Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 05-12-2015, 05:17 PM   #1
Ilafatyu
That guy

Let's make a New Cosplayer sticky thread

We've been talking about it for a while, we may as well do it. Here's what I'm thinking, have a post for each topic, with links at the bottom for further reading. Basic setup:

• Intro - What is cosplay. Different genres of cosplay (anime, movies, games, etc). Where people cosplay. A clear message that cosplay isn't limited by age, gender, etc.
• Different kinds of cosplaying - Buying/commissioning, thrifting/closplay, constructing. Maybe a short guide on each, like a list of things that mark a stolen costume picture, or what stores to look for when making a cosplay on the cheap.
• Wigs. A post just for wigs. The basic parts of a wig (cap, weft). Why party store wigs are to be avoided. The pros and cons of a few major wig sellers.
• Conventions and what to expect. Gatherings. Panels. Pre-con crunch. Con funk. Con plague. Different types of conventions when it's okay to wear costumes from different genres (anime conventions accept all costumes, Doctor Who conventions are a little more stringent, etc).
• Cosplay etiquette. How to do shoots and photographer things. How to compliment someone's costume. How not to make an ass of yourself begging for money. Stuff like that.
• This forum - What different subforums are and how to get help (mention providing reference pictures). Who Proud is. Why the Suggestions Subforum isn't for construction questions.
• Glossary - Words like crossplay, gijinka, worbla. General stuff that we'd recognize that people outside the community would not

Any other ideas?

facebook page // nh/mass cosplay events
Next con: PortConMaine

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Soren (Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn) - 3%
Vaati (LoZ Minish Cap) - 2%

Last edited by Ilafatyu : 05-12-2015 at 07:20 PM.
Ilafatyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-12-2015, 05:22 PM   #2
TitanSlayer000
Eh

This is a good idea. Going along with "cons and what to expect", it should say "yes, you can wear non-anime cosplays to anime conventions. There have been so many threads about it lately.
Unread 05-12-2015, 05:23 PM   #3
DeeperBlue
Property of Zee Captein

Ooh, I can't think of anything to add right now, but this is a good idea. I definitely think this should be a thing. Maybe it could be an actual section underneath Cosplay Chat, right above General Cosplay Chat so it's the first thing new people see... Mod would have to do it though.

Fayt Leingod (Ethereal Blast version) - Star Ocean:Till the End of Time - 85% finished

Fidel Camus - Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness - planning stages
DeeperBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2015, 05:28 PM   #4
AnimeLuxray25
v I made them all. v

For the record this was MY idea. MY IDEA OKAAAAY?
XD Haha, I'm just kidding obviously. Well I'm glad it's finally been done. Hopefully this thread doesn't die and stays up for all the newbies to see.

~ " don't judge other cosplayers, 'cause in the end we all look silly wearing wig caps " :3 ~

2015 Cosplay: Poochyena Gijinka. [Pokémon] - 100%
2016 Cosplay: Leafeon Gijinka. [Pokémon] - 35%

2015 Conventions: Omni Expo, Anime Festival Orlando, Holiday Matsuri.

deviantART: AnimeLuxray25
AnimeLuxray25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2015, 06:18 PM   #5
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

I'd be SUPER DOWN for a "how to ask the right questions to get help" sort of thread, which would be applicable to basically any of the construction subforums.

Like, put your character's name and series, variant if applicable. Reference photos. (I swear every thread I've seen in the last three weeks lacks refs). Mention of the specific part you're having trouble with, and why it's a problem. If you've tried things to make it before, a short bit on what you did and why it didn't work would be helpful to us trying to suggest new methods.
  • Magic Armor Link 2.0 (LoZ: Twilight Princess): 5% (Armor Revamp) Summer 2015
  • Genderbend Makoto (Free! Eternal Summer): 93% (Final Touches) Colossalcon 2015
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2015, 06:20 PM   #6
Akiyhrah
She-Geek extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsCASSiOPEiA View Post
I'd be SUPER DOWN for a "how to ask the right questions to get help" sort of thread, which would be applicable to basically any of the construction subforums.

Like, put your character's name and series, variant if applicable. Reference photos. (I swear every thread I've seen in the last three weeks lacks refs). Mention of the specific part you're having trouble with, and why it's a problem. If you've tried things to make it before, a short bit on what you did and why it didn't work would be helpful to us trying to suggest new methods.
REFERENCE PHOTOS. YES.

And I know it was basically mentioned in the first post, but OMG LINKS TO SUBFORUMS. I have seen so many threads in the General Cosplay Chat asking how to make armour, or how to style X wig, or where to by such and such.

Please consider donating to the Relay for Life, which I will be participating in on June 12th, 2015! Donate Here!

[C|O|S|P|L|A|Y]
My anti-drug.
Akiyhrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2015, 06:40 PM   #7
Padmik
mikky

Yeeeessss please. This could also help stop the repeat threads in the general cosplay subforum. I also second the links to subforums ideas to help with the flood of posts in the general subforum that don't need to be in there.

[Tumblr] [Instagram] [Wordpress]

2015 Conventions
Shatterdome Atlanta (?), DragonCon, Yaoi-con (?), AWA, GMX (?)

2015 Cosplays
Honekoneko - PaSwG 85% | Barbara Gordon (2014) - DC 30% | GoGo Tomago - BH6 70% | Chef!Haru - Free! 0%
| Korra - LoK 85% | Flame Princess - Adventure Time 0% | Arena!Katniss Everdeen - THG: CF 5%
Padmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2015, 08:06 PM   #8
Ilafatyu
That guy

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
I'm hoping the thread can be sticky'd when it's finished. I don't know when that will be, but hey, someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeLuxray25 View Post
For the record this was MY idea. MY IDEA OKAAAAY?
XD Haha, I'm just kidding obviously. Well I'm glad it's finally been done. Hopefully this thread doesn't die and stays up for all the newbies to see.
YOUUUUU -waggles finger- Really though, this idea's been kicking around for so long. I'm hoping it will help people learn things they didn't know they should know.

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Unread 05-12-2015, 09:21 PM   #9
Rachs_Cosplay

Oh This is right up my Alley!
Gather peices for any of my Cospalys is a real specialty of mine!!!
I've been finishing up my Raven Cosplay form Teen Titans,and I bought a brass gold belt from the salvation army/good will,and i bought some purple round beads for her gems,and spray painted them red recently,Had a freind help me with this part,constructing the belt,and hot gluing the gems in place!!
*bought ravens wig from ebay
*bought a white leotard,and her arm things along with her cloak,that was the most expensive item.
Here's some photos let me know what you guys think!!!
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...03093& type=1
Unread 05-22-2015, 07:04 AM   #10
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

Have we followed up on this at all? I'd still be down to help write some of these intro posts if you all want to do it!
  • Magic Armor Link 2.0 (LoZ: Twilight Princess): 5% (Armor Revamp) Summer 2015
  • Genderbend Makoto (Free! Eternal Summer): 93% (Final Touches) Colossalcon 2015
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2015, 09:08 PM   #11
Ilafatyu
That guy

I've been putting a few things together, but tbh I've been too distracted to get anything really accomplished. If you want to help write some, that'd be awesome.

COSPLAYS IN PROGRESS
Unread 05-25-2015, 12:05 AM   #12
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

I think this is a great idea.

Vault Boy -- Fallout
Benny Gecko: Fallout: New Vegas