shoes ended up getting spray paint on them due to an unfriendly gust of wind while I was spraying my sister and I's wings for our panty and stocking cosplays. I also have gotten paint on our dining room table, and ruined several kitchen sponges cleaning melted crayon out of the kitchen sink.
Kingdom Hearts: Xion

NDK 2015:
Rose of Versailles: Oscar Francois de Jarjeyes
Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt: Panty
Jigouku Chou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2015, 08:21 PM   #11
kendraduck09

There's paint in the gaps of the wood flooring in my bedroom. I got (most) of it off the surface, but just couldn't get it out from in between the panels. My mom wants to move soon so I should probably figure out how to clean it before she puts the house for sale...

I took one of my mom's serrated kitchen knives to cut insulation foam board. Probably not the best tool to use, but it's all I had access to and I didn't want to go out and buy anything. I just kept it in my "stash" of tools I use for cosplay. Thankfully she didn't notice it's gone. (Or at least I don't think she did...)

I could go on and on about all the things I've gotten glue, paint, or dye on but I don't want to make this post overly long ;A; Rugs, carpet, four tables, ......a treadmill (Hey it's in the sunroom where I work on my large projects, plus it makes a good surface. Nobody uses it anyways.)

Next convention: Otakon 2015

~ Tumblr ~ Cosplay Facebook ~ List of Cosplays ~

kendraduck09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2015, 09:02 PM   #12
WondererBailey
Bailey's Cosplay

A kitchen table with paint stains and a floor that has some exacto knife cut marks :3.

So far that's all...

Robin (male) - [Fire Emblem Awakening] - 35%
Aladdin - [Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic] - 95%

Planned 2015 Cosplay:
Jiggy Pepper - [ Tegami Bachi / Letter Bee]
Henry - [Fire Emblem Awakening]
Thief King Bakura - [Yugioh!]

Dream 2015 Cons: Sakuracon - Fanime - Anime Expo - Kumoricon - Yaoicon

WondererBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2015, 11:28 PM   #13
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

So, I rent a room in a shared house. Which means the kitchen table isn't mine. Guess what I did to it? =D
....spray adhesive and sharpie, which fortunately came out after a month with enough cleaners and elbow grease, but worst of all, I didn't realize my sewing machine had gotten a rough spot on its bottom, and I made a HUGE scratch in the table when I slid it across it one time. But I got SUPER lucky- the landlady didn't BELIEVE that my sewing machine could have done that. X_O Regardless, until I moved into a bigger room where I could keep my own worktable set up, I started sewing with a mat under my machine.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2015, 11:07 PM   #14
chibierwin
Tall Little Freak

I have some hot glue on the floor of the basement where I do the most of my work. Luckily my parents want to re-tile the floor!

Don't know if this counts, but I broke a plastic snack bowl a few weeks ago ^^; I was using it to mix fabric paint and dropped it on accident, and the darn thing broke straight in half. Once again I was lucky because the bowl was old, but I still had to clean up all the paint that splattered.
Unread Yesterday, 12:20 AM   #15
AnimeAndMusical

We have a concrete table at my house which used to be covered in at least 20 different paints, most of them because of cosplay, but it got cleaned up and repainted recently.