Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Unread 09-27-2014, 12:45 AM   #1
nanamireina

Cosplay Character!

Hii! Once again, I have a qns to ask. To be exact, it's my friend that need help. Here's her qns:

Is it okay to cosplay as your own OC? Not from anime or manga or etc... A character that you created on your own.
nanamireina is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-27-2014, 01:04 AM   #2
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

I'll make this answer the most generic it can get while still answering your question..
You (or in this case your friend) can cosplay whatever the heck you want..No one can say what is and is not allowed to be cosplayed.
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
JasonTerror is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2014, 05:59 AM   #3
Syon

Cosplay what you want, but be realistic. If your friend cosplays her own character, then she should be aware, that she is the only one who knows this character. There will be less people taking her picture, because there won't be any fans of her character and if she wants to participate in a contest, checking the rules becomes extra important, as some may have extra rules for OCs.

Next cosplay: Paladin tier 16 from WoW (blue/silver version)
Syon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #4
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Short answer, hell yes.
Long answer ; It's mostly only since the 80's and 90's that costuming has moved from "create something cool and original" to "only copy exactly what you see on the screen", which is a damn shame. If it looks cool, people will still like seeing it at a con. Cons have no rules about what you can wear unless it's breaking the law. And in fact, as Costume-Con has taught me, originals are really where you can let your creativity, skill and ideas shine (many longtime masters, in fact, will barely do recreations and still take home awards). Sure, you can copy an exact design. But how about making something elaborate, detailed and crazy from scratch that still looks cohesive, well-fitted and eye-catching? Much harder than you think and you can bring up any crazy skill you want to show it off more than a copy-costume would. If you dont care that you probably won't get legions of fangirls/fanboys and want to make something that's really a token of your artistry, go ahead and hell yes you can be an oc.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 09-27-2014 at 09:27 AM.
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2014, 01:28 AM   #5
Eri-Hime
Eri Hime

Is it Okay? I mean... I can not think of anyone (who's opinion is worth caring about) who would look down upon that!

Best wishes and luck to that friend of yours though~~ C:

Code:
https://www.facebook.com/erihimecos
Eri-Hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 06:31 PM   #6
Kokoro Hane
Mangaka on a mission~

Oh yes, you definitely can! I myself have done something similar, as my first ever real cosplay was me wearing the school uniform from my own manga. Cosplay is about fun and creativity, so I definitely say go for it! The possibilities are endless, and if it is eye-catching, your friend will probably still get pictures. I mean, if someone can cosplay as a recycling can (yes, I have seen this) then an OC is definitely a-OK!
Meiko [default] (Vocaloid)
Hajime (Hamatora) {debuted at; Anime Conji 2014}
Tomoyo Daidouji [summer uniform] (Cardcaptor Sakura)

Currently in the works!
Kaiko Shion [blue dress - original] (Vocaloid)
Xiaoyu [school uniform] (Tekken Tag Tournament 2)
Kokoro Hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 06:52 PM   #7
CalvaryRider

If you're planning on entering a masquerade or other judged contest, it *might* work against you, the rules and tastes of different contests/judges vary wildly.

If you're just doing it for fun, go nuts! Even the most hardcore fan hasn't seen EVERY series out there, so most people will just assume you're doing a character they haven't seen before. If someone comes up to talk to you about it, they probably did so because they were impressed with the design and workmanship
CalvaryRider is offline   Reply With Quote