Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Spam Board > Archive

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-22-2006, 11:34 PM   #1
Winter Divinity
夢は永遠に反響する

Cosplay Rentals

This is just a thought, but have any commissioners out there thought of doing a cosplay rental dealie? This is thought that keeps popping out at me as a pretty neat and convenient idea. Most cosplayers don't wear their costumes more than once (I know that I hardly wear the same ones twice).

So I thought "Hey! Wouldn't be a neat idea if someone had that?"

How it works:
Commissioner has a few pre-made costumes for rent.
Interested parties contact commissioner regarding a costume they would like to rent. Commissioner then makes it in a generic size and adjusts it for client. Generic size might be using elastics or velcro in certain places.
Then client sends payment in the amount of the costume's worth to commissioner, with a certain percentage as deposit. Then the seller ships the costume to the client to wear for a certain amount of time. Then returns the costume receives refund of payment minus deposit. The deposit in this case would be like the rental fee. And if the client chooses to buy the costume, they keep it and the seller keeps their payment.

Anyways I thought it was cool and wanted to share the idea. It would be o beneficial for models who want to build a portfolio or photographers who want to rent costumes for their models for a short time. Any thoughts?

Last edited by Winter Divinity : 12-23-2006 at 01:17 AM.

Unread 12-22-2006, 11:59 PM   #2
lehulei
Flutterby

I thought about doing something like that as a dealer at an anime convention, like a regular costume rental shop but with anime costumes - people try stuff on, make the deposit & rental fee as well as provide valid ID and return it at the end of the weekend (or end up paying late fees, like with movie rentals ;x)
Unread 12-23-2006, 12:19 AM   #3
sweet_magic
Wind User

Hm. I think that's a pretty neat idea. If I knew a commissioner like that I would rent costumes from them all the time. Of course there might need to be a few polices on what happens if they return the costume back to the commissioner "damage". Or if that were to happen, the buyer wouldn't get their money back(minus the deposit)? Plus dry cleaning issues and all that stuff.
My Cosplay Media Group
Facebook- Project Kaleidoscope
DeviantArt- Project Kaleidoscope
Unread 12-23-2006, 01:11 AM   #4
Mimette
Mistress Citrus

You know I have thought of this as well and I have greatly considered doing it as a dealer at a con. However it would really depend on if anybody was interested in something like that.

I think it would be good to have the person under contract for something like that as well just in case they try to pull anything. Hmm... this could be really fun.
Unread 12-23-2006, 02:44 AM   #5
lunaladyoflight
Glitter Addict

I think it's a great idea. I'd totally do that, if there was a big enough call for CATS costumes.

~Luna
Unread 12-23-2006, 03:37 AM   #6
Winter Divinity
夢は永遠に反響する

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_magic_01 View Post
Hm. I think that's a pretty neat idea. If I knew a commissioner like that I would rent costumes from them all the time. Of course there might need to be a few polices on what happens if they return the costume back to the commissioner "damage". Or if that were to happen, the buyer wouldn't get their money back(minus the deposit)? Plus dry cleaning issues and all that stuff.
I supposed then the commissioner would deduct money from the refund. Like say the rental fee is $25/day plus + $10 dry cleaning fee, and the costume comes back with a few loose stitches or stains, that shouldn't be a problem but if it looks like it's been left on the train tracks then the commissioner shouldn't refund the money.

I wouldn't doubt that one person could run this alone, but probably a group of commissioners joined together could pull it off very efficiently. ^_^
Unread 12-23-2006, 03:41 AM   #7
kalajessta
Chevalier

I would be afraid of people trying to attempt to steal the costume or to claim it's theirs in a cosplay competition.

Benviolo (Romeo x Juliet); Guy Cecil - Hopeless Dreamer (Tales of the Abyss); Rossiu (Gurren-Lagann); Pegasus (Yu-Gi-Oh)

2008 Cons:
A and G Ohio, TekkoshoCon, Anime Central, Anime Expo, Otakon, Ikasu Con, Matsuri Con, Tsubasa Con, Youma Con, AnimeUSA
Unread 12-23-2006, 08:36 AM   #8
AmazonMandy

Maybe if the costumes were made specifically to be rented....but i couldn't do it. I had a woman bother me for WEEKS to rent my Plavalaguna. She didn't want to take no for an answer, kept telling me sob stories about her kids and her wheelchair...she wanted to put down a full amount to pay for it, and then i'd refund her, but what if she didn't send it back?? I don't care about the money, at that time i wasn't ready to sell it. I finally had to be stern.

Also, you have to figure dry cleaning into the cost....stuff like that ^^;;
Unread 12-23-2006, 02:20 PM   #9
trixyloupwolf
A LONELY kitty

mmmm i rent haloween costume and i can tell you people may not return your costume
if wig ...well they return them in a really bad condition @_@

i don't want to discourage you ^^;;
but its the truht..............

and i have one this year she don' t anser my phone call and she don't seem to want to return my costume at all @_@

so think hard about that ^^;; sorry to discourage ya ...really sorry

you could end up like that because its a long place rental like contry to another contry ....

and they could return it like damage too...reparation and all
and if ya do find damage will they want to pay for the repair of something ???

just afdding my tough for the other side of the project ^^;;
because i know a lot about renting ^^;;

well see ya

trixy
(sorry @_@)

were no one is...there i should hide and awaite.....
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...1_edited-2.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...600x120-v4.jpg
Unread 12-23-2006, 09:20 PM   #10
Koisnake
I want some fancy sauce

Good idea for people who always want to cosplay but can't afford to commission or can't make one.

But its a bad idea since people are most likely will be keeping the cost for a mere cost.. Eh.. Its probably good at conventions, but not over the internet.
Unread 12-23-2006, 09:50 PM   #11
AmazonMandy

Heh, i definately agree with TrixyLoupWolf about costumes getting damaged. I work part time at a costume shop, we rent costumes every day. They will NEVER come back as taken...sometimes its amazing. And yes...wigs will be shot.
Unread 12-23-2006, 11:37 PM   #12
Winter Divinity
夢は永遠に反響する

Actually I think it's beneficial if the customer decides they don't want to return it, if they've already paid the full amount for the costume as a security deposit. They just don't get it back without returning the costume. And in the case of damaged costumes, there comes a fine.

But yeah, I wouldn't trust normal cosplayers all the time, it's probably better to just comission for them. As for photographers and studios, it's a nice thought I wish I could pull off.
Unread 12-25-2006, 10:50 PM   #13
Chibi no Kutsu
Little of Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalajessta View Post
I would be afraid of people trying to attempt to steal the costume or to claim it's theirs in a cosplay competition.
I think a good way to prevent something like that from happening is to put a brand lable on the costume part like the people leanding them out could make one and sew it on all there costumes then there would be no way for them to say its theirs with our tearing the costume and then having to pay money.

Lala - D.Grey-man

Nel and Matsumoto - Bleach

Sailor Mars winter school outfit- Sailor Moon

Vivi - One piece

And Maybe Marik or Bakura - Yugioh
Unread 12-25-2006, 11:26 PM   #14
Northern
Master in the field

Maybe I am just a germaphobe....but what about hygene...no offense to anyone, but you never know if a person renting something has head-lice (for wigs and hats mostly) or the dreaded bad B.O. I worked on a costume once, for repair, that smelt so bad from BO that no matter how much I washed it, drycleaned it, feebreezed it, whatever, the stink would not leave the costume...grose.

I love the rental thing, the idea is super, but for costmes that are being returned, what could we do to make sure they are sanetary (sp?) for ourselves and the next client.....Dry cleaning can only do so much besides running up the bill and baking in...unmentionables. *shiver*

Anime North 2012
Friday: Toothless Hoodie
Saturday: Millitary Lolita
Sunday: Soubi- Loveless

youji_kudou_@hotmail.com
Unread 12-26-2006, 12:16 AM   #15
Kakashi101
Fangirl with teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyori View Post
I supposed then the commissioner would deduct money from the refund. Like say the rental fee is $25/day plus + $10 dry cleaning fee, and the costume comes back with a few loose stitches or stains, that shouldn't be a problem but if it looks like it's been left on the train tracks then the commissioner shouldn't refund the money.

I wouldn't doubt that one person could run this alone, but probably a group of commissioners joined together could pull it off very efficiently. ^_^
But what if they only want it for two days (50$) but then they mail it out and it takes four days (150$) to get it back to you? That's the only flaw I see.

I rented out a friend's cosplay! I paid for it to rent, wore it to con, had a blast, and then gave it back to her! It's what even got me into cosplaying.
It was awesome. So I support this idea 100%
I would rent! ^_^ Sometimes I just don't have the cash to get something that I would wear once....but to rent- what a great idea.
Bad thing though- wouldn't they all be genric cosplays? Aka Yunas, Bleachers, Narutards, Sailor Mooners? Cause why would someone make a super awesome and diffelcult costume for someone who will not bye it in the end...?

Great way to make some extra cash though! You win either way- The deposit money and if they keep it money.