Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Member Events and Gatherings

Closed Thread
Unread 03-31-2003, 02:51 PM   #1
Tsubame_Gaeshi
Swallow_Counter

Unhappy What about Denver!?

First off, is Denver even popular enough for Summer-time, cosplay photo session event thinggy?

Alright, here's my situation, there are cool things going on in California, and now in Philly, but nothing for us "mid-landers". I mean, we have Nan Desu Kan in September/October, but that's so far off....

So, my question is, would there be anyone interested in a Denver area cosplay outting?

If it would help, I do work at the Denver Botanic Gardens, which would add a nice background for any photos. Or, if not, there are always parks, mountains, lakes, whatever (one of the benefits of Colorado).

So, I just wanted to toss the idea out there. Depending on what kind of feed back there is, I can set things into motion, that is of course if this interests anyone.

Well, if nothing else, have a good day, and thanks for taking the time to read the humble words of a poor college student....

Jem

Unread 03-31-2003, 03:33 PM   #2
Ringo
紙の翼

I would love to! Alas I will still be in Texas this summer, at school. -_-
I'll be moving back in August after graduation woohoo! I's sure there will be a time to get all the colorado peeps together.
There is a colorado cosplayers community om Live journal, you might want to ask there too. ^_^
I really want to do a shot in the snow this winter, it would be very cold but pretty. =D
Unread 03-31-2003, 03:59 PM   #3
Tsubame_Gaeshi
Swallow_Counter

Hmm, yes, actually, I'm farmiliar with Livejournal, though I've not been an active member in quite some time. Thank you, I'll see what I can find out through them, then if anything transpires, I'll post the event here.

But don't let this stop others from commenting. If anyone else would be interested, please let me know.

Thanks!

Jem
Unread 03-31-2003, 06:01 PM   #4
Ruby Gloom

That would be so great! I really don't like only having NDK to go to around here...

Thanks! =^_^=
Unread 03-31-2003, 06:15 PM   #5
Neko Cathy

Um... I'll be in Denver next Thursday and late Sunday... for 15-20 mins and then I go bye bye
Unread 04-01-2003, 12:17 PM   #6
Tsubame_Gaeshi
Swallow_Counter

Hopefully not "bye bye" for good or anything....

And what for? There's a lot to do in Denver, certainly more than 15-20 minutes worth of stuff.

And on the other, Yeay! A newbie like me (Ruby Gloom). I agree, we need more ani-things to do out here. So, I'll see what I can put together.

Let's hope enough people would want to join in some festivities with us.

Jem
Unread 04-01-2003, 01:37 PM   #7
Neko Cathy

On my way to Ontario (sp?), CA my transfer stop is to the Denver airport. I just got my plane ticket and according to it, I have an hour to hang around on Thursday and then gotta board my CA.
Unread 04-01-2003, 02:02 PM   #8
Beverly
Emotion, yet peace...

I'd love to go. *^^* I'd been thinking about organizing a similar sort of thing myself... Of course, it's always great if someone else does it. XD I'd certainly be happy to help, and I'll definately plan to attend! =D
Unread 04-01-2003, 03:27 PM   #9
Ringo
紙の翼

I realized that I'm going to be home from around May 15-25, so if you wanted to plan for around that time I can come. ^_^ Plus usally the weather this really nice around that time. Would like a Saturday or Sunday afternoon be good? If we can finalize a time I well try and promote the heck out of it. ^_^
I know I can fit a costume in my suitcase. =D Lets do this!
The Japanese garden would be perfect. I wonder if we can bring food?

When NDK gets closer we should have a get together and work on stuff if it's possible. My friends over at Gimmie Anime mentioned it last year but I don't know that anything worked out. But they have a room that's perfect for it. ^_^

Last edited by Ringo : 04-01-2003 at 03:32 PM.
Unread 04-01-2003, 04:59 PM   #10
Tsubame_Gaeshi
Swallow_Counter

Right on, the wheels are in motion!

Actually, May could work (ha, May is probably the bussiest upcomming month for me. Added bonus, I'll be turning 23! Woohoo!)

Eh hem,

I wanted to ask you (Ringo) if you maybe knew anyone on the LJ cosplay community, or maybe even what the community was called. If they are already (somewhat) organized, then they might be a good foundation to build this whole thing on (or if nothing else, they should have connections to other people, as I would like a nice turnout).

As for the Denver Botanic Gardens (I just want to touch on this), yes food is allowed, and I'll see what I can do, but I know that even though I work there, I would need to rent out space if we wanted to, say hold something indoors (possibly outdoors as well). I'd get a 40% discount, but, I don't know, I'll see what I can do. Or, we can go a different route. I've never done anything like this before, so if anyone wants to help me with this (I'll spearhead it, but say, Beverly, if you know anything about where/how to start, that'd help tremendously).

Also something to keep in mind would be, "What to do"? Cosplay, of course, anime marathons (I know I have enough of that at my disposal, or at least friends that do), food maybe, I don't know. This will probably depend mostly on how many people show up (or are expected to do so), but right now we seem pretty small, but we can add things are time progresses. (As much as I'd love to create a brand new anime convention in Colorado, like I said, I know little about how to do so. And besides, starting small and testing the water, is always better than blindly jumping right in) So, any ideas?

Thanks to everyone that is so enthusiastic about this. If I can get a few things figured out, I should be able to get a date set here shortly.

Until then, if anyone wants to put the word out, I say go for it!

Thanks again!

Jem
Unread 04-01-2003, 05:03 PM   #11
Tsubame_Gaeshi
Swallow_Counter

One more thing, if anyone wants to contact me personally, my email addy is....

Swallow_Counter@yahoo.com

Alright, I promise, for the time being anyway, I'm done.

Thanks,

Jem
Unread 04-01-2003, 05:34 PM   #12
Ringo
紙の翼

Quote:
Originally posted by Tsubame_Gaeshi
Right on, the wheels are in motion!

Actually, May could work (ha, May is probably the bussiest upcomming month for me. Added bonus, I'll be turning 23! Woohoo!)
Eh hem,
I wanted to ask you (Ringo) if you maybe knew anyone on the LJ cosplay community, or maybe even what the community was called. If they are already (somewhat) organized, then they might be a good foundation to build this whole thing on (or if nothing else, they should have connections to other people, as I would like a nice turnout).
Cool. I'll post something there in a few. ^_^ And see what kind of response there is.

Quote:
As for the Denver Botanic Gardens (I just want to touch on this), yes food is allowed, and I'll see what I can do, but I know that even though I work there, I would need to rent out space if we wanted to, say hold something indoors (possibly outdoors as well). I'd get a 40% discount, but, I don't know, I'll see what I can do. Or, we can go a different route. I've never done anything like this before, so if anyone wants to help me with this (I'll spearhead it, but say, Beverly, if you know anything about where/how to start, that'd help tremendously).
I wouldn't worry about renting somethin out. Especially since we have to pay to get in. Keep it very informal. Maybe something like afternoon tea (snacks and stuff) instead of like a full meal. Have people meet at the Gardens and just hang and take pictures. ^_^ Then have people bring something to share.

Quote:
Also something to keep in mind would be, "What to do"? Cosplay, of course, anime marathons (I know I have enough of that at my disposal, or at least friends that do), food maybe, I don't know. This will probably depend mostly on how many people show up (or are expected to do so), but right now we seem pretty small, but we can add things are time progresses. (As much as I'd love to create a brand new anime convention in Colorado, like I said, I know little about how to do so. And besides, starting small and testing the water, is always better than blindly jumping right in) So, any ideas?
Keep it small and low key. Starting an Anime convention is a big deal, and not something to take lightly. I've been working with NDK for quite a few years and the crazyness that goes on when you planning an event like that is well, crazy. There are several other types of conventions in the Denver area where people cosplay (mile-hi con, starfest etc..) A while back there was a small con at the School of Mines in Golden. My best advice is to get involved in something that is already on going, like NDK or Mile-hi con then you can see what it's really like.
As far as showing anime goes since it's a public place you would need to get permission from the companies first.
You could always use the local anime club as a place to hang out and watch stuff. (http://www.denveranime.org/)
My advice leave it as a picnic/photoshoot a cosplay hangout. There are always oppurtunites to change stuff later. But that's me. ^_~

So how about the weekend of May 17 Sat. or Sun for a date, like around 2:00? That way anyone from out of town would have time to get into Denver. What do you think?
Unread 04-01-2003, 06:16 PM   #13
Eibii
Nibbled to death by cats

Ey, sounds lovely to me. I suggested a Botanic Gardensy thing to an old group of mine some time ago, I'd nearly forgotten about it.

Edit -- oh, incredibly dumb question, but seeing as how we'll be in a public spot, would this be the sort of event where we'd go traipsing off into the restrooms to switch for multiple costumes, or should we perhaps keep it simple with only one or two costumes each, as to not crowd out the visitors and burn ourselves out? Sorry if I'm saying anything anyone else has already touched upon, just curious...
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Last edited by Eibii : 04-01-2003 at 06:34 PM.
Unread 04-01-2003, 06:35 PM   #14
Kimiko
Follow Your Dreams

Wooooooooo!!! YAY COLORADO!!!! I'm game. ^^ And I'm sure we have enough cameras between all of us, right? I'm a photograph fiend ::Laughs::

(I saw this on the CO cosplayers LJ thing! yaaay!!!) ^.^;;;

Symphony in Orange Cosplay
Unread 04-01-2003, 08:02 PM   #15
Tsubame_Gaeshi
Swallow_Counter

I guess you're right (Ringo), start small, and see how that works. I was actually thinking about helping with NDK just to see what it's like, so maybe I should get in contact with them here sometime soon. Who knows, maybe eventually I could get another con going, but that is a big commitment and would take a lot more than I perhaps have right now. Anyway, I digress....

As for the gardens (as I work there) I might be able to swing a few things. I let friends in all of the time for free, so if there were only a few of us, there'd be no problem as far as cost is concerned (though I would rather a good sized group, and if nothing else, I could get some really good prices). And too, if it was on a weekend (which I'm sure it will be anyway) I wouldn't have a boss there, and since we at guest services are pretty much the only ones there (on the weekends), I would "effectively" have free reign of the place.

Mwahahahahaha!

Eh hem,

So yeah, if you all think that the DBG will work, I'll take care of it. I "may" even be able to come up with a changing room, but like I said, I'l have to check a few things, and talk to some people.

As far as the weekend of the 17th and 18th go, well, you have a good choice in dates, as the 18th is my birthday. But that really doesn't matter too much (23 really isn't one of those important B-days), and as that is the middle weekend in May, I think it might work best (as not to be too early for E3 goers, or too late for A-Kon, which I may yet attend). And too, if anyone wants to go get a drink or three in celebration of an unknown persons birthday, I say the more the marrier (Ha! That would be fun!).

Again, I digress, I really need to work on that.

So, let's say on either the 17th or the 18th (does anyone have a preferance?) we meet at 2:00pm at the Denver Botanic Gardens (Located at 10th and York St. in Denver, I'll draw up a map later on) for an afternoon of coplay photos and lunch. Does that sound good to everyone? Tell you what, by the end of the week (possibly this weekend) I'll post the finalized announcement both on this and the LJ cosplay community (if someone would be so kind as to let me know the name of said community), will that work?

So, let's get the word out!

And a huge THANKS to everyone yet again for helping out!

Jem
Closed Thread