Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Anime LA

Unread 12-31-2006, 02:04 AM   #1
mlarad
~ Mlarad ~

Weapon Policy

Hi!!
I was looking at the flyer of my registration that says no weapons.
but i want to know if is only like real steel, shooting guns or replicas of shooting guns or you cannot take any kind of weapon or something that goes with the cosplay that looks like a weapon, for example a keyblade or a sword made of wood. if somebody can answer me please from people who attended previously or staff.

thanks!!!

mlarad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-01-2007, 01:44 PM   #2
Fireshark
Craft Foam Alchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlarad View Post
Hi!!
I was looking at the flyer of my registration that says no weapons.
but i want to know if is only like real steel, shooting guns or replicas of shooting guns or you cannot take any kind of weapon or something that goes with the cosplay that looks like a weapon, for example a keyblade or a sword made of wood. if somebody can answer me please from people who attended previously or staff.

thanks!!!
I know that anything that looks like a gun is a big no-no; it's right by the airport, and they'll be cracking down this year more seriously.

I think it's just... respectful of others and yourself to not bring things that could cause problems. Wood swords and similar are fine as far as I know, but I think there are more details on this on the ALA forum boards if you check there!
Fireshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2007, 12:46 PM   #3
BoinkCoBoy
Kevin Roche, CC26 Chair

Here is the entire weapons policy:

It is the policy of Anime Los Angeles that no real or realistic projectile weapons may be carried anywhere within the convention except during the masquerade or specially approved events. The use of a weapon during the Masquerade or during a programming event must be approved by the Masquerade Director or the Programming Coordinator respectively. No weapon of any kind may be drawn or wielded in any area of the hotel or convention space.

Anime Los Angeles defines a weapon as any object designed to cause damage, or any replica of such an object, or any object that the Committee determines to pose a risk to the safety of others or to personal or hotel property. The Committee reserves the right to alter or amend this definition and the right to impound weapons for the duration of Anime Los Angeles. Failure to surrender a weapon for impounding is grounds for immediate revocation of membership without refund and expulsion from the convention.

Dealers who sell weapons must securely wrap each item at the point of sale and provide each customer with a printed copy of these rules.

We at Anime Los Angeles know that most people who would like to carry weapons are sensible and careful individuals. However, we must keep in mind liability, legal issues and our relationship with the hotel. The safety of you, the members, must outweigh any other consideration and it is with this in mind that these policies have been formed.

So imitation blades are probably OK, but you can't wave them around.

Kevin
(Anime Los Angeles Masquerade Director)
Documented Costumer since 1968 (No! Really!)

One of the founders of the International Costumers Guild
Member of the ICG Fairness Guidelines Committee
Recipient, 2007 ICG Lifetime Achievement Award

My Journal: Adventures of an Urban Jungleboy
BoinkCoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2007, 02:43 PM   #4
Silver_Ruby
Walking Spoiler

Thank you for posting that!

Preparing for: Fanime 08 SDCC08 maybe AX08, and maybe Ycon D:
For Faniime08 I am bringing.. Kakashi, Deidara, LOLIMUS PRIME..
SoCal Cosplay
Silver_Ruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2007, 08:46 PM   #5
maggifan
maggifan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoinkCoBoy View Post
Here is the entire weapons policy:

It is the policy of Anime Los Angeles that no real or realistic projectile weapons may be carried anywhere within the convention except during the masquerade or specially approved events. The use of a weapon during the Masquerade or during a programming event must be approved by the Masquerade Director or the Programming Coordinator respectively. No weapon of any kind may be drawn or wielded in any area of the hotel or convention space.

Anime Los Angeles defines a weapon as any object designed to cause damage, or any replica of such an object, or any object that the Committee determines to pose a risk to the safety of others or to personal or hotel property. The Committee reserves the right to alter or amend this definition and the right to impound weapons for the duration of Anime Los Angeles. Failure to surrender a weapon for impounding is grounds for immediate revocation of membership without refund and expulsion from the convention.

Dealers who sell weapons must securely wrap each item at the point of sale and provide each customer with a printed copy of these rules.

We at Anime Los Angeles know that most people who would like to carry weapons are sensible and careful individuals. However, we must keep in mind liability, legal issues and our relationship with the hotel. The safety of you, the members, must outweigh any other consideration and it is with this in mind that these policies have been formed.

So imitation blades are probably OK, but you can't wave them around.

Kevin
(Anime Los Angeles Masquerade Director)

thank you!
maggifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2007, 10:57 AM   #6
Squall
Woo-Hoo!!!

Out of curiousity, what would you consider a blunt/no edge sword that is made of metal and sheathed? Would this be ok to carry around as long as it is not drawn?

Thanks!