Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 03-29-2017, 01:09 PM   #1
Springwater
Not A Registered User

Outdated Cosplays?

So I constantly find things after the hype has died down from the series. I dont mean to, I just discover things once it ends. I just recently discovered Marble Hornets on youtube and binged watched the entire series in two days. I love it. Sadly it ended quite a while ago.

Their is a con coming up and I was thinking of cosplaying one of the characters. Would it seem silly to do this? I love it when people recognize my cosplays and we get to talking about the series. I fear that while people might recognize me, they might not care anymore about the series.

Should I wear the cosplay?

Unread 03-29-2017, 01:28 PM   #2
Maurishio-kun
17 forever!!

I don't think it'd be wrong, people are still cosplaying characters from shows that ended even decades ago.

"I have two dreams in my life: Going to Japan and throwing eggs to Jeannie Mai."

Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2017, 01:34 PM   #3
Mangochutney
probably a frackpants

Don't think of it as "outdated". There's no rule or even tradition that you have to be current. Cosplaying old stuff is great; people who see you and like the source material tend to REALLY dig you, and if you normally worry about randos nitpicking your accuracy at the con, you can worry much less with something older or obscure or both. (for the record: I discourage letting this fear affect anybody's cosplay choices. Other con attendees aren't that scary.)

ANyway, remember: your money, your time, your call. Do what moves you!
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Your Mother [Debbie Does Dallas XXIII] (8%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2017, 01:50 PM   #4
hangyaku

The way I see it is, if you want to cosplay a certain character, and if it'll make you happy to cosplay that character, then do it. Don't worry too much about how old the show is or whether or not there's any hype for it. Besides, chances are that you're going to run into somebody who is as equally excited about the show as you are regardless of when it came out.

~Anime North 2017~
Keith - Voltron: Legendary Defender
Katsuhira Agata - Kiznaiver
hangyaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2017, 02:09 PM   #5
Scunosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurishio-kun View Post
I don't think it'd be wrong, people are still cosplaying characters from shows that ended even decades ago.
This is very true; just think of Celebration!

Also, sometimes you can even stand out more as something more obscure or older. Back when Naruto was hot you'd see dozens of Akatsukis running around so even if you did a great job as one it was hard for you to stand out. Whereas if you did say Ninja Turtles (to compare a different ninja series :P) you'd likely be the only one and people would recognize you more for it.

Also while Marble Hornets may not be current you'll still occasionally find groups that are just for general "creepypasta" cosplays, which I'd consider MH to be. Most of those characters are at least a decade old if not older now (wow that makes me feel old) so you'd fit right in with them!

Upcoming Conventions
---

Latest cosplay
Wicke (Pokémon Sun and Moon)

Working On
---
Scunosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2017, 03:19 PM   #6
fabrickind
Aspiring Senpai

Agreed that you shouldn't let it discourage you. Just because the hype has died down also doesn't mean that it isn't still loved by lots of people.

Besides my general love of old school anime and video games that causes me to cosplay all sorts of old things that I still love (and I still get attention for those things, by the way), I also tend to get into things after the initial hype has died down. I caught the tail end of the heyday of the Homestuck fandom. I guess Steven Universe is one that I got into when the fandom was strong, but even then, I was pretty late to the party. Hell, I just got into Jojo's Bizarre Adventure all of what, a week ago? I didn't watch Utena, my one and only true anime love, until 2015, 18 years after it aired, and I'm currently loving Dirty Pair, which is from the mid 1980s. I just debuted a costume from a fairly disliked game from 1999 and met a LOT of fans who still loved it.

Marble Hornets isn't quite old enough yet to get the "old school" or "retro" appeal, but it's also not old enough that people will have forgotten about it entirely. A lot of the people who were fans back when it was newer might have exhausted their personal cosplay potential from it, but that doesn't mean that they stopped liking it or that /your/ cosplay potential has been exhausted.

I agree with the above suggestion that you can often find creepypaste groups or gatherings. You can also sometimes find genre-specific gatherings, like horror gatherings, or medium-specific gatherings, like webseries gatherings, if you can't find one for Marble Hornets in particular.
Unread 03-29-2017, 03:45 PM   #7
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

"Past the main hype" is 99% of ALL my costumes, because I tend to live under a rock, don't pay for the latest tech and so I don't get into anything (ESPECIALLY games, with very exceptions) until it's no longer new. And NOBODY WHATSOEVER cares at a con. You might miss out on some of the social aspects/being constantly photographed of really new or popular things in their peak but that's literally it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2017, 06:08 PM   #8
belligerent
Viking Metal

cosplaying the most popular character from the newest hottest thing basically just ensures you'll be at the mercy of wig supplier restocks.

cosplay what you want from whatever you want.
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2017, 08:31 AM   #9
Sophronia

Like you guys said before, cosplay whatever you want and whoever you want. I personally love seeing cosplays from old-school shows or movies. It's so great that people still celebrate those!
Sophronia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2017, 10:49 PM   #10
sooyong
Ninja for Hire

Last year I wore a costume I made ten years ago from a game made almost 20 years ago. Cosplay as a hobby is for yourself, not for other people. So "outdated" is irrelevant if you wanna wear the costume.

sooyong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2017, 03:02 AM   #11
Chaletica
Chaotic Lazy Anti-Villain

Well, I'm working on a cosplay of a character mostly known from a early 00's meme... for cosplay it doesn't matter at all if the series is "old" (and I don't know much about marble hornets but I wouldn't really consider that "old" at all?), just cosplay who you want! If everyone just cosplayed the currently popular series there would be little variation, the vast majority of cosplayers/congoers just appreciate seeing all kinds of cool costumes from all kinds of sources

http://consolers.webcomic.ws My webcomic, Consolers. It's about game companies
Chaletica is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2017, 09:37 AM   #12
Amethya

I'm going as Korra, and the show ended a while back. I'm doing it because I love it and because I binged watch the whole series in a month, so yeah I'm doing it. Just have fun with it!
Amethya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2017, 12:14 PM   #13
dysoartsy

I totally agree with what the others have already said
I'm actually working on a Marble Hornets cosplay right now! I'm going to be Tim at my next few conventions. I posted some costest photos on another site, and tons of people recognized it and said that they thought it was cool seeing someone cosplaying from the series. So don't feel discouraged because there are tons of people who have seen it, still love it, and are still cosplaying from it, like me!
dysoartsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2017, 02:36 PM   #14
MoonWingSamurai

98% of my cosplay is 1970's live-action tokusatsu heroes, so I don't even know what "out-dated" means!
Unread 04-07-2017, 11:09 PM   #15
Jigouku Chou
Survival Horror Addict

I don't believe in "outdated". All of the cosplays I have planned are from 70's and 80's anime. Yeah, if it's an older series you might not get recognized, but if you feel good about your cosplay and are having fun honestly who cares.
Anime Expo 2015 and 2016

::Upcoming Cons::
Nan Desu Kan 2017
Colorado Anime Fest 2018
Anime Expo 2018
Jigouku Chou is offline   Reply With Quote